What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » [Request]Chat invite blocker/notifier (might have been done)

[Request]Chat invite blocker/notifier (might have been done)
Author: Message:
Dex Luther

38 / Male / Flag
O.P. [Request]Chat invite blocker/notifier (might have been done)
A while ago I had seen a script that would notify you when someone tried to add you. You had the option to accept of decline the invite.

I recently had a wave of people constantly adding my to conversations like that (I think every one knows how annoying it is), which sparked me to look for the script. The only problem is, I can't seem to find it anymore.

If I haven't just over looked it and it's something that's possible to make, then I would like to entreat the construction of such a script (might even be a good option to add to a future version of plus).

3 whole internets to the good sir or madam who completes this request (if it hadn't already been done).
08-27-2008 03:37 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
roflmao456
Skinning Contest Winner

29 / Male / Flag
RE: [Request]Chat invite blocker/notifier (might have been done)
done.. but no GUI (using win32 msgbox) .. a quick 5 minute script :zippy:

Tested and works (Y)
code:
var max = 8; // Automatically block incoming multi-conversations if number of participants exceeds this number. 0 to disable.
var blockall = false; // Block all incoming multi-conversations.

function OnEvent_ChatWndCreated(ChatWnd){
    if(ChatWnd.Contacts.Count < 2) return;
    Debug.Trace("Multi-conversation detected.");
    if((ChatWnd.Contacts.Count > max && max > 1) || blockall){
        Interop.Call('User32', 'PostMessageW', ChatWnd.Handle, 0x0111,  20001, 0x0000);
        Debug.Trace("A multi-conversation was blocked. Reason: Exceeded variable max");
        } else {
        Debug.Trace("Building participant list...");
        var participants = "";
        for(var e = new Enumerator(ChatWnd.Contacts);!e.atEnd();e.moveNext()){
            participants += "- " + MsgPlus.RemoveFormatCodes(e.item().Name) + " (" + e.item().Email + ")\n";
            }
        if(Interop.Call('User32', 'MessageBoxW', ChatWnd.Handle, 'An incoming multi-conversation was detected.\nList of participants:\n' + participants + 'Would you like to participate?', 'Multi Convo Blocker', 68) == 7){
            }
        }
    }

just edit the top options ;)

This post was edited on 08-27-2008 at 04:27 AM by roflmao456.
[quote]
Ultimatess6
: What a noob mod
08-27-2008 04:27 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Dex Luther

38 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: [Request]Chat invite blocker/notifier (might have been done)
Block all means the people in the chat will be blocked?

I'll try it out. Thanks for the quick reply! :D 3 internets for you.
08-27-2008 04:50 AM
prashker
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=63701 is what you're referring too
08-27-2008 04:57 AM
Dex Luther

38 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: [Request]Chat invite blocker/notifier (might have been done)
quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=63701 is what you're referring too

Yeah I think that's the one... how come it's not in the directory on the site? *-)
08-27-2008 04:59 AM
prashker
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Dex Luther
quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam

Yeah I think that's the one... how come it's not in the directory on the site? *-)
I don't think the Script Database was up till a while after this was made :P
08-27-2008 05:15 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
PS: Note that such a script will actually _not_ prevent you from being added to a group conversation.

The thing this script does is as soon as you're added, it will present you with the choice to exit the group convo again or leave it. It can not and thus will not "decline" a group conversation as you're already in it.

So, although it might remove the annoyance of a new window opening, it will not remove the massive privacy issue involved in this.

The privacy issue at stake here is that whenever you are invited, and thus automatically added, to a group convo, everybody in the group convo can see your Windows Live Id. Even those who are not on your contact list and are complete strangers to you.

I would encourage everybody to report this massive privacy issue so that there is something done to it...

-------------

Fix for roflmao456's otherwise nice short script:
code:
var max = 8; // Automatically block incoming multi-conversations if number of participants exceeds this number. 0 to disable.
var blockall = false; // Block all incoming multi-conversations.

function OnEvent_ChatWndCreated(ChatWnd){
    if(ChatWnd.Contacts.Count < 2) return;
    Debug.Trace("Multi-conversation detected.");
    if((ChatWnd.Contacts.Count > max && max > 1) || blockall){
    if(ChatWnd.Contacts.Count > max && max > 0){
        Debug.Trace("A multi-conversation was blocked. Reason: Exceeded variable max");
        } else {
        Debug.Trace("Building participant list...");
        var participants = "";
        for(var e = new Enumerator(ChatWnd.Contacts);!e.atEnd();e.moveNext()){
            participants += "- " + MsgPlus.RemoveFormatCodes(e.item().Name) + " (" + e.item().Email + ")\n";
            }
        if(Interop.Call('User32', 'MessageBoxW', ChatWnd.Handle, 'An incoming multi-conversation was detected.\nList of participants:\n' + participants + 'Would you like to participate?', 'Multi Convo Blocker', 68) == 7){
            }
        }
    }
This does exactly the same thing. So, no need for the blockall option. If you want to leave all group chats automatically, just set max to 1.

('blockall' wasn't the best name for something like this though, since it doesn't block anything, it leaves the group chat, thus 'leaveall' or something?. see remark above.)

;)

This post was edited on 08-27-2008 at 08:58 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
08-27-2008 08:32 AM
Basilis
Veteran Member

Olympiacos CFP

30 / Male / Flag
Very useful script. :) Because when you are added into a conversation multiple times, you cannot be sure who added you and block him. But this script saves you from trying to find out who added you. Thanks for it!
[Image: logo1nu1.png]
08-27-2008 12:26 PM
Dex Luther

38 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: [Request]Chat invite blocker/notifier (might have been done)
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
PS: Note that such a script will actually _not_ prevent you from being added to a group conversation.

The thing this script does is as soon as you're added, it will present you with the choice to exit the group convo again or leave it. It can not and thus will not "decline" a group conversation as you're already in it.

So, although it might remove the annoyance of a new window opening, it will not remove the massive privacy issue involved in this.

The privacy issue at stake here is that whenever you are invited, and thus automatically added, to a group convo, everybody in the group convo can see your Windows Live Id. Even those who are not on your contact list and are complete strangers to you.

I would encourage everybody to report this massive privacy issue so that there is something done to it.

It's been an issue every since I can remember. Even before MSN 7.

I don't understand why something hasn't been done about it by MS. I'm sure they've known about this issue since MSN has had the option to create chats with multiple people.

I really don't get why they haven't added the feature so it prompts you BEFORE you're added and add an option to auto accept/decline the invites if you want.

It's been a problem for at least 7-ish years. It's about time they do something about it. I don't remember if Windows Messenger/the first MSN's had multichats or how they worked. From what I've seen though it's no better in WLM 9 either.

This post was edited on 08-28-2008 at 04:48 AM by Dex Luther.
08-28-2008 04:42 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
yep, you're absolutely correct, this issue has existed since the very first time the group chat feature was introduced. Dunno why this hasn't been fixed yet... I once got a reply saying 'protocol limit', but that was years ago (and I even didn't bought that excuse back then). The protocol has changed a lot since then, so...

who knows... all we can do is bombard MS with complaints about it.

This post was edited on 08-28-2008 at 05:00 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
08-28-2008 04:59 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: