What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Custom emotion sounds are sent to the server again, why?

Custom emotion sounds are sent to the server again, why?
Author: Message:
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. Custom emotion sounds are sent to the server again, why?
I have custom emotion sounds which I have used at least once before. But when I try to send that sound again after some time, for instance after one week, to one of my contacts, it is sent to the server again. Why is it so? Mustn't it be in the sound server already?
07-11-2008 03:57 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Custom emotion sounds are sent to the server again, why?
I could have been deleted because it might have been reported or deleted for whatever other reason (accident?). Also, if you happened to modify the sound's properties, those are send back to the server also.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
07-11-2008 04:23 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Custom emotion sounds are sent to the server again, why?
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Also, if you happened to modify the sound's properties, those are send back to the server also.
But we are provided an option to update the server while changing sound properties on our computers. If we don't use that button, the server isn't updated. And I tested now and your theory is wrong, sorry.
quote:
It could have been deleted because it might have been reported or deleted for whatever other reason (accident?).
But if one sound is reported and deleted/prohibited, it shouldn't be avaliable after that moment. If it can be re-uploaded by someone who has that sound after a deletion upon a report, then report mechanism would be useless imho.

Only possibility that is left is deletion of the sound by accident. ok. But since I experience this for many sounds, there must be something wrong in the server because it looks like it deletes many sounds on a daily basis.

Edit: Btw, I saw a registry entry named "NeedsLoading" for custom emotion sounds, what does that "Load" stand for, Upload, Download or simply Load?

This post was edited on 07-11-2008 at 07:58 PM by ahmetgns.
07-11-2008 07:24 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Custom emotion sounds are sent to the server again, why?
quote:
Originally posted by ahmetgns
quote:
Also, if you happened to modify the sound's properties, those are send back to the server also.
But we are provided an option to update the server while changing sound properties on our computers. If we don't use that button, the server isn't updated. And I tested now and your theory is wrong, sorry.
The properties are updated if you use that button. You haven't said you didn't used it. So my 'theory' is not wrong, it's just one of the possebilities I've listed. But clearly you didn't used that button...

quote:
quote:
It could have been deleted because it might have been reported or deleted for whatever other reason (accident?).
But if one sound is reported and deleted/prohibited, it shouldn't be avaliable after that moment.
only if it is banned also; deleting and prohibiting are two different things.

quote:
Only possibility that is left is deletion of the sound by accident. ok. But since I experience this for many sounds, there must be something wrong in the server because it looks like it deletes many sounds on a daily basis.
That most likely rules out accidents, true.

quote:
Edit: Btw, I saw a registry entry named "NeedsLoading" for custom emotion sounds, what does that "Load" stand for, Upload, Download or simply Load?
If my memory serves me correctly, it has been some years since I found out, is has got nothing todo with the server at all. It has todo with Plus! itself loading the sound from your hard disk right before it plays. It tells Plus! if a "waiting" message should be shown while loading the sound.

-----------------------------------------------------

Another possebility is that many sounds were corrupted and thus deleted after the problems in the datacenter in June (see Sounds server's status is.....what?).

This post was edited on 07-12-2008 at 03:31 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
07-12-2008 02:47 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Custom emotion sounds are sent to the server again, why?
I found the posts below by chance, it answers my question, thank you for your help.
quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton Custom Sounds Improvements and Stats
Good job patchou :D
I also had a problem that if i use a sound for the 1st time then its to be uploaded to the server rite ???
Then if i dont use it for a few weeks then i again use it then it reuploads it :S
This mainly happens to the sounds that i have made :(
Everything else is great .... keep up the good work ;)
quote:
Originally posted by Patchou in the same thread
Unused sounds are deleted from time to time on the server so yes, sometimes, the sound will be re-uploaded, that's normal :).
08-08-2008 09:39 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: