What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Chat Log Images

Chat Log Images
Author: Message:
kiljaeden

40 / Male / Flag
O.P. Chat Log Images
Hello, I'd like to first thank Patchou for creating an amazing piece of software that turns plain ol' Messenger to something delightful to use, and also the testers for helping ensure quality, bug-free software (Y)

Now on to my little issue. I'm using WLM with MsgPlus on both my desktop and laptop, with chat logging enabled, encrypted and saved as HTML. So as such, there are two sets of chat logs. Periodically, I transfer all my chat logs from my laptop to the desktop to consolidate everything. There are several occasions where I'd have to rename those on the laptop (usually by adding "(2)" to the filename) before transferring. The problem is, the images saved by MsgPlus are named in such a way like "MsgPlus_Img1234.png". No problem there, but having two different images with the same filename, so if I overwrite the images from the laptop, it messes up the chatlogs already saved on the desktop.

I'd just like to ask if there's anyway to format the images' filenames from something sequential like "MsgPlus_Img1234" to something like "MsgPlus_ImgDDMMYY_HHNNSS" (indicating date and time of occurrence of image). I realize we could end up with hundreds of long filenames, but it is just a suggestion.

Also, I wanted to ask if there's a way to save those images as GIFs so that we could see animations when viewing chat logs, but I see it's covered in another thread.

Thanks for your time!
12-21-2008 08:45 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
ryxdp

29 / Male / Flag
RE: Chat Log Images
quote:
Originally posted by kiljaeden
I'd just like to ask if there's anyway to format the images' filenames from something sequential like "MsgPlus_Img1234" to something like "MsgPlus_ImgDDMMYY_HHNNSS" (indicating date and time of occurrence of image). I realize we could end up with hundreds of long filenames, but it is just a suggestion.

And what would happen if the emoticon is used again? :P There would have to be a large amount of copies of the same emoticon, which would take up heaps of disk space, especially in the situation of a conversation that could span out over a couple of days, or a lot of conversations, etc. I'd just leave them as they are.
12-21-2008 08:40 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
kiljaeden

40 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Chat Log Images
Hey, I never thought of that :$

Perhaps then, a single folder for all images? Images could be saved with the same shortcut commands used to show emoticons. For example, for ":D", the image file could be saved as "img_D" or something. For custom emoticons, since different people may have different custom emoticons for "lol", "wtf", etc, those images could be saved as per contact.

I'm just thinking of ways to ensure images are displayed correctly when viewing the chat logs and, if possible, the way they are made to be seen (ie. animations, etc).

I feel emoticons are important because they are used to convey a person's feelings at any point of time during a conversation. It would suck to see something like "I (N) you" instead of "I (L) you" in your chat logs. Get what I'm trying to say? ;)

Thanks for the reply!

This post was edited on 12-22-2008 at 06:54 AM by kiljaeden.
12-22-2008 06:53 AM
Gulliver_69

RE: Chat Log Images
Hi all, and sorry for my english.
I'm waiting for the new MSGPL and in the meantime I've read this POST. I think that the best solution is to save the images with a sort of HASH or CRC code in the name (i.e.: img_ef2348c7ab45). This could to be a rock solid and final solution. :-)
12-22-2008 07:43 PM
kiljaeden

40 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Chat Log Images
Thanks for the reply, Gulliver_69.

If the software were to use CRC or other types of hashes, the user will end up with many copies of the same image (perhaps each displaying slightly differently due to animation), don't you think so?

My suggestion takes into consideration that all images are saved once, so as to avoid as much redundancy as possible (1 file for 1 image). Helps to keep the chat log folders tidy :)

This isn't really a big issue, but I think would be a nice addition to MsgPlus!.
12-26-2008 07:54 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: