What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » !!!TWO MAJOR PROBLEMS WITH MESSENGER!!!

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
!!!TWO MAJOR PROBLEMS WITH MESSENGER!!!
Author: Message:
zabrak

O.P. !!!TWO MAJOR PROBLEMS WITH MESSENGER!!!
Okay first problem is:

First problem: I can't delete my old version of MSN messenger. it gives me an error saying "Cannot delete msmsgs.exe: it is being used by another person or program.

Close any programs that might be using the file and try again"

Now that's the strangest thing, because I opened up my Task Manager and MSN was not NOT being used, and I was nto logged into any other accounts? I re-started my computer at least 5 times, and the problem still persists.

Second Problem: Windows Live Messenger 9 Beta was acting hella weird, it kept giving me errors whenever I tried to log in. I had enough with that so I decided to un-install it and just go with windows live messenger 8.5 (the final version) for like a week or whatever and try again later. Well, I can install it fine and all of that, but it won't let me run the program; it gives me another error message.

"C:/Program Files/Windows Live/Messenger/msnmsgr.exe

This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem."

....I've done that twice. Help? :|:(

08-03-2008 04:04 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
spongeboy

RE: !!!TWO MAJOR PROBLEMS WITH MESSENGER!!!
Hello, are you talking about Windows Messenger (the messenger that comes with your computer)? I don't think you can delete that one since it's factory default. If it's not that version, check on the task bar (bottom of the screen on the right) to see if MSN is still there. If it is, right click and click Exit . You can't just log off MSN to close it.
08-03-2008 04:34 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
zabrak

O.P. RE: RE: !!!TWO MAJOR PROBLEMS WITH MESSENGER!!!
quote:
Originally posted by spongeboy
Hello, are you talking about Windows Messenger (the messenger that comes with your computer)? I don't think you can delete that one since it's factory default. If it's not that version, check on the task bar (bottom of the screen on the right) to see if MSN is still there. If it is, right click and click Exit . You can't just log off MSN to close it.

Yeah for the first probem, I'm talking about the the old default one. Thanks for the info though. WHat about problem #2 ?
08-03-2008 04:43 AM
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
Simple solution... don't use buggy beta software ment to be a private beta.
08-03-2008 05:01 AM
spongeboy

Sorry, I'm not sure about your second problem. Try restoring your system. Click on this link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306084 to do this. Also know that this is MSN 9.0 BETA, so it may contain a few bugs that need to be fixed before the official release.
08-03-2008 05:03 AM
zabrak

quote:
Originally posted by matty
Simple solution... don't use buggy beta software ment to be a private beta.

the FINAL version of 8.5 is ******* up
quote:
Sorry, I'm not sure about your second problem. Try restoring your system. Click on this link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306084 to do this. Also know that this is MSN 9.0 BETA, so it may contain a few bugs that need to be fixed before the official release.

no no no. Remember, windows 8.5 Final is giving me that error :/
08-03-2008 05:20 AM
spongeboy

I think I may have found out a way to delete Windows Messenger. Try this.
1.Click Start, Control Panel
2.Click on Add or Remove Programs
3.Click Add or Remove Windows Components on the left
4.Scroll down the Components box until you see Windows Messenger. It should have a check mark next to it so then click the check mark to get rid of the check
5. Click Next
08-03-2008 05:29 AM
zabrak

quote:
I think I may have found out a way to delete Windows Messenger. Try this.
1.Click Start, Control Panel
2.Click on Add or Remove Programs
3.Click Add or Remove Windows Components on the left
4.Scroll down the Components box until you see Windows Messenger. It should have a check mark next to it so then click the check mark to get rid of the check
5. Click Next

Thanks! But I should have just un-installed windows 8.5 for the last time, and then upgraded the default msn to 8.5 when asked...Now that I removed windows messenger I'm afraid I removed all my display pictures....Everything. I'm pissed off! But hey w/e 8-)
08-03-2008 05:42 AM
Spunky
Former Super Mod

35 / Male / Flag
Both errors are being caused by the same thing; some process is apparantly using msnmsgr.exe... This means that 8.5 installed OK, except for that one file, which could not be replaced and you still have the version of the file from MSN 7.0/7.5

I would have recommended trying to rename the file first rather than deleting it (which I usually have more success with), or downloading a small utility called Unlocker which manages to remove a processes "grip" on a file freeing it up for deletion etc.
<Eljay> "Problems encountered: shit blew up" :zippy:
08-03-2008 05:59 AM
spongeboy

Glad I helped! But that sucks you're display pictures are gone. Do you still have the saved pictures in your documents somewhere? If not, sorry.:(
08-03-2008 06:00 AM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: