What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » A Different Type of "Blockchecker"

A Different Type of "Blockchecker"
Author: Message:
Aardvark

Waterfall! :O

32 / Male / Flag
O.P. A Different Type of "Blockchecker"
Earlier today I suspected several people of blocking me, and to see if they actually had or not I signed out of my current email and signed in as appear offline on a different email to see if they were still online or not. Seeing that they actually had, I returned to my regular email. This is a perfectly valid technique, and doesn't require any trickery or whatnot like that. But I then thought, it would've been more useful if I could just sign into the other email and check without having to sign out of my current one. Yes - this can be done with polygamy, however I felt it would've been much faster to simply sign out and in again.

But what if some sort of "component" was added to MP!L which "signed into another WLM in the background", however to the end user they do not notice this effect. Then then the users contact list checks those who are online against those who aren't online and shows them with a different icon if they are online in the second contact list but not in the first. This would temporarily create some sort of polygamy function, however not making it so polygamy is actually on (and multiple sessions of WLM can be opened at will. Or maybe that's not possible and polygamy being on is polygamy being on - I don't know). This could be set up so the two emails always sign in to check the second contact list's contacts against the first.

In theory I would think this should work, however thinking about it more it could involve changing the entire way the second WLM would execute in the first place, not really making it plausible as a feature of MP!L. However I thought I'd just throw it out there regardless to see if it's a good idea or something similar at least.
09-07-2008 08:08 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Volv
Skinning Contest Winner

34 / Male / Flag
RE: A Different Type of "Blockchecker"
It will only work if you have the contact on both contact lists but it's a ridiculous idea anyway, if you're that desperate to see if someone has blocked you then do it yourself. Messenger Plus shouldn't be a children's toy imo (not that my opinion is of any importance).
09-07-2008 08:19 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Aardvark

32 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: A Different Type of "Blockchecker"
quote:
Originally posted by Volv
It will only work if you have the contact on both contact lists
Exactly.
quote:
if you're that desperate to see if someone has blocked you then do it yourself.
Maybe, but aren't computers designed to make our lives easier? This would make checking to see if you've been blocked easier.
quote:
Messenger Plus shouldn't be a children's toy imo
Why do we have emotion sounds and gradient fonts then. :P

This post was edited on 09-07-2008 at 08:24 AM by Aardvark.
09-07-2008 08:23 AM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
RE: A Different Type of "Blockchecker"
Your contact would have to accept 2 addresses, and what keeps them from blocking both anyway?
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
09-07-2008 10:14 AM
Aardvark

32 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: A Different Type of "Blockchecker"
Nothing. However most of my contacts don't bother thinking of blocking both (and why would they?), and so by signing into the second as offline, it stops them from becoming aware of the fact you just tried to check their status.
09-07-2008 10:17 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: