What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Images saved in Chat Logs: How do I make them save as .gif files and not .png?

Images saved in Chat Logs: How do I make them save as .gif files and not .png?
Author: Message:
vaccination
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
RE: Images saved in Chat Logs: How do I make them save as .gif files and not .png?
Yeah, Adeptus, you're completely wrong.

Those two quotes state the exact same thing(changing file name only changes it's file name, not it's format.)

Secondly there is no software, and never will be, to convert a static png(that was saved from a .gif*) back to a .gif and somehow reanimate it. This is because the png only contains ONE static image, therefore there's nothing to animate.

When Plus! saves an .png from a .gif in the chat logs, it just captures one of the frames(I guess the first or last frame) and saves that data as a single, static, one-frame, png. This png will not have any other data from the gif(so no hidden layers with the data for the other frames(like a gif does)) - This makes it impossible to re-animate as there isn't any data within the file to use other than the data for the first 'frame' in the png.

(and APNG is a "completely" different format, APNG != PNG)

*Ofcourse, if you were to rename 'animation.gif' to 'animation.png', a application could easily "reanimate" it, infact you wouldn't even need an application, if you just renamed it to 'animation.gif' again it'd "regain" it's animation - HOWEVER this is only due to the fact that the original image contained all the data(all the frames etc) for the animation, and by renaming it to .png all you did was change the extension, NOT the format of the file(and thus did not remove any data from the file, so all the animation data is still there - only that windows believes it to now be a png, and opens it with the default png viewer/editor, which will then do what it will with it(if it supports gifs, it'll animate, if it doesn't it'll display the first frame))

I'm aware APNG isn't completely different to PNG, but in this argument, it really shouldn't of even been mentioned ;p

--

quote:
Originally posted by Jesus
quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
only that windows believes it to now be a png, and opens it as such, and thus only displays the first frame

Actually, it will still animate the renamed .gif (at least the integrated windows viewer will) because internally, the file still looks like a gif and thus will be opened as such.

Yeah I've edited that now(I was already discussing it with Cookie) - I was getting confused because my default program for PNG is Windows Photo Gallery, which cannot display animated GIFs and so was only displaying first frame(I'm on Vista))

This post was edited on 08-27-2008 at 04:21 PM by vaccination.
[Image: jumbled.png]
08-27-2008 08:34 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Images saved in Chat Logs: How do I make them save as .gif files and not .png? - by keenan777 on 08-26-2008 at 05:02 PM
RE: Images saved in Chat Logs: How do I make them save as .gif files and not .png? - by Spunky on 08-26-2008 at 07:56 PM
RE: Images saved in Chat Logs: How do I make them save as .gif files and not .png? - by keenan777 on 08-26-2008 at 10:06 PM
RE: Images saved in Chat Logs: How do I make them save as .gif files and not .png? - by CookieRevised on 08-26-2008 at 10:18 PM
RE: Images saved in Chat Logs: How do I make them save as .gif files and not .png? - by keenan777 on 08-26-2008 at 10:52 PM
RE: Images saved in Chat Logs: How do I make them save as .gif files and not .png? - by CookieRevised on 08-26-2008 at 11:02 PM
RE: Images saved in Chat Logs: How do I make them save as .gif files and not .png? - by Adeptus on 08-27-2008 at 12:15 AM
RE: Images saved in Chat Logs: How do I make them save as .gif files and not .png? - by prashker on 08-27-2008 at 12:49 AM
RE: Images saved in Chat Logs: How do I make them save as .gif files and not .png? - by Adeptus on 08-27-2008 at 01:18 AM
RE: Images saved in Chat Logs: How do I make them save as .gif files and not .png? - by CookieRevised on 08-27-2008 at 02:39 AM
RE: Images saved in Chat Logs: How do I make them save as .gif files and not .png? - by Adeptus on 08-27-2008 at 03:44 AM
RE: Images saved in Chat Logs: How do I make them save as .gif files and not .png? - by CookieRevised on 08-27-2008 at 07:45 AM
RE: Images saved in Chat Logs: How do I make them save as .gif files and not .png? - by vaccination on 08-27-2008 at 08:34 AM
RE: Images saved in Chat Logs: How do I make them save as .gif files and not .png? - by Jesus on 08-27-2008 at 10:39 AM
RE: Images saved in Chat Logs: How do I make them save as .gif files and not .png? - by keenan777 on 08-27-2008 at 08:23 PM
RE: Images saved in Chat Logs: How do I make them save as .gif files and not .png? - by CookieRevised on 08-28-2008 at 05:22 AM

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: