What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Send Photo from WL Photo Gallery to WLM?

Send Photo from WL Photo Gallery to WLM?
Author: Message:
ycomp

O.P. Huh?  Send Photo from WL Photo Gallery to WLM?
Hi,

I would like to be able to send a photo from Photo Gallery to WLM...

any suggestions how?

perhaps I can add some program to the "open" drop down list that will send a file to WLM... ? anyone know?
07-21-2008 02:53 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Send Photo from WL Photo Gallery to WLM?
quote:
Originally posted by ycomp
perhaps I can add some program to the "open" drop down list that will send a file to WLM... ? anyone know?
Not with just Messenger.

You would need an extra tool, addon or a Plus! script for that to work. But even then it wouldn't be that easy...

The program you would add needs to be able to detect if you can actually send a file to a contact. Thus it needs to check if your status is not offline, that you have online contacts, that the contacts aren't on the Yahoo network, etc....

And in case you have multiple Messenger clients open, it must also be able to let you select to which Messenger client.

Now, all this is not impossible todo.

Take for example the script SendTo which adds a submenu to your Send-To context menu in Windows. In that way you can send any file you can right-click to a Messenger contact. Unfortunatly, Windows Live Gallery doesn't show a Send-To context menu as far as I know (which is realy very stupid, imho).

But the very same principle used with the SendTo script can be used to create a script for adding a program in the "open with" context menu.

In fact, you can use the SendTo script for this without any modification! All it requires is to make a small batch file or shortcut which links to _sendfile.exe used by the SendTo script.

That EXE requires 3 parameters:

- 1st: The email address which is used to log in to Messenger. This must be the same email address as the active Messenger login. Using another one or a random one will not work. This is to identify the proper Messenger client in case of polygamy (multi Messenger clients running at the same time).

- 2nd: That same email address again. Normally this parameter is used to select to which contact you want to send the file to. But the "open with" menu does not allow for submenus. So this feature can not be used for this purpose and thus requires that it is the same as the first parameter. Again adding another one or a random one will not work.

- 3rd: the list of filenames you want to send. Of course each file including the full path name and enclosed in quotes.

Thus, the batch file you would need must look like this:
    @echo off
    "C:\path to the sendto script\_sendfile.exe" ycomp@mail.com ycomp@mail.com %*

Where ycomp@mail.com is obviously your real login mail to Messenger

Name that batch file "WLM - ycomp@mail.com.cmd" or something, and place it wherever you want. Then you can browse to it from the "open with" menu and select it.

Of course, you can do the same thing with a simple link/shortcut to the _sendfile.exe file. In links/shortcuts you can also add parameters in the target field. But if you choose to use a link/shortcut instead of a batch file, don't add the '%*' parameter as that is something specific for batch files. So, just leave the third parameter blank. You'll end up with:

Shortcut properties > shortcut tab > target field:
"C:\path to the sendto script\_sendfile.exe" ycomp@mail.com ycomp@mail.com

The reason you need this batch file, or shortcut, is because you need to enter the first two parameters, which you can't do by directly selecting the _sendfile.exe file from the "open with" menu. The third parameter will automatically be added or filled in by Windows when you select the batch file or shortcut from the "open with" menu.

PS: You don't need to set the options in the SendTo script to "Launch Contact Selector" for this to work. It is made in such a way that you can mix the two modes on the fly, especially for purposes like this.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Of course, a much shorter alternative is simply dragging the pictures to the conversation window button on the taskbar to bring that conversation on top. And then dropping the pictures in the typing area of the conversation window.

;)

This post was edited on 07-21-2008 at 08:31 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
07-21-2008 08:16 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
ycomp

O.P. RE: Send Photo from WL Photo Gallery to WLM?
thanks for the help... really informative post. However, I almost feel guilty saying that the last paragraph is all I need :D

I wasn't thinking when I posted the original post, didn't try something so obvious.
07-21-2008 10:22 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
As long as it works for you, I'm happy ;)
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
07-21-2008 10:42 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
aNILEator
Skinning Contest Winner

...in the wake of the aNILEator

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

Of course, a much shorter alternative is simply dragging the pictures to the conversation window button on the taskbar to bring that conversation on top. And then dropping the pictures in the typing area of the conversation window.

Been doing it all night.... Cookie is a bit too techie sometimes
07-21-2008 10:50 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: