What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » MSN offline message problem

MSN offline message problem
Author: Message:
pamw

– / – / Flag
O.P. Huh?  MSN offline message problem
There is a strange thing happen recently. My msn friends told me they have received an offline message from me which is a link to lead them to a website and request them to input their MSN id and password. And the content of the website is msn pic something like that. However, after they have input their msn id and password, it said incorrect id and cannot login.

Actually, I did not post any picture at the Window live website or Space. I have also received such link from one of my friend as well then I have also done the same thing, input the msn id and password and nothing happen. And seems this message only send when you are offline and it appears as an offline message.

Wonder that if anyone has seen this before ? Is this kind of virus ? How can I stop this or remove this kind of offline message being sent again? It is quit annoying that my friend keep asking me what was that ......
05-29-2008 11:32 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Spunky
Former Super Mod

35 / Male / Flag
RE: MSN offline message problem
It is a virus. It is advisable to change your password (and your friend to change theirs). There are instructions on removing such virus' on this forum if you use the search function
<Eljay> "Problems encountered: shit blew up" :zippy:
05-30-2008 12:30 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
pamw

– / – / Flag
O.P. RE: MSN offline message problem
Hi SpunkyLoveMuff, Thanks for your advise and help. I have done the clean up according to the instruction. Finger cross and it will not spread again. :>
05-30-2008 01:46 AM
pathows

RE: MSN offline message problem
Finally found a good solution to this:

Knowing that there are several different issues that can prevent from signing in to Messenger. Among these reasons are, the Microsoft .NET Messenger Service is experiencing a service or maintenance issue. Another possible cause for this error code to happen is that the firewall is blocking connectivity of Messenger to the Internet or the proxy settings are incorrect. Lastly, Windows Live Messenger is blocked in the router. I have provided the steps/procedures that address the causes I have mentioned. Please follow the steps I have provided below as they are listed below:

1. To determine the Microsoft .NET Messenger Service status, visit the following Web site: http://messenger.msn.com/Status.aspx

2.  Verify that Windows Live Messenger is enabled through the firewall. To do this, follow these steps:

a. Visit the following Web site: http://messenger-support.spaces.live.com/

b. In the Frequently Asked Questions section, click How to enable Windows Live Messenger through firewall, and then click the firewall that you have. 

c. If you disabled the firewall in the past, it may still block Messenger. Try to restart the firewall. After the firewall software is running, repeat steps 2a and 2b to make sure that Messenger is enabled through the firewall. Also, try to remove the firewall program that is installed to verify that it is not causing a problem even if it is disabled.

Note: This is only a temporary workaround and you may have to reinstall the firewall software again. If you are not sure which firewalls you have installed on the computer, click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Add or Remove Programs (Windows XP) or Programs and Features (Windows Vista). Then, examine the list of installed programs. Some popular firewall vendors include Norton, McAfee, and Zone Alarm. 

3. Clear the proxy settings in Messenger to establish a direct connection to the Messenger service. To do this, follow these steps:

a. Start Windows Internet Explorer. 

b. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options. 

c. Click the Connections tab, and then click LAN settings. 

d. Click to clear the Automatically detect settings check box. 

e. Click OK two times. 

4.  If you are using a router, try to disconnect (bypass) the router and connect directly to the Internet, and then try to sign in again. 

5.  Verify that Internet Explorer is not set to Work Offline. To do this, follow these steps:

a. Open Internet Explorer. 

b. On the File menu, clear the Work Offline option. 

6.  If the previous steps did not resolve your issue, then try the following:

1.  In Internet Explorer, clear the Check for Server certificate revocation (requires restart) check box. To do this, follow these steps:

a. Start Internet Explorer. 

b. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options. 

Note: If you don't see the Tools menu, press ALT on your keyboard.

c. Click the Advanced tab. 

d. Under Security, clear the Check for Server certificate revocation (requires restart) check box. 

e. Click OK. 

f. Exit Internet Explorer. 

g. Restart computer.

2.  Sign in to Windows Live Messenger again.

I HOPE THIS HELPS! Happy trying!

This post was edited on 06-29-2008 at 05:08 AM by pathows.
06-29-2008 05:03 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: