What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » [Request] Add Nickname fix

[Request] Add Nickname fix
Author: Message:
Rainierman

O.P. [Request] Add Nickname fix
Hi, I registered because I've always wanted to add alternate nicknames to my contacts because I like having my list tidy, which I think you should understand, can't be the only one with friends that add a lot of gibberish to their nicknames, right? Thing that is also a log killer.

The thing is that when I do this, it completely hides the actual nickname, even from the toasts, which is not convenient because people sometimes add worthy information to their nicknames. So I thought that when in your list, just like with the default it shows a contact in the format of [Nickname] - [Personal Message], I wondered if it could be changed to [Personal Nickname] - [NN] - [PM], this way achieving both having your contacts ordered the way you want, and not missing out their nicknames of choice.

Same with the chat windows, instead of [NN] line [PM], it could be [PN] - [NN] line [PM]. To have the info even more accessible. Exactly the the same would work well with the toasts too, instead of just [NN], [PN] line [NN].

Now, more than wishing that somebody would do this for me, I want to know if this possible. I don't want to study and learn all what MPLScripting.chm says just to find out at the end that I can't do the only thing I wanted to code. I wouldn't complain if someone did it for me though, in fact I would be very grateful.

Some tidbit I can give though is that when you type (!N) and send it to a contact, it returns it's ACTUAL nickname and not the one you set up on said person. Maybe this could be relevant?

So with all that said... Can it be done? Thanks in advance for whatever help you give me. I will be eagerly waiting.
10-15-2008 01:04 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Matti
Elite Member

Script Developer and Helper

31 / Male / Flag
RE: [Request] Add Nickname fix
If I understand you correctly, you'd want to give a contact a custom nickname but preserve their original name by appending it, example:
quote:
Real nickname: <([John])> (H)
Custom nickname: John
What you want to see: John - <([John])> (H)
Unfortunately, this isn't currently possible. This was a feature back in Messenger Plus! Live 3, but then Messenger didn't have its own custom nickname feature yet like it has now. Patchou told us several times that he may re-add Plus!' own custom nickname feature when the nicknaming feature of Messenger itself isn't being extended. Until today, this hasn't happened yet, i.e. there's no way to preserve the original nickname using Messenger's own nicknaming feature, but there has been no response from Patchou whether he's going to re-add Plus!' nicknaming feature either...

As for scripts: no, not possible with the Plus! Live scripting environment. This is something which should be done by Messenger (or Plus! Live), not by a script.

About the remark of (!N): it may sound related, but it's not possible to use (!N) in a custom nickname and have it replaced by the real nickname. So that's a dead end there.
Plus! Script Developer | Plus! Beta Tester | Creator of Countdown Live | Co-developer of Screenshot Sender 5

Found my post useful? Rate me!
10-15-2008 11:17 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Rainierman

O.P. RE: [Request] Add Nickname fix
Yes, you got the point completely, congratulations. Thanks a lot for saving me a from lot of time of profitless work and study.

Now if someone needs me I will be weeping at that shady corner over there, lol.

I found a worse is nothing workaround though. I could enable Messenger Plus sign in toasts, which shows the original nickname, while disabling the Live ones. However, this way I can't see the contact's DP when they sign in, the "online.wma" sound plays before the actual message, and/so the Plus toast is ugly overall in comparison to the Live one. So yeah, really sucky. I don't think I will do this in the end.

Thanks a LOT again though. I'm very grateful for the serious answer, I won't have my hopes up for something that's not happening now. Thanks thanks.

This post was edited on 10-15-2008 at 08:15 PM by Rainierman.
10-15-2008 08:09 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: