What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Using this on a laptop? How does it work?

Using this on a laptop? How does it work?
Author: Message:
Jodie1

O.P. Using this on a laptop? How does it work?
I want to buy a laptop but if I get one I will need to get the internet for it too. I have just fount this at Argos http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/catalogId/1...Number/5080582.htm. How does that work? it says you have to top up. Say if you dont top up for ages will it cut you off or something? I do have a computer with Virgin Media broadband me and my brother use the same modem. I will still use this computer as well as the laptop so I wouldnt mind using this thing just for the laptop. Is it worth getting and is it reliable?
10-20-2008 12:40 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Thor
Veteran Member

Awwwwwwww.

31 / – / Flag
RE: Using this on a laptop? How does it work?
quote:
Originally posted by Jodie1
I want to buy a laptop but if I get one I will need to get the internet for it too. I have just fount this at Argos http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/catalogId/1...Number/5080582.htm. How does that work? it says you have to top up. Say if you dont top up for ages will it cut you off or something? I do have a computer with Virgin Media broadband me and my brother use the same modem. I will still use this computer as well as the laptop so I wouldnt mind using this thing just for the laptop. Is it worth getting and is it reliable?
Personally I had a USB stick for wireless networks for about 3 months.

Never again. Ever.

(Although that might've been just that specific stick, but no thanks.)
:plus4: Translation guidelines for Messenger Plus! Live
I'm no longer around this town, but I miss the community dearly. You can always find me lurking in #banana, or at
nitrolinken.net.
10-20-2008 02:04 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Kenji
Veteran Member

Previously: Dazmatic, Dazzy, :zippy:

32 / Male / Flag
You dont want that, what you need is a wireless router.
10-20-2008 02:53 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/catalogId/1500001151/partNumber/5080582.htm
That is for internet on your laptop when you're travveling. You will need a paid contract to use it (it's basically the same as internet on your mobile phone).

If you just need internet when you're at home or at work/school where a wireless (WiFI) accesspoint is provided you wont need this usb adaptor.

If your current router at home (assuming you already have a normal pc connected to the internet) doesn't have wireless functionality yet all you need is a wireless router or a simple accespoint.

So:
- If you already have some kind of wireless accespoint device at home you can connect to that with your laptop and you wont have to buy anything.
- If you already have a router at home, but it doesn't have a wireless (accesspoint) function you'll just need to buy an accesspoint which you can connect to the router
- If you don't have any router yet but just a modem where you can only connect a single PC to, get a router with wireless functionality (accesspoint) build in.
- If you want to be able to use internet everywhere (while traveling and not in reach of a public accesspoint) you will indeed need something like you linked to in your post. But keep in mind internet over mobile connections is still relatively slow and expensive.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
10-20-2008 03:14 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Dex Luther

38 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Using this on a laptop? How does it work?
quote:
Originally posted by Nitro
quote:
Personally I had a USB stick for wireless networks for about 3 months.

Never again. Ever.

(Although that might've been just that specific stick, but no thanks.)

I'm using a D-Link wireless stick to leech the internet off my neighbor (it's a temporary thing), and it works great.

The only problem I have is when downloading too many thing via torrents I get cut off. Then again, I have a feeling that could be the ISP's doing.
10-20-2008 05:31 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: