What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Half of the msg contacts are gone in WLM 9.0 beta

Half of the msg contacts are gone in WLM 9.0 beta
Author: Message:
Henksbike

O.P. Half of the msg contacts are gone in WLM 9.0 beta
Hi,

I installed Windows Live Messenger 9.0 beta today, after having used 8.5 in the past. It's a beta, I know, but this seems like a serious bug for beta:

Normally I have about 1100 contacts in my msg list, but as soon as I started using 9.0 the total amount of contacts have dropped to 640. The rest seems to be vanished miraculously.

Just for playing safe, I made a back-up of my contacts from 8.5, before installing 9.0. But wen I wanted to import this back-up in 9.0, I got the following message:

quote:
There are no new contacts in this file.

Microsoft provides a possible solution for this problem on their troubleshooting webpage. Unfortunately it doesn't solve my problem even though I did exactly what was explained :S.

What am I to do? For the record, I'm using:

Windows Live Messenger Beta
Version 2009 (Build 14.0.5027.908)
On Vista

Could someone explain to me what is going on and how I'm able to retrieve my contacts in WLM 9.0? I'm lost...

Thanks in advance for your help
10-13-2008 03:08 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
ChicaRacing

Code Gass Fan

40 / Female / Flag
RE: Half of the msg contacts are gone in WLM 9.0 beta
It may be that they previously deleted you or you have them only as hotmail contacts and not as msn contacts, first at all take a look on hotmail's contact list and check them all to verify they are msn contacts, if so...

I think you can take a look here: "Contact list rebuilder"

I'm not quiet sure if will work for you, once it worked for me, you need to know it will login your account so, i highly recommend you login in mns any other account that you have added to your main account before run this website, that way you can see if anything weird happens, and after you run it change inmediatly your password on hotmail's website :P

Wish you good luck!
10-13-2008 08:30 PM
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
RE: Half of the msg contacts are gone in WLM 9.0 beta
This might be because non-instant messaging contacts are no longer displayed in Messenger. They will still be in Contacts in Windows Live Hotmail.
[Image: 25dr3o9]
10-13-2008 09:34 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Henksbike

O.P. RE: Half of the msg contacts are gone in WLM 9.0 beta
Yeah well,

Today I deleted all of the Windows Live beta stuff including Windows Live Messenger 9.0. It just doesn't work!

When I installed 8.5 again all my contact were back, so I just stick to that for a while...

Thanks for your replies anyway. But when someone finds a good solution for this problem, please post it!
10-14-2008 09:44 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: