What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Skinning » Need help in contact list background

Need help in contact list background
Author: Message:
jparadize

O.P. Need help in contact list background
hi there,
tried changing the background for the contact list but doesn't seem to work.....

read the documentation and got this, the test skin ->
<SkinInfo>
    <Information>
        <Name>Test Skin</Name>
    </Information>

<MessengerSkin>
        <ResGroup>
            <Restrictions>
                <MsgVersions>
                    <Version Major="8" Minor="5"/>
                </MsgVersions>
            </Restrictions>

<Resources>
                <Replace>
                    <Strings>
                        <String Id="61288">Hello World!</String>
                    </Strings>

<Graphics><Pictures>
                        <Picture Id="20061">
                            <File>clouds.jpg</File>
                        </Picture>
                    </Pictures></Graphics>
                </Replace>
            </Resources>

</ResGroup>
    </MessengerSkin>
</SkinInfo>

then i actually read http://www.msgpluslive.dk/skins/resources/tut-Cha...t-list-background/ too~

1. but i don'e understand this part whr they say "So copy the 1001-definition into your skins folder (msgres_4004_1001.txt) from your extraction folder.
" .... isn't the text in 101 definition the same as the text in msgres_4004_1001? so what does it mean by copy it?

2. i also dun understand this part "59000 is our ID for the background image we're going to add as a resource (remember this has to be over 59000). " so is 59000 the code i use for bg or do i have to rename it w a higher number?

3. last last.....
You will also need to replace 1001-definition with your 1001 file. Example:

<Replace>
  <Windows>
    <Definitions>
      <Definition Id="10001">
        <File>1001.txt</file>
      </Definition>
    </Definitions>
  </Windows>
</Replace>

wat do u mean by replace 1001definition with 1001 file? means i rename it?
and the definition ID highlighted in red, do i change it to the pic ID or leave it alone?

SUPER THANKS IN ADVANCE!
10-19-2008 02:54 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Basilis
Veteran Member

Olympiacos CFP

30 / Male / Flag
RE: Need help in contact list background
1) He means you need to copy the entire file (msgres_4004_1001.txt) as it is into your skin's folder
2) The reason you need to use 59000 or higher is because the other IDs are not available. You can use whatever ID you like but it must be above 59000. Don't forget to add it as a new image into your SkinInfo and copy the image into your skin's folder.
3) If you don't replace the file into your SkinInfo, Messenger will load its default file. Replacing it will force Messenger to load your file. The name you will specify on the SkinInfo must be the same as the file's name. In our case, it must be msgres_4004_1001.txt

Also, read the Skinning Documentation again carefully. It explains pretty much everything you need to know. This page has very useful stuff also :)
[Image: logo1nu1.png]
10-19-2008 09:40 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
djdannyp
Elite Member

Danny <3 Sarah

37 / Male / Flag
RE: Need help in contact list background
The file msgres_4004_1001.txt is the UIFile (user interface file) which builds the graphics included in the contact list.

You must copy this file into your skin's folder and then edit it to include a new element whereby you reference the picture id 59000.

This numbering system is the way to include new pictures in messenger (rather than replacing existing ones).

You have to include a new picture in your skins folder and then set it to picture id 59000 in your SkinInfo (as shown in the documentation)

The definition file must then be replaced in the SkinInfo (so that the new, edited one is used and not the original) using the code you have already displayed.

If you need more help then try looking at a skin which does replace the contact list background (such as my skin, linked in my signature) and look at the relevant sections of SkinInfo and the definition file to try to work it out
[Image: 1ftt0hpk-signature.png]
AutoStatus Script || Facebook Status Script
5229 days, 18 hours, 12 minutes, 24 seconds ago
10-19-2008 09:43 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: