What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Bug Reports » Event Logging in Beta

Event Logging in Beta
Author: Message:
TrevF

O.P. Event Logging in Beta
Hi all,

I have turned off the Record Events to Disk option, but the Event Viewer is still logging events.  I guess the check box is not working.

Hope this helps you fix the problems.

Trev
11-02-2008 05:22 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Mnjul
forum super mod

plz wub me

– / Other / Flag
RE: Event Logging in Beta
The Event Viewer will always show the events but just don't write the events to the disk if you have the option off. Is that what you want to be clarified? :)
11-02-2008 05:27 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
TrevF

O.P. RE: RE: Event Logging in Beta
quote:
Originally posted by Mnjul
The Event Viewer will always show the events but just don't write the events to the disk if you have the option off. Is that what you want to be clarified? :)
Kind of.
My wife doesn't close her PC, just uses hibernate, so Messenger is not actually closed, this means that the Event Log shows everything from when Messenger was initially started.  If Messenger is exited then the log is cleared.  This makes me think that either the Event Log is written to a temporary log file or it is stored in memory either way is not ideal.  My wife uses the Countdown Script which changes her status every minute, each one of these changes is logged to the event log.  This means that very minute a change is either written to disk (to the temp file) or to memory.

If it goes to a temp file,  then this will eventually result in such a large file that performance will be lost every time it is opened, updated and saved.

If it is to memory then this is going to result in Messenger using an ever increasing ammount of memory, eventually leading to performance issues and other programs not working.

I believe that there should be an option to either not log certain events at all, or to completely disable event logging to prevent the above types of problems.

Thanks

Trev
11-03-2008 09:29 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
markee
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
I personally only hibernate my laptop and have never experienced any problems (the same goes for many members of these forums).

The log is stored in memory and the size is quite insignificant compared to messenger itself (try writing a text document and see how long it takes to get to 50MB, about how much memory WLM and MP!L use when signed in).

If you have a problem with performance, then you can always open the event viewer and go Options > Clear List.
[Image: markee.png]
11-03-2008 12:00 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Mnjul
forum super mod

plz wub me

– / Other / Flag
And also the event log viewer maintains only a specified maximum of entries (you can set it in Preferences). So don't worry about them :p
11-03-2008 02:33 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: