What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » No more sounds with alerts :(

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
No more sounds with alerts :(
Author: Message:
Tominho

O.P. RE: No more sounds with alerts :(
As I said, before "formating" my computer, everything was working perfectly with the sound playing for each alert.

And when manually I put the sounds now, I don't find the "default" one you're talking about Patchou? Is there any way to find it ?
01-22-2009 02:26 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Tominho

I was dreaming the new version would correct it but...

Patchou have you got the "default" sound that was used before for the alert statut ? Can you put it somewhere to download it please ?
02-02-2009 02:53 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: No more sounds with alerts :(
That default sound is not something you select (well, you can, but you don't have to). You simply need to leave the filebox (beside the "file sound:" label) blank, thus don't select a file or clear the box if there is a file listed in there.

This is also explained in the tooltip when you hoover over the filebox:

[Image: attachment.php?pid=949846]

What Patchou said is that in WLM9 this default sound is not very loud, in fact it is very silent and very short. It is very easy to not notice it playing. So if you have a slightly different volume set or the sound settings in Windows are a bit different than what they were before you formatted, then it is possible that you don't hear a thing, eventhough the default sound is in fact playing properly.

The default sound for notifications is found in Windows Live Messenger's installation directory and is named "newalert.wma". But as said, you don't really need to select it, just leave the file box blank. You can however try to play it with your external media player to hear how 'loud' it is.

.png File Attachment: eventnotifications.png (25.8 KB)
This file has been downloaded 178 time(s).

This post was edited on 02-02-2009 at 08:27 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
02-02-2009 08:07 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Tominho

Thanks for your answer.

The thing is, I always select "play a sound" without choosing it manually before, and I had a clear sound, as loud as the connexion one. This sound was really different from the "newalert.wma".

So I'm very disappointing 'cause , I don't ear any sound, even if I put the Pc volume up. And it's doing it on a pc which was just formate, and a notebook which was having previous versions of MSN and Plus ! Although, I was having the "sound" on my Notebook before installing the new WLM. Maybe there is a link with that, and that the new version cancelled the "basic sound" that was playing on Plus !

I'm disappointed to see that it seems that I'm the only one to have a clear sound without choosing a sound manually :(
02-02-2009 11:20 AM
djdannyp
Elite Member

Danny <3 Sarah

37 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: No more sounds with alerts :(
quote:
Originally posted by Tominho
Thanks for your answer.

The thing is, I always select "play a sound" without choosing it manually before, and I had a clear sound, as loud as the connexion one. This sound was really different from the "newalert.wma".

So I'm very disappointing 'cause , I don't ear any sound, even if I put the Pc volume up. And it's doing it on a pc which was just formate, and a notebook which was having previous versions of MSN and Plus ! Although, I was having the "sound" on my Notebook before installing the new WLM. Maybe there is a link with that, and that the new version cancelled the "basic sound" that was playing on Plus !

I'm disappointed to see that it seems that I'm the only one to have a clear sound without choosing a sound manually :(

as Cookie has pointed out, the default sound that comes with the new WLM is VERY quiet, it is nothing to do with messenger plus

If you want a louder sound, then either use Messenger 8.5, or select your own custom sound, rather than just leaving it for the default sound.
[Image: 1ftt0hpk-signature.png]
AutoStatus Script || Facebook Status Script
5233 days, 23 hours, 4 minutes, 14 seconds ago
02-02-2009 12:09 PM
Tominho

Damned, I was loving this sound, it was perfect :(
02-02-2009 12:21 PM
djdannyp
Elite Member

Danny <3 Sarah

37 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: No more sounds with alerts :(
quote:
Originally posted by Tominho
Damned, I was loving this sound, it was perfect :(

if you want the sound, ask someone who has 8.5 to send you newalert.wma from the folder

c:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger

and select that as the sound to be played for alerts
[Image: 1ftt0hpk-signature.png]
AutoStatus Script || Facebook Status Script
5233 days, 23 hours, 4 minutes, 14 seconds ago
02-02-2009 12:25 PM
Tominho

Oh yeah it's working :)

I replace the newalert by the old one, and test it. If you don't select it manually il the Plus ! options, it does'nt work, but if you go and select it, it's working :)

Thx a lot :)
02-02-2009 03:05 PM
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: