What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Cant connect to messenger!!

Cant connect to messenger!!
Author: Message:
razor-

O.P. Cant connect to messenger!!
Hey,
This problem started days ago, i couldnt sign into messenger, when i done the troubleshooting there was no icon next to host files (no yellow triangle and no Tick) and when i went into C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc there were no files in there, it was just an empty folder, so i uninstalled messenger and when i tried to install it again through wlmessenger i would get to 99% then wouldnt download any further, i tried deleting all the old installation files and messenger files and still no luck so i downloaded a standalone messenger and that downloaded and installed fine,

Now i was still having the host file problems (no yellow triangle and no tick) still no files in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc so i downloaded hostfileupdater and ran that and clicked on restore original host files now there were 2 files in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc hosts and hosts.msn but now when i ran the troubleshooter i was getting a yellow triangle next to host files and tried to repair it and when the option came up to clean the host files i clicked yes but that didnt fix it.. so i ran hostfileupdater again and this time clicked on update host file still 2 files in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc but they have different stuff in them now and when i ran troubleshooter i got ticks for everything but it still wot sign in it just sits there trying for ages,

Please help

Edit: After a while it came up with this:

you cannot use windows live messenger at this time because your contact list is not avalible, please try again later
Error code:81000378

Im pretty sure i deleted the folder called contact list when messenger was not getting past 99% download because i was told to delete everything messenger related but my contacts arnt gone because i signed into hotmail and checked my contacts lkist and there all still there

This post was edited on 08-07-2008 at 05:02 AM by razor-.
08-07-2008 04:55 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
xjup

47 / Female / Flag
RE: Cant connect to messenger!!
This might help you: http://messenger-support.spaces.live.com/blog/cns...8B853F!12965.entry I'm no expert though, just saw it while glancing around.

Your contacts aren't saved just in your messenger though. Everytime you add a contact, it adds them to your hotmail address book too. You won't lose your contacts just because you deleted the program from your computer.
08-07-2008 06:28 AM
razor-

O.P. RE: Cant connect to messenger!!
ok i just reebooted the laptop and i tried to sign in and after a long wait it signed in but its saying that non of my 200 contacts are online which is weird but maybe nobody is,
08-07-2008 06:52 AM
razor-

well people signed on then it said they were there but i think there were other people on but it didnt say they were, but now its giving me the missing contactserror and i cant sign in
08-07-2008 08:43 AM
razor-

nuh its sayin everybody is offline...
08-07-2008 02:32 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites