What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Wireless internet

Wireless internet
Author: Message:
vincerooney

O.P. Wireless internet

Greetings friends,

I've been pestered long enough by my sister to get wireless internet into our house. So sadly i will have to split my lovely internet connection with her...bad times. But having never even learnt about wireless technology before i'm a little baffled as to what to get.

Here's the facts.

I'm on virgin media cable broadband.

I have a sb5100 motorola modem which i discovered (you may remember my previous thread...) does actually have an ethernet connection. So i'm now connecting to the net using ethernet from modem into computer.

My sister has a laptop.

What do i need to get a wireless network up and running? I saw something today in the shops called netgear for cable internet. Is it as straight  forward as plugging modem into wireless router and putting two receivers into computer and laptop? Surely nothing is that straight forward...

So basically my questions

- How does wireless work
- what do i need to get a wireless network
- what is the best wireless router to buy?
- Why am i single

Mucho gracias and much love in advance

The RoonMeister- aka common technology peasant
09-30-2008 05:21 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
djdannyp
Elite Member

Danny <3 Sarah

37 / Male / Flag
RE: Wireless internet
Wireless internet works by transmitting the signal for internet wirelessly (in a similar way to how walkie talkies work, to put it in basic terms)

To get wireless internet you need a wireless router which plugs into your internet/phone socket to get the connection, it then distibutes that connection wirelessly

Most recent laptops (ones that are less than about 3/4 years old) will have a wireless receiver built into them so will be able to connect to it

Your PC may not have a wireless connection, but you can still use ethernet to connect to a wireless router in the same way you are doing now (and it is recommended that at least one computer is connected to the router by a wire)

Each router has different options, etc, but most provide wireless security (so that neighbours can't access your connection)

This is in the form of a password which you will enter when connecting to the wireless (it becomes clearer when you have the stuff and can try things out)

I hope this is enough to give you the very basics and to get you on your way.  If you have any more specific questions then I (or someone else) can help you with those too
[Image: 1ftt0hpk-signature.png]
AutoStatus Script || Facebook Status Script
5215 days, 33 minutes, 49 seconds ago
09-30-2008 05:45 PM
vaccination
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by vincerooney
Is it as straight  forward as plugging modem into wireless router and putting two receivers into computer and laptop? Surely nothing is that straight forward...

Pretty much, yeah.

The manual for your router will have all the information you need to set up the network on your computers.

I find my Netgear router to be very good, just don't install the software they bundle with it(at least they used to), it's easier to use Windows' tools to do the software side, everything plays nicer.
[Image: jumbled.png]
09-30-2008 06:07 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
Just a note: Wireless Internet and Wireless Network are two different things.

Real Wireless Internet would mean you don't even have a some type of cable coming into your hose for internet connection, so no ADSL or Cable, but maybe some kind of satellite service or city-wide wireless WAN or something.

What i think Vince is looking for (and the replies so far describe) is just a wireless local network. You will still have your normal wired internet connection, but connected to that you have an accesspoint from where your machines can connect wirelessly.  Or alternatively you could buy a wireless router, which is an accesspoint and modem/router in one. Since you already own a modem/router I'd go for just a simple accesspoint, which you can connect to the modem/router's ethernet port. Something like this should do just fine: http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Prod...&lid=5260733028B07 (but make sure to doublecheck before you buy, I don't haven't checked your current modem's specs)
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
09-30-2008 06:32 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
davidpolitis

RE: RE: Wireless internet
quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
Something like this should do just fine: http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Prod...&lid=5260733028B07
Very simular to the router I use. I'd go with Linksys or Netgear. I've had drop out/connection issues before with a D-Link router when my PC was only roughly 4 metres away from it.

This post was edited on 10-01-2008 at 08:39 PM by davidpolitis.
10-01-2008 08:38 PM
Divine Dragon

Choice.

33 / Male / Flag
Your questions:

How does wireless work?
Wireless internet is actually quite simple to understand. Large transmitting towers send out wireless data signals, similar to the way in which a mobile phone network works, these signals are picked up by the receiving device in your computer, and are interpreted as the internet.

What do i need to get a wireless network?
If your planning on getting a complete wireless internet connection, you wont need anything but the receiving devices in your PC and/or laptop. But from what I've gathered, you want a wireless network, which is local to you only. You will need a modem and a router with wireless functionality. You can get a wireless modem/router but I consider the 2 put together to be more hassle than buying them separately, also you already have a modem so thats all fine and well.

Check to make sure that the laptop you plan to connect has a built in wireless adapter. It will make things a lot easier (and cheaper) than buying and installing a separate one. All you need then is a wireless adapter for your PC. Ask any PC hardware sales person for help with buying them, you wont need one thats too expensive and fancy, just get one that works (Same goes for your laptop).

What is the best wireless router to buy?
I may not be the best person to answer that question, as I have not done any real research into wireless routers, but from what I've read recently the Linksys WRT54GL Wireless-G router seems to be a solid choice, it's price is around an acceptable $70 as well. Feel free to correct me on this people.

Why am i single?
Again, not easy to answer. I've looked at your profile and there's not much to go on. If your avatar is a picture of yourself (which I suspect) then you shouldn't worry too much, and I'm sure you'll meet someone sooner or later.

Hope this helps, If you have any more specific questions about the topic, feel free to contact me.:)

This post was edited on 10-01-2008 at 09:45 PM by Divine Dragon.
10-01-2008 09:34 PM
davidpolitis

RE: RE: Wireless internet
quote:
Originally posted by Divine Dragon
From what I've read recently the Linksys WRT54GL Wireless-G router seems to be a solid choice, it's price is around an acceptable $70 as well.
My models very similar, it's a WRT5GL. I've had it for about 6 months. No problems so far. Its definitely better than my old D-Link router and has better range. I bought it for something around $80 (AU). I'd definitely recommend it. A lot of people also recommend  Netgear routers. I personally don't have any experience with them though. :P
quote:
Originally posted by Divine Dragon
If your avatar is a picture of yourself (which I suspect) then you shouldn't worry too much, and I'm sure you'll meet someone sooner or later.
:O In that case you're a dragon.

This post was edited on 10-01-2008 at 11:08 PM by davidpolitis.
10-01-2008 11:06 PM
Divine Dragon

Choice.

33 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: RE: Wireless internet
quote:
Originally posted by davidpolitis
:O In that case you're a dragon.

And your a spunky looking anime character!:D

This post was edited on 10-02-2008 at 04:20 AM by Divine Dragon.
10-01-2008 11:50 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: