What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » RAM/BIOS/Mobo failure? MemTest errors on every module

RAM/BIOS/Mobo failure? MemTest errors on every module
Author: Message:
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. RAM/BIOS/Mobo failure? MemTest errors on every module
I need some help figuring out what's wrong with my new system.

The system is unstable (random BSODs). All drivers and the BIOS are up to date. Memtest86+ v2.01 (latest version) shows errors on all the RAM modules (a few in test 3, a lot in tests 5 and 6).
I don't think the memory sticks are faulty. The same RAM was running fine in my previous machine. I also tried modules from another system and got the same type of errors. I suspect it's something with my BIOS settings or a faulty mobo, but i like to be sure. The parts were bought online, some parts from a different store. Unnecessary RMAs could take a lot of time, so how can i be sure it's not a BIOS setting and isolate the problem to a single hardware part?

System specs:
- Mobo: Asus P5Q Deluxe
- CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad,Q9450
- RAM: 8GB OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 (4*2GB in dual channel)
- Alternative RAM (also showing errors): Kingston HyperX DDR2 KHX6400D2LLK2/2G (PDF link!) (2*1GB dual channel)
- GPU: Asus EN9600GT SILENT/HTDI/512M

What I've tried so far:
- Ran Memtest in various RAM configurations (each socket and module individually), errors every time.
- Disconnected unneeded parts like networkcard, TV card, soundcard
- Disabled unneeded parts in BIOS, like integrated audio and LAN.
- Tried different RAM (see alternative RAM in system specs). Still a lot of errors.
- Tried setting the RAM timings manually, but this resulted in even more errors. I probably messed that up myself, there are a lot of timing settings in this BIOS and it's confusing me :(. Help from somebody familiar with RAM timings and voltages highly appreciated :).
- Reset all BIOS settings back to default.

Still no fix so far. At this point i think it's unlikely the RAM itself is broken. It seems to be the motherboard, but usually just a single memory socket dies, i haven't heard of all four sockets dying before (but still a possibility). Another reason could be the BIOS settings, but at the moment they are set to default, all my RAM in all my previous systems ran fine under default BIOS settings.

It's around 1am right now and i don't want to wake people up, but will do more tests tomorrow. All help and suggestions are welcome.

I'll see if i can get the old system running tomorrow and see what Memtest says on that machine. If Memtest is fine on the same RAM in another machine i guess it's definitely either the BIOS settings or the mobo is failing.

Some google results suggest setting the timings manually and/or a higher voltage to the memory. I'm not too sure about that, shouldn't the BIOS detect the safe default settings? I never overclocked my RAM or played around with memory BIOS settings.

Any help/suggestions?

This post was edited on 07-20-2008 at 11:24 PM by Menthix.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
07-20-2008 11:23 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Voldemort
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
RE: RAM/BIOS/Mobo failure? MemTest errors on every module
this might be silly and stupid, but could it be a problem with memtest with that hardware or something?
*All posts are a purely speculative hypothesis based on abstract reasoning.
Not my daughter, you bitch!
[Image: ico-mollytrix16.gif]
07-21-2008 04:14 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: RAM/BIOS/Mobo failure? MemTest errors on every module
If so, that wouldn't change the fact Vista randomly spawns BSODs.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
07-21-2008 12:30 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Another factor might be some drivers, especially because of the BSODs.

Having the latest drivers isn't always a good thing (I experienced this myself with the driver for my network card.... even if I disable my network card I still get BSODs sometimes (usually pointing to faulty RAM... go figure) when using the latest network driver. Using a slightly older driver everything works ok).

Have you contacted Asus Support about this problem?

Other than that, I can't suggest anything more than what you've already tried, sorry. But I'm also interested to read follow ups and other suggestions as I sometimes have the same problems on other systems.

This post was edited on 07-21-2008 at 01:12 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
07-21-2008 01:11 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
are you sure the memory isn't undervolted? i had the exact same problem one day and it turned out my ram was set to 1.85v when it needed to be at least 1.9v :p
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
07-21-2008 01:33 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
Thanks for the suggestions.

Did the Memtest in my old system today with the same RAM. This time all modules passed without a single error, so bad RAM modules is definitely ruled out.

Higher RAM voltages don't seem to help. I tried up to 2.20 volt, not sure how save higher values are.

I contacted Asus with a few specific questions, should get a reply within 48 hours. Depending on their reply i'll probably have the board replaced and hope that fixes everything.

Also posted this issue on Neowin, there are a few more suggestion there but those didn't help either: http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=650295
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
07-21-2008 10:59 PM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
Finally got a reply from Asus:
quote:
Originally posted by Asus tech support
kindlty note this memory is not running on default voltages (1,8v for DDR2),
although higher voltaged memory can be faster then normal voltage RAM, it is not
specifically recommended.

Please do a CMOS reset first (disconnect power from the board and place your BIOS
battery upside down in the socket for at least 30 secs and place it back), then try
the following suggestions;

Kindly check if the memory requires specific timings settings (usually on the
package of the memory) and check if the motheboard's BIOS can provide these
settings. I would also check if the memory gives the same errors when you only use 1
or 2 banks and swap them over with another 1 or 2 you have.

We could be focussing on a RAM problem to much, also a badly connectted or defective
VGA card or !
CPU could cause similar symptoms.

with kind regards, met vriendelijke groet,
TSD@Asus

Will try the things i didn't do yet they suggested tomorrow, but guess it will end up in RMA. Almost got used to using singlemonitor laptop :o.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
08-01-2008 01:26 AM
ipab
Veteran Member

Design Evolved

34 / Male / Flag
Check your PM.
56656E692C 20566964692C 2056696369
08-01-2008 03:36 AM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
Got my replacement motherboard today (same model). Took so much time mainly because i sent it late, and wasn't home when they delivered the new one. The store was actually quite fast.

Ran Memtest86+ again on the new mobo with all 8GB of RAM and default BIOS settings. Test 1 and 2 went fine, but when i came back later it was halfway test 5 and showing over 500000 errors.

Went into the BIOS and set some of the RAM settings manually:
  • DRAM Frequency: DDR2-800MHz
  • DRAM Timing Control: Manual
  • CAS# Latency: 4
  • DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay: 4
  • DRAM RAS# Precharge: 4
  • RAS# Activate tp Precharge Time: 15
  • DRAM Voltage: 2.14
    I set it this high straight away because i saw OCZ's warranty isn't broken when using voltages up to 2.15V on this specific model, and i was frustrated a new mobo didn't seem to help. Don't do this with your own RAM, start increasing voltages by small steps and see if it solves your problems.
    All the numbers above depend on the specific module you have. If you're trying to fix a similar problem to mine, check the site of the manufacturer for correct specs.
As far as i can remember i did the same thing on the original mobo too, but surprisingly this time it only showed 1 error on a full Memtest run. Doing some further testing revealed 1 of the RAM modules is bad, but the others are testing fine now (unlike on the first mobo).

I'll keep Memtest running during the night with 4GB (2 modules). If no errors show up I'll RMA the other 2 modules (dual channel set) and the system should be running fine. Still need to upgrade the BIOS on this one and install Vista, but it looks like i might finally get to use this system.

FINAL EDIT: BIOS Update complete and defect module RMA-ed, have been running the system stable for a few days now (y).

quote:
Originally posted by ipab
Check your PM.
I tried it, but couldn't get it to work. It kept on seeking a floppy or something. Thanks tho :).

This post was edited on 08-27-2008 at 01:38 PM by Menthix.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
08-19-2008 10:51 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: