What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Bug Reports » Downloaded a Virus Along With the 4.8 Update

Downloaded a Virus Along With the 4.8 Update
Author: Message:
Master Kinare

O.P. Downloaded a Virus Along With the 4.8 Update
First off, not sure if I put this in the right forum but it seems right for me because it's not a problem I need help with, I just think you should know.

So as the title says, I log into Windows Live (which I only get one once a month anymore), it prompts me to update Messenger Plus to 4.8, and I do so. It does all the normal updating things it usually does.

Next, I get a bunch of prompts from Spybot that something I don't like is trying to get into my registry. I click "deny changes" because I know exactly what those changes mean from seeing them before and allowing, but it didn't help. And now, I have Virtumonde on my computer again. This fecking virus takes forever to get rid of and I never would have thought that because I updated Messenger Plus I'd get it AGAIN.

Oh, and for sure it had to be this because other than MSN, I was on sites I'm on all the time and never had this problem. I don't download things unless I fully trust the site because of a history of infection.

Just a little angry... sorry about my tone. But seriously, it's very annoying and now I have to sit here for a few hours to delete a virus that I did everything possibly to avoid; except update Messenger Plus, which will not happen again.

So again to clarify why I put it in this forum: I don't need help with removal, I've done it multiple times now. I believe it's a bug because it came with the update so you should fix it. Rawr.

This post was edited on 02-17-2009 at 05:22 PM by Master Kinare.
02-17-2009 05:21 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
djdannyp
Elite Member

Danny <3 Sarah

37 / Male / Flag
RE: Downloaded a Virus Along With the 4.8 Update
There's definitely no update wth the 4.80 update as long as you got it from either the official site or through the update prompt (which it sounds like you did).

Messenger Plus does ask for access to the registry during install as it stores a lot of information and settings there.....so you should have accepted, not denied it.

As for getting a virus, that was unreleated to Messenger Plus Live and most likely just a coincidence that you noticed it at that time
[Image: 1ftt0hpk-signature.png]
AutoStatus Script || Facebook Status Script
5231 days, 23 hours, 19 minutes, 6 seconds ago
02-17-2009 07:12 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: