What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Bug Reports » Downloading MsgPlus if WLM isn't installed

Downloading MsgPlus if WLM isn't installed
Author: Message:
Aardvark

Waterfall! :O

32 / Male / Flag
O.P. Downloading MsgPlus if WLM isn't installed
If you install MP!L without WLM installed, it tells you that you don't have the right version of WLM (8.0) installed for use with MP!L. It then allows you to download the latest version of MP!L - but if we don't have the right version of WLM, shouldn't it download WLM instead?
07-12-2008 05:32 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Volv
Skinning Contest Winner

34 / Male / Flag
RE: Downloading MsgPlus if WLM isn't installed
quote:
Originally posted by Aardvark
but if we don't have the right version of WLM, shouldn't it download WLM instead?
IMO It's because the version of WLM you have installed is none of MsgPlus's business, what is its business is making sure you have the appropriate version of MsgPlus.
If it can't reliably differentiate having no installed WLM from having an incompatible version, then this is how it should stay (in my opinion).

This post was edited on 07-12-2008 at 11:31 AM by Volv.
07-12-2008 06:24 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
It sure can be checked if WLM or MSN Messenger is installed, besides the version of them.

If there aren't any registry keys of WLM or MSN Messenger detected you could be fairly sure that neither is installed. Even an old version would have some specific registry keys.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
07-12-2008 06:46 AM
Aardvark

32 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: Downloading MsgPlus if WLM isn't installed
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
If there aren't any registry keys of WLM or MSN Messenger detected you could be fairly sure that neither is installed. Even an old version would have some specific registry keys.
I knew that but
quote:
Originally posted by MsgPlus-460.exe
This version of Messenger Plus! requires MSN Messenger 8.0 (Windows Live Messenger) or above.

It infers a lack of MSN/WLM. If there was a lack thereof, it would make sense to provide some assistance in attaining it. But instead
quote:
Press OK to download a compatible version of Messenger Plus!

If it had detected some form of WLM 8.0 and above and knew Plus! wasn't compatible, then it would make sense to provide a means to obtain a compatible version. But since it knows there isn't a copy of WLM 8.0 or above on the system it kinda feels inappropriate.
07-12-2008 10:59 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
My point was that it is possible to diffrentiate between detecting if a wrong version is installed or if nothing at all is installed, as a reply to Volv's comment.

----------------------------------

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by MsgPlus-460.exe
This version of Messenger Plus! requires MSN Messenger 8.0 (Windows Live Messenger) or above.

It infers a lack of MSN/WLM. If there was a lack thereof, it would make sense to provide some assistance in attaining it.
No, it does not infers a lack of MSN/WLM, it means you don't have the right version installed. It doesn't mean you have nothing installed.

If no Messenger version is detected, it should show:
quote:
Messenger Plus! Live requires the presence of Windows Live Messenger.
Press OK to open a page to download Windows Live Messenger and run this setup again.

Why this doesn't happen I dunno (though, make absolutely sure you don't have an old Messenger installed or have some left over registry keys).

In case there is something installed but not the right version (eg: MSN Messenger 7) than this behaviour isn't inappropiate. On the contrary, it is better to provide a compatible Plus! version than it is to force the user to update his Messenger software which he is already used to.

Plus! Live does the following to detect Messenger:
Check the registry key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Live\Messenger\InstallationDirectory
in case that fails:
Check the registry key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSNMessenger\InstallationDirectory
in case that fails:
Check the registry key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ProgramFilesDir and then appending "MSN Messenger" to find the path manually
Note that in case this fails, it doesn't try to manually detect Windows Live Messenger. At least not what I could trace/monitor...

In case Messenger really isn't installed, it should show the message shown above in quotes. It used to do that....

PS: If it had detected WLM8 or above it wouldn't show the "this version requires WLM8 or above" message.

This post was edited on 07-12-2008 at 02:45 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
07-12-2008 01:14 PM
Aardvark

32 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Downloading MsgPlus if WLM isn't installed
It's more the wording of the actual warning I find a bit dodgy. I would suggest having the option to download the latest version of WLM as well as possibly updating Plus!, but that just makes things complicated.
07-12-2008 03:48 PM
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
It then allows you to download the latest version of MP!L
You should have said "latest version of M P! only, not Live :)

By the way, this warning depends on the user's point of view. If user wants to use Plus! Live, it must provide an option to download Windows Live Messenger, if user wants to keep on using his current Messenger version, then it must provide an option to download old Plus!. So a radio button option in the alert would be good:

O Download latest public Windows Live Messenger
   (You have to run this setup again after installing Windows Live Messenger)
O Download latest Messenger Plus! version compatible with your Messenger currenlty installed
   (You have already got this version of Plus! installed on your computer)*

*If users has already got old Plus! installed then this option can be greyed out and (You have already got this version of Plus! installed on your computer.) can be written under the option. I don't think this would be complicated like Aardvark said but I believe this is a bit late to implement this, Live versions are already very popular now.

This post was edited on 07-13-2008 at 10:01 PM by ahmetgns.
07-13-2008 09:59 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Aardvark

32 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: Downloading MsgPlus if WLM isn't installed
quote:
Originally posted by ahmetgns
So a radio button option in the alert would be good:

O Download latest Messenger Plus! version compatible with your Messenger currenlty installed
When you put it like that it actually sounds really good.

quote:
I don't think this would be complicated like Aardvark said but I believe this is a bit late to implement this, Live versions are already very popular now.
Not so much complicated as such, but for inexperienced users who have absolutely no idea whatsoever it might confuse them. Many people I talk to have no idea what Windows Live Messenger actually is! Let alone if they have it or not.
07-14-2008 03:37 AM
mattisdada

RRElive.com

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ahmetgns
So a radio button option in the alert would be good:

When you put it like that it actually sounds really good.

Not so much complicated as such, but for inexperienced users who have absolutely no idea whatsoever it might confuse them. Many people I talk to have no idea what Windows Live Messenger actually is! Let alone if they have it or not.
Very true, when ever i speak of Windows Live Messenger, they dont know what i talking about, even if it is installed on there computer and there using it. But if i say "MSN" then they know what im talking about.

The entire thing your getting does sound a bit odd Advark.
Are you sure:
1. You dont have Windows Messenger installed
2. You uninstalled WLM8 at some point and the installer is getting confused because its meeting one cirteria but failing another, therefore beliving it was "Incombatible".

And yes what Ahmetgns saying does make alot of sense. But there is no need to grey it out the entire option. Just a waste of space and "style". You can just add under the button to download the latest version of Windows Live Messenger "Note:(You have already got this version of Plus! installed on your computer" Or something like that.
[Image: Siggy.png]

http://www.rrelive.com/RRElivev2

If you would like my theme for your phpBB3, please contact me.

Thy shouldnt be judged by thy rep givin to you, but by thy rep that you give.
07-14-2008 12:13 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: