What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Some missing features?

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Some missing features?
Author: Message:
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
RE: Some missing features?
quote:
Originally posted by Malekith
conversations ALWAYS go through MS's servers
Hmm, okay, somebody told me different. Haven't looked at it myself for a long time.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
10-02-2008 05:56 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
pollolibredegrasa

formerly fatfreechicken

35 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Some missing features?
Encryption has been discussed a few times but it seems very unlikely that it will be added to Plus. This thread maybe of some interest, particularly the posts by CookieRevised.

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
quote:
conversations ALWAYS go through MS's servers
Hmm, okay, somebody told me different. Haven't looked at it myself for a long time.
There is an option under Security in WLM's options that says something along the lines of "Allow me to connect directly to contacts when sending messages" - could this be what they were referring to?
;p

[Image: chickennana.gif] Vaccy is my thin twin! [Image: chickennana.gif]
10-02-2008 06:12 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Spunky
Former Super Mod

35 / Male / Flag
RE: Some missing features?
quote:

Lol, thats ridiculous and makes no sense. Is MS everyone ISP now? And i'm also pretty sure this doesnt use any external servers, its just client to client.

I don't see how it's ridiculous... Anything sent from the client to the servers has a set structure. If it is not a message the server understands you are disconnected instantly (usually without an error message). Even with direct connections, how can you be sure that the other person has MP!L? You couldn't even be certain the were using WLM at all, it could be a web messenger, or multi-protocol client for example.

I've done a lot of reading of protocol messages and have made a bot that connects. If something isn't right when you send it, you get logged off. Simple.

You also have to consider the length of the messages that encryption would cause. A good encryption could increase the length of the message quite a bit, causing it to be truncated when it reaches the servers, meaning it can not be decrypted at the other end properly.

Please do not tell me that it's ridiculous just because it is past your understanding. I don't understand what light is made up of, but I know it exists ^o)

@Menthix: I haven't ever seen any evidence to say messages can be sent via a direct connection, however they may be CAPABLE of it.

@Pollolibredegrasa: I think that may just disable all the p2p fucntions such as the sending of DPs and backgrounds (maybe file transfer)... Without looking too much into, I wouldn't be able to say for definate.

Now, I'm not trying to come across as a know-it-all and by no means have a full understanding of the protocol (only WLM employees do). This is all just what I've come to understand from working with the protocol myself

<Eljay> "Problems encountered: shit blew up" :zippy:
10-02-2008 07:18 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: