What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » What defines the emoticon directory?

What defines the emoticon directory?
Author: Message:
Davethewave

O.P. What defines the emoticon directory?
OK! So I need to know where Messenger defines the directory for emoticons as I would like to move them to another location. I understand they are located in C:\Documents and Settings\your PC username\local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Messenger\your messenger username\ObjectStore\CustomEmoticons. I require the file in which defines this as the emoticon directory so that I may change my emoticon directory. Please notify me on how I can do this. Thank you.
01-06-2009 01:46 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
ryxdp

29 / Male / Flag
RE: What defines the emoticon directory?
I think that the directories for both XP and Vista are actually inside the WLM executable itself, so you can't do anything about it, sorry :/

You could perhaps create a shortcut to it somewhere else, so you can access it from your desktop etc. but that's pretty much all you can do.
01-06-2009 11:58 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Davethewave

O.P. RE: What defines the emoticon directory?
well there is something, weather it be a registry entry or a configuration file, or even code within the executable, which says to look there for the emotes. All data is alterable if it can be found :) with hex editors and the like if needed. I was just wondering where it would be, I shall check the executable. Thanks!
01-07-2009 01:19 AM
Baggins

B000ALFAZO

29 / Male / Flag
RE: What defines the emoticon directory?
ryxdp: I think he means the custom emoticons. No doubt the built-in ones are inside the executable.

and yes, there should be a way to change the directory.

doesn't look like there is anything in the registry

This post was edited on 01-07-2009 at 02:32 AM by Baggins.
01-07-2009 02:27 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
ryxdp

29 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: What defines the emoticon directory?
quote:
Originally posted by Baggins
ryxdp: I think he means the custom emoticons. No doubt the built-in ones are inside the executable.

and yes, there should be a way to change the directory.

doesn't look like there is anything in the registry

The ObjectStore directory is most likely either in the registry as a REG_BINARY value (I did a quick search for "ObjectStore" to see if it was just a REG_SZ), or inside the executable (i did another search in most of the files in Program Files using XVI32, but I couldn't find anything). The default emoticons are stored in msgsres.dll as a single image, not msnmsgr.
01-07-2009 03:11 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Davethewave

O.P. RE: What defines the emoticon directory?
Yeah I would like only to change my custom emoticon directory, I tried hex editors and memory editors on the exe but it seems futile in my hands. Thanks for all the support!
01-07-2009 10:32 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: