What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » [ Suggestion ] Online synchronization custom emoticons

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
[ Suggestion ] Online synchronization custom emoticons
Author: Message:
thecursedfly

O.P. [ Suggestion ] Online synchronization custom emoticons
Hello all,
here comes my great suggestion:

have you ever used "foxmarks" for Firefox (link)? It's an addon which lets you store on a website (theirs, or a web space you configure) all your browser bookmarks. It's simply wonderful in my opinion. I have 2 pc's, and sometimes use the school one, and this way i can always have my bookmarks synchronized (also on my usb stick -> firefox portable). I reinstall firefox after a pc reset (format)? As soon as I install the addon, I have all my bookmarks again. You should really try it.

What I suggest is simply to make a similar feature available (disabled by default for performance maybe). I would configure my webspace, and there, each time I start and close msn, it would check if any emoticon changed, and would synchronize the two (and maybe it would make a check at regulat time lapses). If I reinstall msn&msnplus, I insert the configuration data, and download them all back rapidly.

I think this would really be awesome.

Thx for the attention, and have a nice day. (H)

This post was edited on 02-16-2009 at 02:48 PM by thecursedfly.
02-16-2009 02:47 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Thor
Veteran Member

Awwwwwwww.

31 / – / Flag
RE: [ Suggestion ] Online synchronization custom emoticons
quote:
Originally posted by thecursedfly
Hello all,
here comes my great suggestion:

have you ever used "foxmarks" for Firefox (link)? It's an addon which lets you store on a website (theirs, or a web space you configure) all your browser bookmarks. It's simply wonderful in my opinion. I have 2 pc's, and sometimes use the school one, and this way i can always have my bookmarks synchronized (also on my usb stick -> firefox portable). I reinstall firefox after a pc reset (format)? As soon as I install the addon, I have all my bookmarks again. You should really try it.

What I suggest is simply to make a similar feature available (disabled by default for performance maybe). I would configure my webspace, and there, each time I start and close msn, it would check if any emoticon changed, and would synchronize the two (and maybe it would make a check at regulat time lapses). If I reinstall msn&msnplus, I insert the configuration data, and download them all back rapidly.

I think this would really be awesome.

Thx for the attention, and have a nice day. (H)
If this had been a couple of years ago when I used custom emoticons, I'd support this. ;) However, those times have passed.

Frankly, I think this would suit better as a script than as a feature of MP!L, especially considering the biggest userbase is rather young. It's too complicated to be as a feature, as most will simply not a) understand the purpose b) understand how to use it.

Again, I do think this could do as a script. (Perhaps sync more than just emoticons, perhaps chat logs as well? (Now, that's something that would be useful! :p))
:plus4: Translation guidelines for Messenger Plus! Live
I'm no longer around this town, but I miss the community dearly. You can always find me lurking in #banana, or at
nitrolinken.net.
02-16-2009 04:03 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
thecursedfly

O.P. RE: [ Suggestion ] Online synchronization custom emoticons
you see?!? once set up the synchronizing system, you can synchronize whatever you want! emoticons, chat logs, other things, future implemented things... you just have to find a online space (there are plenty for free) :D

and if it's done well, it's also easy to understand how it works and how to use it for people... try the addon i meantioned in the first post, it's incredibly easy to understand imo.. :-)

i use a reasonable number of custom emoticons, just the ones with a meaning and that make me express better... so, i think it's very useful for many people in that way... when i have to reinstall msn and don't find my abitual emoticons it's a pain (+/-).. +o(

just look at how many people ask to the adium team when the custom emoticons thing will work there too.. :P
02-16-2009 04:49 PM
Vilkku
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
A general sync script for Plus! would rock, indeed. Could grab anything from sounds to the general settings, I'd use it.
[Image: signature.php]
02-16-2009 05:31 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Thor
Veteran Member

Awwwwwwww.

31 / – / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by thecursedfly
you see?!? once set up the synchronizing system, you can synchronize whatever you want! emoticons, chat logs, other things, future implemented things... you just have to find a online space (there are plenty for free) :D

and if it's done well, it's also easy to understand how it works and how to use it for people... try the addon i meantioned in the first post, it's incredibly easy to understand imo.. :-)

i use a reasonable number of custom emoticons, just the ones with a meaning and that make me express better... so, i think it's very useful for many people in that way... when i have to reinstall msn and don't find my abitual emoticons it's a pain (+/-).. +o(

just look at how many people ask to the adium team when the custom emoticons thing will work there too.. :P
I have used Foxmarks in the past, however, I switched over to del.icio.us to get a fresh start and mixed together with the community and awesome tagging - I'm not going back.

Apart from that, I support youridea. Yet, I don't think this is something for Plus!, but for a script.

Boy, it'd be nice to be able to synchronize scripts too.
:plus4: Translation guidelines for Messenger Plus! Live
I'm no longer around this town, but I miss the community dearly. You can always find me lurking in #banana, or at
nitrolinken.net.
02-16-2009 05:54 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
Let us logically think of this. I have 10Mm of scripts. Probably 1Mb of Emoticons, (no sounds) but say i have 5Mb of sounds.

16Mb for 3 features of Plus! not including skins and what not. Now
16Mb * 50million users.

Assuming every active user would use the feature...
16Mb * 50,000,000 = 800,000,000Mb...
800,000,000/1024 = 781,250Gb
781,250Gb/1024 = 763Tb

Fuck that not worth it!
02-16-2009 09:09 PM
thecursedfly

O.P. RE: [ Suggestion ] Online synchronization custom emoticons
that's why I described the fact that foxmarks permit to use a own web space to store the data... (also because I doubt I would trust to store my chat logs on a centralized web space where everybody knows there are millions of chat logs..)

but implementing this feature/script would make possible other options I don't know, probably also commercial ones... up to you, as long as I can store them in another place.. XD

and naturally, I think there are ways to check if some data is allready stored exactly as the new one, so to cut down the redundancy of the sounds or gif images... just thinking a bit technically, dunno how complicated this would become.. :P

anyway that was my idea, and I love it... cannot do more.. :/

This post was edited on 02-16-2009 at 09:25 PM by thecursedfly.
02-16-2009 09:23 PM
Vilkku
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: [ Suggestion ] Online synchronization custom emoticons
quote:
Originally posted by matty
Let us logically think of this. I have 10Mm of scripts. Probably 1Mb of Emoticons, (no sounds) but say i have 5Mb of sounds.

16Mb for 3 features of Plus! not including skins and what not. Now
16Mb * 50million users.

Assuming every active user would use the feature...
16Mb * 50,000,000 = 800,000,000Mb...
800,000,000/1024 = 781,250Gb
781,250Gb/1024 = 763Tb

Fuck that not worth it!
You just read "sync" and instantly replied about the numbers... This thread is more about a script, or at least the possibility to use your own webspace.

This post was edited on 02-17-2009 at 06:49 AM by Vilkku.
[Image: signature.php]
02-17-2009 06:49 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
exbox

I've seen this feature requested several other times as well. Messenger automatically syncs your Display Picture using their server, so they may or may not support emoticons in the future. My bet would be that synced emoticons and smileys are not likely to happen anytime soon, so a script would be useful.
GOOGLE is your friend.
02-17-2009 01:27 PM
limeares

WLM 2009 & Facebook lover..

– / Male / Flag
(Y) I have always been looking a script for this. Please TheGuRuSupremacy, we know that a script like this is very simple for you :) haha just kidding, but it would be soo great if you do it. :D. And talking about the bandwidth of the website, the backup could be online such as Windows Live SkyDrive (my favorite) or box.net.. Both free!

EDIT: Post 50!

This post was edited on 03-03-2009 at 02:59 AM by limeares.
[Image: msgplusliveb4681bk1.gif][Image: msgdiscovery_468b.gif]
03-02-2009 07:45 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: