What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » [Suggestion] Plus!/Messenger settings anywhere we sign in

[Suggestion] Plus!/Messenger settings anywhere we sign in
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: RE: [Suggestion] Plus!/Messenger settings anywhere we sign in
quote:
Originally posted by Dex Luther
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
If it is just for 1 time, then what is the point of the feature? In that case you could simple export/import your settings using a USB stick or whatever. imho.

Do you import your settings every time you log in on your computer?

I don't see the point in having it import your settings every time you log it. It just seems like an unnecessary load/hassle.

It would be handy as a first log in thing though as not everyone carries around a USB stick 24/7, and the version saved in an email to one self might not be the most up-to-date one.
You're contradicting yourself...

The point I was making is that if you're only going to import settings once, then what is the point of having the ability to do it from a network drive or from the cloud?

As for not being able to carry an USB stick 24/7: That is exactly it. You _wont_ need to carry the USB stick _24/7_ since, as you said so yourself, you only import your settings _once_ and be done with. Thus that is carrying an USB stick to your other machine _once_...

Hence, I repeat my question: what is the point of making a full blown networked feature when people are only going to use it once anyways?

The biggest benefit of having a remote location to store your settings is exactly that you don't need to carry an USB stick 24/7 anymore when you're changing settings _all the time_ on different machines. So, when you say you are _not_ going to change settings all the time and you would only import them _once_, then there is not much point for such a remote location either as it wouln't be used a lot.

---

Note: I'm not against such a feature, I would use it since I have multiple PCs. But don't contradict yourselfs when you reply saying that you normally only import settings _once_, and then suggesting that it would be a handy feature assuming you _regulary_ need to import/sync settings.

Again, if you only import settings _once_ then there is no need for such a feature because you might as well just use an USB stick _once_ in that case.

;)

Anyways, not possible with a script anyways. And even with the feature build in Plus! itself, you still would need to restart Messenger each time. Thus not very convenient and thus not worth the hassle if you're going to use that feature on a regular basis. And if you're not going to use that feature on a regular basis, I doubt Patchou will add it...

Anyways, making something like this as a very small but seperate Windows script/program would be perfectly possible though. And I think that would be the way to go for such a feature.

This post was edited on 08-25-2008 at 07:36 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
08-25-2008 07:19 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
[Suggestion] Plus!/Messenger settings anywhere we sign in - by riahc4 on 08-11-2008 at 01:50 PM
RE: [Suggestion] Plus!/Messenger settings anywhere we sign in - by Dempsey on 08-12-2008 at 08:52 AM
RE: [Suggestion] Plus!/Messenger settings anywhere we sign in - by RaceProUK on 08-13-2008 at 09:13 PM
RE: [Suggestion] Plus!/Messenger settings anywhere we sign in - by prashker on 08-13-2008 at 09:45 PM
RE: [Suggestion] Plus!/Messenger settings anywhere we sign in - by mynetx on 08-14-2008 at 04:42 PM
RE: [Suggestion] Plus!/Messenger settings anywhere we sign in - by RaceProUK on 08-14-2008 at 05:16 PM
RE: [Suggestion] Plus!/Messenger settings anywhere we sign in - by riahc4 on 08-22-2008 at 10:33 AM
RE: [Suggestion] Plus!/Messenger settings anywhere we sign in - by Jesus on 08-22-2008 at 11:29 AM
RE: [Suggestion] Plus!/Messenger settings anywhere we sign in - by Menthix on 08-22-2008 at 11:52 AM
RE: [Suggestion] Plus!/Messenger settings anywhere we sign in - by riahc4 on 08-24-2008 at 10:34 PM
RE: [Suggestion] Plus!/Messenger settings anywhere we sign in - by CookieRevised on 08-24-2008 at 11:09 PM
RE: [Suggestion] Plus!/Messenger settings anywhere we sign in - by Jesus on 08-24-2008 at 11:17 PM
RE: [Suggestion] Plus!/Messenger settings anywhere we sign in - by riahc4 on 08-24-2008 at 11:53 PM
RE: [Suggestion] Plus!/Messenger settings anywhere we sign in - by Nathan on 08-24-2008 at 11:57 PM
RE: [Suggestion] Plus!/Messenger settings anywhere we sign in - by Menthix on 08-24-2008 at 11:58 PM
RE: [Suggestion] Plus!/Messenger settings anywhere we sign in - by CookieRevised on 08-25-2008 at 12:51 AM
RE: [Suggestion] Plus!/Messenger settings anywhere we sign in - by Nathan on 08-25-2008 at 12:56 AM
RE: [Suggestion] Plus!/Messenger settings anywhere we sign in - by Dex Luther on 08-25-2008 at 06:01 AM
RE: [Suggestion] Plus!/Messenger settings anywhere we sign in - by CookieRevised on 08-25-2008 at 06:22 AM
RE: RE: [Suggestion] Plus!/Messenger settings anywhere we sign in - by Dex Luther on 08-25-2008 at 04:41 PM
RE: RE: RE: [Suggestion] Plus!/Messenger settings anywhere we sign in - by Vilkku on 08-25-2008 at 04:56 PM
RE: RE: RE: [Suggestion] Plus!/Messenger settings anywhere we sign in - by CookieRevised on 08-25-2008 at 07:19 PM
RE: [Suggestion] Plus!/Messenger settings anywhere we sign in - by Basilis on 08-25-2008 at 08:24 AM
RE: [Suggestion] Plus!/Messenger settings anywhere we sign in - by djdannyp on 08-25-2008 at 09:37 AM
RE: [Suggestion] Plus!/Messenger settings anywhere we sign in - by riahc4 on 08-25-2008 at 12:05 PM
RE: [Suggestion] Plus!/Messenger settings anywhere we sign in - by Vilkku on 08-25-2008 at 07:47 PM

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: