What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » cpu, fan, gfx card etc.

cpu, fan, gfx card etc.
Author: Message:
joey

Epoc Faileur.

33 / Other / Flag
O.P. cpu, fan, gfx card etc.
where to start, there's loads of things i want to know but dont really know where/how to find out =p

1. i might get a new cpu, could this mean id need to get a new mobo depending on what cpu i was to get? number of pins etc.

2. i have an AMD Athlon XP, 1400 MHz (10.5 x 133) 1600+ processor and am looking at maybe getting a new heatsink/fan, how specific are they to the CPU and how the hell do i tell if its compatible with my cpu or cpu slot thingymajig?

3. what is the white stuff on the botom on the heatsink? contact grease or something?

4. im also thinking of getting a new gfx card. are different makes/models different sizes? can they be specific on the connector slot size? if so, how would i know if it'll fit on my pc?

5. if i was to get a new cpu/gfx card, would i need to make any changes to the computer settings eg, BIOS etc? my current cpu is 32bit. am i able to get a 64bit one without having to buy other things eg. new mobo?

thanks for the help, i know i can be a real pain in the ass sometimes . ive googled and things but nothing really helped me a lot.

Break my heart all you want, i'm on the NHS.
ever wondered what it's like to ejaculate through your ears...? ;o
07-15-2008 10:32 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
kao
Veteran Member

boring

37 / Male / Flag
RE: cpu, fan, gfx card etc.
That CPU is probably Socket A or something old, so you'll probably need a new motherboard for any new cpu or graphics card (it probably only takes AGP). The white stuff is thermal paste to help cool it down, no you shouldn't need to make any changes to BIOS

This post was edited on 07-15-2008 at 10:44 PM by kao.
07-15-2008 10:43 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
RE: cpu, fan, gfx card etc.
quote:
Originally posted by icd*
1. i might get a new cpu, could this mean id need to get a new mobo depending on what cpu i was to get? number of pins etc.
Yes. If you have a Athlon XP 1600+ now you can almost only fit other Athlon XP CPUs in there, how much faster you can go depends on your specific motherboard model. Anything else means you need to get a new mobo, which probably means new memory and GFX too (guess the current videocard is still AGP?).

quote:
2. i have an AMD Athlon XP, 1400 MHz (10.5 x 133) 1600+ processor and am looking at maybe getting a new heatsink/fan, how specific are they to the CPU and how the hell do i tell if its compatible with my cpu or cpu slot thingymajig?
Not every cooler will fit on just any PC. Identify your CPU (Athlon XP 1600+) and the socket (Socket A i believe, but check your mobo information). Look at the manufacturer's site if the if the cooler you want will fit. With the Athlon XPs being relatively old it may be a bit more work to find a nice one these days.

quote:
what is the white stuff on the botom on the heatsink? contact grease or something?
Cooling paste. But you shouldn't be able to see that without taking the heatsink off the CPU. If you did take the heatsink off the CPU you should clean all the cooling paste off, apply new paste, and put it back together again.

quote:
4. im also thinking of getting a new gfx card. are different makes/models different sizes? can they be specific on the connector slot size? if so, how would i know if it'll fit on my pc?

Yes there are. Your current mobo is probably AGP while all the new cards are PCI-e. Check your mobo's manual for the exact specifications on which boards are supported.

quote:
5. if i was to get a new cpu/gfx card, would i need to make any changes to the computer settings eg, BIOS etc
Probably not, but you do have to update the graphics drivers in Windows.

quote:
my current cpu is 32bit. am i able to get a 64bit one without having to buy other things eg. new mobo?
If you're planning on getting a new graphics card i would recommend you upgrade your mobo, cpu, memory and gpu all together.

I highly recommend you upgrade your mobo, cpu, memory and gpu all together anyway, you won't really improve your system spending money on a few components in systems like this. CPU, memory and GPU highly depend on eachother, if one of these is slow the others wont preform well either. New CPU/RAM/GPU wont work without a new mobo, and newer components like this might need a more powerful power supply too. While you're at it, get a new case to improve cooling for the extra heat the new components generate....

... You get the picture, once you get a new mobo you might as well be looking for an entire new system :).
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
07-15-2008 10:57 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: