What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Help! White Stripes!

Help! White Stripes!
Author: Message:
ProblemWv Authority

34 / Male / Flag
O.P. Huh?  Help! White Stripes!
Hey! I'm having quite a few problems with my pc atm, its pretty old tbh, but still, I can't work out whats wrong with it! I think its a hardware fault but i duno how to repair it.

I have recently formatted it and restored it to factory shipped settings etc. and then gone onto update it etc. Its all up to date and has an up to date internet security program on it of which ive checked for viruses and everything has bn fine.

Basicly, it keeps spontaneously turning istelf of. I have worked out that this seems to only happen when im on the nternet and using internet explorer, so i then went on to instal mozilla firefox, and now instead of instantly restarting, the computer just totally crashes.

And to add to that, this mornin and it seems to have aquired some nice big permanent racing stripes!

They are big white vertical stripes that go across the screen and they appear as soon as the pc is turned on and go from top to bottom of the screen... and its pretty annoyting lol.

Anyone help??

I have an Advent 3418
Windows XP SP3
3.2 Ghz Pentium 4 Processor HT
nVidia GeForce FX5200 Graphixs card
512 ram

thanks... x
www.myspace.com/farewellcity
09-30-2008 02:33 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Spunky
Former Super Mod

35 / Male / Flag
RE: Help! White Stripes!
Sounds as if you were overheating which has caused the graphics card to be faulty... Just from an educated guess...
<Eljay> "Problems encountered: shit blew up" :zippy:
09-30-2008 03:54 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Vilkku
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
[Image: white_stripes.jpg]
White Stripes!

On a more serious note, I agree with Spunky that it sounds like it was an overheating issue at first (even if it sounds a bit strange that it only happened using IE, did games or something else work?). As the white stripes come on as soon as you boot (before the OS), it pretty much makes it a hardware problem. Also, you said that after installing Firefox the computer just crashed, any blue screens?
[Image: signature.php]
09-30-2008 07:27 PM
ProblemWv Authority

34 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Help! White Stripes!
Cheers, yea i did think about it being an overheating problem at first but the whole internet explorer thing seemed to rule that out for me, and yes i did play games and it wouldnt turn of when i was playing games, even for a long poeriod, but as soon as i go on the internet and after a random amount of clicks... bubi! lol

And yea now ive installed firefox and use that, instead of shutting down completly, it jst crashes.. well freezes. No blue screens or anything, the whole page just freezes as it is, any music playing stops and nothing works (keyboard, mouse etc)

So its puzzling me abit =S

And the white stripes are there as soon as i turn the pc on, so through bios screen, windows loading screen, everything, they are perminent.. there are five evenly spaced white bars across the screen..
www.myspace.com/farewellcity
10-01-2008 11:15 AM
Jarrod
Veteran Member

woot simpson

– / Male / Flag
basically your gpu is most likely f***ed
you might need a new graphics card,
i melted my gpu playing BF2:P

This post was edited on 10-01-2008 at 12:59 PM by Jarrod.

[Image: 5344.png]
[Image: sig.png]

A.k.a. The Glad Falconer

10-01-2008 12:55 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: