What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Webcam / mic problems.

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Webcam / mic problems.
Author: Message:
Faithie

O.P. Webcam / mic problems.
Okay, so I finally got windows live messenger (the newest one, not sure of the version) working on this computer, but it doesn't work correctly.

When I try to do a video chat, my friend can see me, but I can't see myself in the little box where my webcam would show up. It just appears as a camera with a red X over it.

WLM also turns down my sound settings to almost nothing, so I can't be heard during the conversation. I have turned my mic all the way up (by going through tools -> audio video set up, and adjusting the microphone slider.) but whenever I start a video chat, it moves my mic volume back down to almost nothing. In msn 8.5, I used ventrillo to chat during a video call. However, I can't do that in this situation since my mic gets turned down for every application on my computer.

Please help! Thank you.

edit: oh, also, you can't get to the wlm sound settings during a video chat. a pop up will tell you you can only adjust it when not in a video chat. x.x

This post was edited on 02-06-2009 at 04:35 PM by Faithie.
02-06-2009 04:24 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Joshua

.:The Best Brain:.

27 / Male / Flag
RE: Webcam / mic problems.
What motherboard are you using? Go download the latest sound drivers for it. After you adjust the Microphone slider, do you click cancel or OK? (Some ppl click cancel 8-) )
Tell me the results.
02-06-2009 11:37 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Faithie

O.P. RE: Webcam / mic problems.
How do I find out what motherboard I have? And the drivers would be from where? ^^; And yes, I click okay to apply to settings :P I turns the volume back up for ventrilo for the time being until I start up the webcam again and it turns itself back down.

ty for replying :)
02-07-2009 12:54 AM
Joshua

27 / Male / Flag
To find out what motherboard you have...

If you're using XP, then find the 'My Computer' icon, right-click on it and click properties.

If you're using Vista, then you can try this download. It won't harm your computer in any way.
quote:
The Belarc Advisor builds a detailed profile of your installed software and hardware, missing Microsoft hotfixes, anti-virus status, CIS (Center for Internet Security) benchmarks, and displays the results in your Web browser. All of your PC profile information is kept private on your PC and is not sent to any web server.
code:
http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Drivers--
If you are using Intel motherboard, then go to
code:
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/default.aspx

I'm not so sure about other motherboards.

This post was edited on 02-07-2009 at 03:47 AM by Joshua.
02-07-2009 03:38 AM
ryxdp

29 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Webcam / mic problems.
quote:
Originally posted by Joshua
To find out what motherboard you have...

If you're using XP, then find the 'My Computer' icon, right-click on it and click properties.

Neither XP nor Vista tells you your motherboard make & model that way. Not even the Device Manager lists the motherboard itself. I'd just use Belarc Advisor, although I've never tried it. It seems it would probably do a good job of identifying the motherboard.

EDIT: Also, if you don't want to use Belarc (you might as well though, but the following method doesn't require a lot of tech knowledge unless you mess around with stuff), you can open up the case and check to see what motherboard you have. If your PC is OEM (prebuilt ones like DELL, Acer etc.) it's not likely you'll find out what model it is just from a quick look. If you or someone else built the PC for you, it's more than likely it's an ASUS, MSI, Intel, Gigabyte, or something similar, which usually have their model numbers printed on them.

This post was edited on 02-07-2009 at 04:44 AM by ryxdp.
02-07-2009 04:35 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Joshua

27 / Male / Flag
I'm not so familiar with Win XP, as I'm using Win Vista Home Premium.
02-07-2009 04:52 AM
Faithie

O.P. RE: Webcam / mic problems.
I am running XP on a premade dell computer. This is the result belarc gave me:

http://home.sailormoon.com/faithiefaith/belarc.htm

I'm not really sure how to read it. Sorry I'm so clueless, guys. ^^;
02-07-2009 04:37 PM
ryxdp

29 / Male / Flag
Your motherboard is an OEM DELL 0J3492. A quick Google search tells me there's not much info on this.
02-07-2009 09:15 PM
Joshua

27 / Male / Flag
There isn't much info about the motherboard OEM DELL 0J3492. After doing a search on Dell's website,even Dell couldn't search for something similar to those keywords.
02-08-2009 12:07 AM
toddy
Veteran Member

kcus uoy

– / Male / Flag
not sure why you want to know about the motherboard, but its based on Intel 925X, sound card needs ADI 1980 AC'97 Codec

plenty of info on dells website, if you search properly. for dimension 8400 overview see here

as for the possible fix for the issue
quote:
If you experience poor audio quality, distortion, or echoing in Windows Live Call, try the following:
Run Audio and Video setup again

1. On the Tools menu, click Audio and Video setup.
2. Follow the instructions in the wizard.
3. When you reach the end of the wizard, click Finish.

Adjust your microphone

1. On the Tools menu, click Audio and Video setup.
2. Follow the instructions in the wizard. Use the slider to adjust the volume of your microphone.
3. When you reach the end of the wizard, click Finish.

If your broadband connection runs at 256 kilobits per second (Kbps) or less

1. On the Tools menu, click Options.
2. Select the Optimize my experience for a low-bandwidth broadband connection check box, and then click OK.

Notes

* If you are using USB 1.1, you may experience poor quality when you use both audio and video at the same time. You will receive the best quality audio and video when you connect your USB device directly to your computer.
* We recommend that you make computer-to-phone calls only over a broadband connection.
* If you are downloading large files or running other programs during your call, the quality of the call may deteriorate. Close other programs and file downloads to conserve bandwidth.
* Windows Live Call network performance can also affect the quality of your call. To check the status of the network, go to the Windows Live Call Network Status website.

This post was edited on 02-08-2009 at 01:16 AM by toddy.
02-08-2009 01:11 AM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: