What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Disable End Process/Stop Service

Disable End Process/Stop Service
Author: Message:
Aardvark

Waterfall! :O

32 / Male / Flag
O.P. Disable End Process/Stop Service
My brother constantly spams away on the internet, not giving a stuff about anyone else, and draining our very limited downloads. I try to tell him not to, even try to get Dad to stop him, but alas nothing works, one reason being "I can't prove anything."

To circumvent this I've installed a program onto all of our computers to monitor how much we download so if suddenly we're way over our limit, I can say look this is how much x y and z have downloaded therefore they're the one abusing our internet. However my brother, being completely and utterly irresponsible, does not care for this, and spams away downloading videos and whatnot, completely disregarding the fact Dad and I NEED THE INTERNET for our online courses, and if the speed gets dropped down then it's very hard for us to do so.

He has figured out (which most tech-savvy people would see as common sense) that if he closes the process or ends the service (regardless if he closes one the other closes also) then his usage won't be monitored and he'll keep on getting away with it.

I need to know how to stop him from being able to close the process. I know it can be done because our school's got it on other various processes/services. I've already tried a number of things including group policy, editing permissions, and tweaking the registry, however none of these solve the problem. Google suggests I use a program such as one written in VB to solve the issue - however my VB skills are limited and the VB solutions which actually give the code do not stop the user from ending one process, they stop the user from ending all processes.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
08-13-2008 08:34 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
segosa
Community's Choice

RE: Disable End Process/Stop Service
as mentioned on IRC:
  1. install dd-wrt on the router and set his ethernet cable to low priority
  2. install dd-wrt on the router and monitor his bandwidth on a per-ethernet port basis
  3. name the bandwidth monitor on his PC as 'svchost.exe'
  4. install it as a rootkit and hide it from taskmanager
  5. tell him it's against god so he'll stop
  6. get your dad to discipline him
  7. alternatively, tell your dad it's against god NOT to discipline him
  8. unplug him, destroy his ethernet cable
  9. destroy his computer
  10. destroy him
The previous sentence is false. The following sentence is true.
08-13-2008 09:00 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
andrewdodd13

Oh so retro

34 / Male / Flag
RE: Disable End Process/Stop Service
Segs suggestions. Or give him limited user access rights and tell him to suck it.
[Image: AndrewsStyle.png]
08-13-2008 09:53 PM
Aardvark

Waterfall! :O

32 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: Disable End Process/Stop Service
quote:
Originally posted by andrewdodd13
give him limited user access rights and tell him to suck it.
That was also suggested on IRC. For the moment I've tried making his account a Power User, and the process run as an Administrator - theoretically the Administrator has higher access privileges than the Power User so he shouldn't be able to end the task. If that doesn't work I'll slowly decrease his account until he can't do shit about it. :P
08-14-2008 05:14 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: