What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Windows Live Comminucation Platform Error

1 votes - 5 average   Windows Live Comminucation Platform Error
Author: Message:
Ammi

Aethereal Incarnadine

33 / Male / Flag
O.P. Windows Live Comminucation Platform Error
I keep getting this error whenever I log into Windows Live Messenger (Ver. 2009, 14.0.whatever).

If I don't touch the error, Messenger is fine, but sounds are disabled. If I click SEND ERROR or DON'T SEND ERROR, Messenger just crashes. :/ What the hell...? It's ever since I installed the latest update for it about a day or two ago. Microsoft is hacking me? D:

Note: If you need a screenshot, I'll upload it to this post.

EDIT: I have now uploaded the screenshot.

NOTE: Yes, I am using AlienGUIse (with WindowBlinds and StarDock).

.jpg File Attachment: untitled.JPG (185.66 KB)
This file has been downloaded 1183 time(s).

This post was edited on 02-08-2009 at 06:22 PM by Ammi.
Those who never fail are those who never try.
02-08-2009 04:59 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
toddy
Veteran Member

kcus uoy

– / Male / Flag
RE: Windows Live Comminucation Platform Error
quote:
Originally posted by Ammi
If you need a screenshot
yes
02-08-2009 06:21 AM
Joshua

.:The Best Brain:.

27 / Male / Flag
Try reinstalling it again.
02-08-2009 07:43 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Sim Kai Long

– / Male / Flag
Don't bother with the re-installations. It's a virus. Try running a VMWare machine and only install WLM. You'd find that it doesn't have that gay error. I had it before and I proceeded for a backup of data and reformatted. I've since not have any problems regarding this Windows Live Communication Platform thing.
[Image: fo2a85.jpg]
02-08-2009 09:57 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
wtf it's not a virus :p
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
02-08-2009 10:23 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Ammi

Aethereal Incarnadine

33 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Windows Live Comminucation Platform Error
Well, I have ran multiple scans, and nothing was found. It's not a virus. Hold on, I'll take a screenie.

EDIT: I have uploaded the screenshot in the first post. Go have a look.

NOTE: Yes, I am using AlienGUIse (with WindowBlinds and StarDock).

This post was edited on 02-08-2009 at 06:22 PM by Ammi.
Those who never fail are those who never try.
02-08-2009 06:16 PM
Joshua

.:The Best Brain:.

27 / Male / Flag
quote:
Greetings,

Since it did work at one point, to start troubleshooting this you might just remove the
locally cached store of your contact information.

To do so, shut down Messenger and delete the following folder:
\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Contacts

Where username is your Windows username. Additionally, some of these folders will be hidden
if browsing by default, so to see them simply press the Alt key on the keyboard in any
Windows Explorer window to bring up the toolbar, click Tools, then Folder Options, then the
View tab, and then choose 'Show hidden files and folders'. After click OK, they should appear
with the other folders.

--
Jonathan Kay
Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger
MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
MessengerGeek Blog: http://www.messengergeek.com
Messenger Resources: http://messenger.jonathankay.com
(c) 2009 Jonathan Kay - If redistributing, you must include this signature or citation
--

quote:
Thank you for contacting Windows Live Messenger Technical Support. My name is Ryan and I'll be glad to assist you with your concern.

Based on the information I received, I understand that you received error code 80048826 when you tried to sign in to Windows Live Messenger. You also mentioned that you tried the steps that my colleagues gave but to no avail. I know this must be an inconvenience to you. Be assured I'll do my best to help you out.

To eliminate that this issue is not caused by corrupted files in the Windows Live Messenger program, you need to perform clean installation. This process is almost the same as removing and reinstalling the program in your computer. However, this will completely remove other files associated with the program.

The following instructions are lengthy but it is important that you follow them carefully to ensure the problem is resolved. I know how this can be quite confusing but I would appreciate your patience in accomplishing each step. Here are the steps that you should follow:

1. Remove Windows Live Messenger from the computer.
a. In the notification area, right-click the Windows Live Messenger icon, and then click Sign Out.
b. Click Start, click Run, type control appwiz.cpl, and then click OK.
c. In the list of currently installed programs, select MSN Messenger or select Windows Live Messenger, and then click Remove.
d. If you are prompted to confirm, click Yes.

2. Remove the temporary files and folders from the computer:
a. Click Start, click Run, type cleanmgr, and then click OK.
b. If you are prompted, click C: in the Select the drive you want to clean up list, and then click OK.

Notes: If you partitioned the hard disk, the CleanMgr utility prompts you to select a drive. The Disk Cleanup utility displays how much disk space can be freed. This process can take several minutes.

c. On the Disk Cleanup tab, make sure that only the following options are selected:
- Downloaded Program Files
- Temporary Internet Files
- Temporary files
- Temporary Offline Files
- Offline Files

d. Click OK two times.

3. Delete Windows Live Messenger related cache files

a. Click Start, click Run, type CMD, and then press Enter to open a command window. Execute the following commands one at a time and hit Enter after each command to execute each of them.
b. The following commands delete files that are using when you sign in and the Contacts Cache folders.

del "%USERPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\IdentityCRL"
del "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\IdentityCRL"
del "%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Live Contacts"<>
del "%USERPROFILE%\Contacts"

c. The following commands delete files related to sharing folders. Executing this command may result in deleting the files your contacts shared with you or that you shared with your contacts using the sharing Folders feature. Please create a backup of these files , if desired, before executing the next two commands.

del "%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Messenger\\Sharing Folders"
del "%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Messenger\\SharingMetaData"

Note: In these examples, is the e-mail address that you use to sign in to Windows Live Messenger.

4. Delete Windows Live Messenger-associated registry keys.

Important: The following steps contain information about how to modifying the registry. Before you modify the registry, make sure to back it up, and make sure that you understand how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For information about how to back up, restore, and edit the registry, visit the following Web site: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256986

Warning: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

a. Click Start, click Run, type CMD, and then press Enter to open the command window.
b. Type the following commands exactly as they appear below. Press Enter after typing each command to execute the command.

Note: In some case you may encounter the error that the key does not exist. If you have typed the command correctly, this may be because the key has already been removed earlier or does not exists on your machine.

REG DELETE HKLM\Software\Microsoft\MSNMessenger /f
REG DELETE HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSNMessenger /f
REG DELETE HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Live\ Communications Clients\Shared /f
REG DELETE HKCU\Software\Microsoft\IdentityCRL /f
REG DELETE HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\usnjsvc /f

5. Restart the computer.

6. Reinstall Windows Live Messenger:
a. Visit the following Web site: http://get.live.com/messenger/overview
b. Click Get it free.
c. In the Set up your Messenger window, select your settings and then click Install.
d. In the File Download window, click Save or click Run.
e. Follow the steps to install Windows Live Messenger.

I hope these steps resolve your concern with Windows Live Messenger. If you need further assistance, you may contact us at http://support.live.com. For additional information and self-help instructions, visit https://account.live.com/HelpCentral.aspx and choose Windows Live Messenger from the drop-down menu.

Thank you for contacting Windows Live Messenger Technical Support. Have a great day.

Sincerely,

Ryan
Windows Live Messenger Technical Support

Ran a google search and found these two posts about your topic, let me know if it works after trying this.
02-09-2009 01:43 PM
silfarions

~.~

36 / Male / Flag
why the windows live messenger tab does'nt appear on my add/remove program?? is there something wrong??
this is frustrating me....:@ i'm already reformat my windows but it's still come with windows live communication platform error.
02-11-2009 05:53 AM
Mike
Elite Member

Meet the Spam Family!

31 / Male / Flag
Don't use a custom theme.
YouTube closed-captions ripper (also allows you to download videos!)
02-11-2009 01:03 PM
siwel125

write the main thing that causes the platform to crash is alienGUise!!
if you want your windows live messenger to work go back to either to your vista's or XP's original theme then try signing into your msn!
it will 100% work after you have done this.
you might have to restart your computer for it to work...
(Y)

thankyou for listening...
xxx
06-07-2009 04:01 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: