What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Get back the statuses which were removed from WLM 2009!

Pages: (5): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 5 » Last »
Get back the statuses which were removed from WLM 2009!
Author: Message:
blessedguy
Skinning Contest Winner

31 / Male / Flag
RE: Get back the statuses which were removed from WLM 2009!
quote:
Originally posted by dazjorz
Just because most people don't use these as seperate statuses, it's not directly a stupid suggestion, not for me!
Ok, stop that please!
Those status will NOT come back, they are/were useless.
There are basically only 4 status you can be:
Available, you can talk, you aren't doing anything important.
Busy, you can talk, but you don't WANT to be annoyed.
Away, you can't talk (you're away...), also means "I may not answear".
Unavalable, you can't talk, or don't want other people to see you.

Be right back and out to lunch are the same as away, both mean "you can't talk and/or may not answear", so why to have them? Oh! Because someone wants to have them back! =O

Don't know if you got it, but Windows Live is trying to get simpler. So you should know your contact's status just by looking to their DP frames or icon. No out to lunch, no brb.
If you REALLY want, you are dieying for it, go ahead, die. Or use the handy PSM.

This post was edited on 02-01-2009 at 12:09 AM by blessedguy.
[Image: Empty.png]
02-01-2009 12:08 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
riahc4
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by blessedguy
quote:
Originally posted by dazjorz
Just because most people don't use these as seperate statuses, it's not directly a stupid suggestion, not for me!
Ok, stop that please!
Those status will NOT come back, they are/were useless.
There are basically only 4 status you can be:
Available, you can talk, you aren't doing anything important.
Busy, you can talk, but you don't WANT to be annoyed.
Away, you can't talk (you're away...), also means "I may not answear".
Unavalable, you can't talk, or don't want other people to see you.

Be right back and out to lunch are the same as away, both mean "you can't talk and/or may not answear", so why to have them? Oh! Because someone wants to have them back! =O

Don't know if you got it, but Windows Live is trying to get simpler. So you should know your contact's status just by looking to their DP frames or icon. No out to lunch, no brb.
If you REALLY want, you are dieying for it, go ahead, die. Or use the handy PSM.

QFT.
02-01-2009 12:24 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
MrTaco

dazjorz, I agree with you. Don't know why these guys feel like they have to be arseholes about disagreeing, but I guess that's just how people are.

To me and plenty of my friends, they aren't all the same. Away means they're still signed in, but not around. Might not even be in the house. Could be gone for hours. Brb, they're still around. Might be going to the toilet, off to check something elsewhere in the house. Even doing something else, could have intermittent returns to the computer. Implies a possibly short response time to any of your messages, possibly longer but you most likely will get one in the time you're still at your computer. I guess Out to Lunch is similar enough to BRB to disappear. Also implies a relatively short absence, as one usually has while eating. On the phone, again that's different. That means you've got someone pulling you away from the computer to talk to you, and you generally won't be able to say anything til you get back from it.

The fact of the matter is, some people use the status to let people know what they're doing, others keep it constantly on away to try and get people not to bug them, and others ignore it completely. Having them still there doesn't disadvantage those who don't use them, but taking them does disadvantage those who do. And why punish some when it makes no difference to the rest?

But then, what would I know. I'm still using 7.0 :P
02-14-2009 07:10 AM
James Potter

64 / Male / Flag
Erm.
To my information, Plus! sends the protocol command for the "/brb", "/lunch", and "/onphone" in the format of the earlier (WLM8.5 protocol), thus older versions of Messenger could display them appropriately. However, WLM14 converts them automatically to it's own protocol status-detection. Therefore, "Be Right Back" is displayed as away, and so are the other statuses.
Now, here is where Plus! fits in. Because Microsoft removed those statuses, Messenger Plus! Live comes in handy. It can display "Personalised Statuses." With personalised statuses, not only you can display your well favoured "BRB" status, but also an "AutoMessage" to it, so to tell people that they could leave a message and you would definetely get back to them at a later time.
The Messenger team are ignorant enough to not listen to what the "minority" (in this case 17 users) want, but look forward to what the virtual world needs as a whole. Thus, creating a perfect application that is used by millions of people. Use Plus!, it is an amazing application that can do the job.

[Image: 29dtmhs.png]
02-14-2009 08:42 AM
dazjorz

O.P. RE: Get back the statuses which were removed from WLM 2009!
quote:
Originally posted by MrTaco
dazjorz, I agree with you. Don't know why these guys feel like they have to be arseholes about disagreeing, but I guess that's just how people are.

To me and plenty of my friends, they aren't all the same. Away means they're still signed in, but not around. Might not even be in the house. Could be gone for hours. Brb, they're still around. Might be going to the toilet, off to check something elsewhere in the house. Even doing something else, could have intermittent returns to the computer. Implies a possibly short response time to any of your messages, possibly longer but you most likely will get one in the time you're still at your computer. I guess Out to Lunch is similar enough to BRB to disappear. Also implies a relatively short absence, as one usually has while eating. On the phone, again that's different. That means you've got someone pulling you away from the computer to talk to you, and you generally won't be able to say anything til you get back from it.

The fact of the matter is, some people use the status to let people know what they're doing, others keep it constantly on away to try and get people not to bug them, and others ignore it completely. Having them still there doesn't disadvantage those who don't use them, but taking them does disadvantage those who do. And why punish some when it makes no difference to the rest?

But then, what would I know. I'm still using 7.0 :P

I am so happy to find someone who agrees completely - what you are saying is exactly what I meant!

quote:
Originally posted by Acc2pmWDZ
Erm.
To my information, Plus! sends the protocol command for the "/brb", "/lunch", and "/onphone" in the format of the earlier (WLM8.5 protocol), thus older versions of Messenger could display them appropriately. However, WLM14 converts them automatically to it's own protocol status-detection. Therefore, "Be Right Back" is displayed as away, and so are the other statuses.
Now, here is where Plus! fits in. Because Microsoft removed those statuses, Messenger Plus! Live comes in handy. It can display "Personalised Statuses." With personalised statuses, not only you can display your well favoured "BRB" status, but also an "AutoMessage" to it, so to tell people that they could leave a message and you would definetely get back to them at a later time.
The Messenger team are ignorant enough to not listen to what the "minority" (in this case 17 users) want, but look forward to what the virtual world needs as a whole. Thus, creating a perfect application that is used by millions of people. Use Plus!, it is an amazing application that can do the job.

Maybe someone (me? I'm a programmer, just never looked into Plus! plugins before) should write a plugin to have WLM2009 display brb etc as "normal" statuses too. I don't know if that's really possible... Anyway the idea behind personalised statuses is great, only they aren't as integrated as WLM2009's own statuses - something should be done about that. That's primarily interface changes though, which may come automatically.
02-14-2009 11:01 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
blessedguy
Skinning Contest Winner

31 / Male / Flag
dazjorz and MrTaco, don't you thing this subject is saturated?
They won't be brought back, no matter what you and your 17 friends say.
As Acc2pmWDZ said, the WL team look to the mass. Andn not you and your friends only. I bet TONS of people asked it to be removed. Why? Because there were lots of status. And some status had the same image. brb was show with the same icon as away. Out to lunch and ona call were the same as busy. Too complex for someone with a long list of friends.
WL team want WL products to be as simple as possible. Like all those buttons from dashoard. Disappeared.
02-14-2009 11:31 AM
dazjorz

O.P. RE: Get back the statuses which were removed from WLM 2009!
quote:

There's a reason I stopped talking about it, just felt like I had to respond to this one.

quote:
Why? Because there were lots of status. And some status had the same image. brb was show with the same icon as away. Out to lunch and ona call were the same as busy. Too complex for someone with a long list of friends. WL team want WL products to be as simple as possible.

Too complex, too hard for someone with an IQ of 4 (which indeed some MSN users seem to have - but most probably score higher). Have a little faith in humanity...
02-14-2009 11:37 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
blessedguy
Skinning Contest Winner

31 / Male / Flag
Ok, so what you prefer:
Green Icon: can mean online, I'm here, I'm next to my PC, I will answear you now, I am but won't answear you now.
Yellow icon: I'm near the PC. I may be in the toilet. I may be in the kitchen. Maybe I'm not even home. I'll be back in some mionutes.
Red: I won't answear you now. I am busy! I'm not here. Maybe I'm on the phone. maybe i'm having lucnh.
Grey: not here.

or

Green: I'm available
Yellow: I'm away
Red: I'm busy
Grey: I'm unavailable.

It's not a matter of IQ. It's a matter of simplicity.

This post was edited on 02-14-2009 at 12:11 PM by blessedguy.
02-14-2009 12:10 PM
MrTaco

RE: RE: Get back the statuses which were removed from WLM 2009!
quote:
They won't be brought back, no matter what you and your 17 friends say.
Oh, I agree. I doubt there's any chance they'll bring it back. From my experience, the things I like most about products are almost guaranteed to be the first things to be removed as they become "improved".

quote:
As Acc2pmWDZ said, the WL team look to the mass. Andn not you and your friends only. I bet TONS of people asked it to be removed.
Just as they don't look to me and my friends only, they don't look to your friends only. You say you bet tons of people complained about it, I say I can't think of anyone who would have complained or why anyone would have reason to complain. It's all a matter of incredible claims that can't be backed up :P

quote:
Why? Because there were lots of status. And some status had the same image. brb was show with the same icon as away. Out to lunch and ona call were the same as busy. Too complex for someone with a long list of friends.
Come now, six is hardly "lots", or "complicated". And yes, some of them have the same icon in the contact list. But that's irrelevant to those you're in a conversation with. The status icon never appears in the yellow strip across the top of your screen, it just tells you straight out that they're away, brb, out to long, whichever. To me, that's the main purpose of the status function. The icon in the list is just something to notify you at a glance. That they're either not at the keyboard, or otherwise occupied. Then you read the end of their name for more info, to see the little bracketed word at the end. Or if you can't see it, mouse-over and find it in the tooltip.

quote:
WL team want WL products to be as simple as possible. Like all those buttons from dashoard. Disappeared.
A six-option drop-down menu is far simpler than a four-option drop-down menu combined with having to change your name or perform some other kind of action to further clarify your meaning.
Also, dashboard buttons?
02-14-2009 12:44 PM
James Potter

64 / Male / Flag
As far as I am concerned, there is no possible way to add options/features to the actual Messenger client. In this case, the statuses and their functions. (CookieRevised could help elabourate further on this subject...)
As to the rest of the whole arguement. Give up. There is no work-around for it except for Plus!'s custom statuses. We cannot do a "script" or an "add-on" or an application that would add these options back. However, what can be done is for Plus! to add the missing statuses (as personalised statuses, of course...) to the status-list by default. However, I doubt that this would happen now. It might happen at a later time, though. If Patchou finds it useful, of course.

[Image: 29dtmhs.png]
02-14-2009 01:03 PM
Pages: (5): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 5 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: