What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » MSN taking over soundcard

MSN taking over soundcard
Author: Message:
neilogden

O.P. MSN taking over soundcard
For MSN, read Windows Live Messenger!

I have had this problem from time to time in the past, but it has returned on both my pcs.  There is an ad on MSN today that seems to take over my sound card.  With MSN open, I cannot play back WMP or any sound player (I do a lot of audio editing), and all my MSN sounds don't play either.  The error is that my sound card is in use and as soon as I sign out of MSN, I can play back again.

This has happened on both my PCs so it's obviously not unique to one pc, but two others have not got this problem.  HAs anyone else got this/got a solution/know how to prevent it happening.  I huess I could just wait until the ad changes, but it's just so annoying.

Any info would be most useful.

Neil

12-28-2008 09:55 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
RE: MSN taking over soundcard
Hi,

What version of WLM are you using?

As far as I know, adverts only have sound when you hover your mouse over some of them, then they expand and you can click the 'enable sound' icon?

~Chris

Edit: Are you talking about the advert at the bottom of the main contacts window? It is possible to remove it, if you wanted to.

This post was edited on 12-28-2008 at 10:26 PM by Chris4.
Twitter: @ChrisLozeau
12-28-2008 10:24 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
neilogden

O.P. RE: MSN taking over soundcard
It's 8.5.1302.1018 - I have had this problem before but exiting and then opening again always solved it.  This time, only signing out solves it.  It's only been happening since the appearance of this one particular advert though (the "rollover" one), it was fine before that.

How do I get rid of the advert?

Thanks for your help.

Neil

(yes it is the ad at the bottom of the contacts window)

This post was edited on 12-29-2008 at 09:23 AM by neilogden.
12-29-2008 09:22 AM
neilogden

O.P. RE: MSN taking over soundcard
I did a google search for removing the ad and did so and it worked!  Problem solved.  About 30 seconds after I'd done it, the ad on my other pc had changed to something different that didn't take over the sound card!  I guess the ads change every 24 hours.

Oh well, thanks for pointing me in the right direction anyway.  I used http://www.lancelhoff.com/2007/05/25/remove-adver...ws-live-messenger/
12-29-2008 01:13 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: