What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Bug Reports » Messenger Plus should support "/me"

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Messenger Plus should support "/me"
Author: Message:
cubefox

O.P. Messenger Plus should support "/me"
If you type in messenger plus "/me pokes you", msg plus sends "ĢI pokes you" instead. You can observe this behaviour when you chat with a person who has no messenger plus, e.g. the normal live messenger or an other messengers: They only see "ĢI pokes you".

The point is, that many messengers like trillian, pidgin and others can handle /me (so "/me pokes you" gets displayed as "username pokes you"), but msg plus don't sends "/me" but "ĢI".

So if for example, a trillian contact sends you "/me pokes you"; you (with msg plus) don't see "username pokes you". You see only "/me pokes you".
And if you (with msg plus) say to a trillian/pidgin/kopete/... contact "/me pokes you", msg plus sends "ĢI pokes you" and the contact can only see this "ĢI pokes you".

Therefore, messenger plus should send and accept "/me" instead of "ĢI", because it's much more compatible to other programs.
11-06-2008 12:19 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
markee
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
RE: Messenger Plus should support "/me"
Messenger Plus was using this feature before either of those programs became popular.  For backwards compatibility purposes, Messenger Plus! should not change, however it might be nice to parse "/me" as well as "ĢI"

I don't think it should be changes to send "/me" as this means that it is not compatible with a lot of machines running MP! 3.x and people who won't upgrade MP!L.
[Image: markee.png]
11-06-2008 12:48 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
cubefox

O.P. RE: RE: Messenger Plus should support "/me"
quote:
Originally posted by markee
Messenger Plus was using this feature before either of those programs became popular.
no, mirc and (and other chat programs) had this feature before messenger plus was released. I think, trillian had this feature earlier, too. In fact, much more programs use "/me" than "ĢI" (only messenger plus).

quote:
Originally posted by markee
I don't think it should be changes to send "/me" as this means that it is not compatible with a lot of machines running MP! 3.x and people who won't upgrade MP!L.
I think there are more users using trillian/miranda/pidgin/kopete... than MP 3.x users.
11-06-2008 06:34 PM
markee
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
Looking through the history, this feature has been around since MP! 1.40 way back in October 2001.

Trillian had added the feature before April of 2001, so yes they were first, I will admit that, but neither should change a method of doing it after such a length of time.

I concede that MP! would have less users, however 50million is quite significant!

I really believe that MP!L should interpret "/me" as it does its own commands, but I don't think it should send it out differently to what it has previously for compatibility purposes.
11-07-2008 11:45 AM
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by cubefox
mirc

aside from mirc not being an instant messaging program, it does /me completely differently anyway :p
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
11-07-2008 01:02 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Matti
Elite Member

Script Developer and Helper

31 / Male / Flag
Also, if Plus! should parse "/me" in received messages, that somewhat ignores the command escaping feature.

Imagine this scenario:
  1. The contact sends a message:
    code:
    //me is a cool command
  2. The user receives the message:
    code:
    /me is a cool command
  3. In the case the Plus! should replace that incoming message with "* User is a cool command", it basically destroys the idea of the contact about sending escaped commands.
I don't think it's such a great idea... :S
Plus! Script Developer | Plus! Beta Tester | Creator of Countdown Live | Co-developer of Screenshot Sender 5

Found my post useful? Rate me!
11-07-2008 05:00 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
cubefox

O.P. RE: Messenger Plus should support "/me"
I didn't hear about the "command escaping feature". Is it really more important than /me? I guess /me is much more often used.
11-09-2008 05:40 PM
Vilkku
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Messenger Plus should support "/me"
quote:
I didn't hear about the "command escaping feature". Is it really more important than /me? I guess /me is much more often used.
I never use /me but use // all the time, as you can start messages with a / without Plus! complaining.
[Image: signature.php]
11-09-2008 06:08 PM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Sending action messages as "/me" wouldn't even be possible without the "command escaping feature". As Vilkku said, without it you wouldn't be able to send any text starting with / (slash).
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
11-09-2008 06:14 PM
markee
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
Here is some script code that you can use to reproduce this feature how you want it to.  Please note that all of your MP!L contacts will now see "/me" when you send one of these messages though.

code:
function OnEvent_ChatWndSendMessage(ChatWnd, Message){
    return Message.replace(/^\/(\/me\s)/i,"$1");
}
function OnEvent_ChatWndReceiveMessage(ChatWnd, Origin, Message, MsgKind){
    return Message.replace(/^\/me(\s)/i,"ĢI$1");
}

Also note, I did not test this, but it should be fine.
11-10-2008 02:17 AM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: