What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » [Suggestion] Skin previewer

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
[Suggestion] Skin previewer
Author: Message:
DennisMartijn

O.P. [Suggestion] Skin previewer
Yup. Have a build-in skin-previewer.
The preview window will continue to reload the skin, so after each saved edit it auto-reloads to preview. No need to login, the previewer draws seperate windows you get to choose.

Example. You are so tired of the advertisement at the bottom of the contact list, but you aren't entirely sure how to remove it. You use the previewer, fool around with the skin files, save, and just a few seconds later you see what you did in the previewer.

The previewer should also have error-replacement - Meaning if some element(s) aren't properly coded to be drawn, then the preview window will be a plain color with the text (just an image): "Unable to preview. Please check .....xml/txt/uib/etc and correct the problem" (or similar).

Then I get to another idea. You click on a part of the window in the previewer, and the previewer then tells you what files are related to that part. It will spin out the UI files related, but aswell the image file in question. If you get to preview the default look of messenger aswell that way, it will be alot easier for skinners to know what to edit.

Discuss.
02-17-2009 09:23 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
djdannyp
Elite Member

Danny <3 Sarah

37 / Male / Flag
RE: [Suggestion] Skin previewer
I'd be massively behind this idea

It'd be so much better than having to load a new instance of messenger and sign in with a dummy account each time.

There could be huge limitations behind it......but I'd really like to see something like this, even if very basic at first, introduced into Messenger Plus! Live

Version 5's big new feature perhaps?
[Image: 1ftt0hpk-signature.png]
AutoStatus Script || Facebook Status Script
5216 days, 19 hours, 54 minutes, 12 seconds ago
02-17-2009 09:38 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
ryxdp

29 / Male / Flag
Hmm...Do we know how to parse the UIBs properly? This is the first question that should be asked before anything is started; we wouldn't be able to start anyway without a "Yes" for this.
02-17-2009 10:05 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Willz

36 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by DennisMartijn
Yup. Have a build-in skin-previewer.
The preview window will continue to reload the skin, so after each saved edit it auto-reloads to preview. No need to login, the previewer draws seperate windows you get to choose.

Example. You are so tired of the advertisement at the bottom of the contact list, but you aren't entirely sure how to remove it. You use the previewer, fool around with the skin files, save, and just a few seconds later you see what you did in the previewer.

The previewer should also have error-replacement - Meaning if some element(s) aren't properly coded to be drawn, then the preview window will be a plain color with the text (just an image): "Unable to preview. Please check .....xml/txt/uib/etc and correct the problem" (or similar).

Then I get to another idea. You click on a part of the window in the previewer, and the previewer then tells you what files are related to that part. It will spin out the UI files related, but aswell the image file in question. If you get to preview the default look of messenger aswell that way, it will be alot easier for skinners to know what to edit.

Discuss.

Too many variables to deal with and would be a pain to update for every new build of Messenger. Somehow I don't think Patchou would invest the time in something like this with other stuff that could be done.
02-17-2009 11:09 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
blessedguy
Skinning Contest Winner

31 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Willz
Too many variables to deal with and would be a pain to update for every new build of Messenger. Somehow I don't think Patchou would invest the time in something like this with other stuff that could be done.
Thought the same =P
But wouldn't it be possible to reload messenger resources without  the need to login?
Only closing the window, for example.
(Like if you are editing the ConvoWindow, so you would activate a "test mode" in your skininfo and Plus! would load that window's resources everytime it is opened...)
[Image: Empty.png]
02-17-2009 04:32 PM
Willz

36 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: [Suggestion] Skin previewer
quote:
Originally posted by blessedguy
quote:
Thought the same =P
But wouldn't it be possible to reload messenger resources without  the need to login?
Only closing the window, for example.
(Like if you are editing the ConvoWindow, so you would activate a "test mode" in your skininfo and Plus! would load that window's resources everytime it is opened...)

I've talked to Patch about quick reloading a skin in the past and he has said that there are issues and that not all resources can be reloaded that way. I'm not sure how it would even work with UIB in the picture now.
02-17-2009 11:02 PM
blessedguy
Skinning Contest Winner

31 / Male / Flag
quote:
I've talked to Patch about quick reloading a skin in the past and he has said that there are issues and that not all resources can be reloaded that way. I'm not sure how it would even work with UIB in the picture now.
nice to know =)
who knows... maybe he discovers some way to do it =D
02-17-2009 11:15 PM
Nathan
Veteran Member

Yeah, "large dimensions" ;)

– / Male / Flag
I don't see why (as mentioned previously) you can't load another instance of messenger (with the new theme), and login using a fake email address (one that you supply, maybe?).
Nothing can go wrong with that, really...
Touch Innovation - touch friendly programs/applications for the windows mobile!

02-17-2009 11:56 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
blessedguy
Skinning Contest Winner

31 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Nathan
I don't see why (as mentioned previously) you can't load another instance of messenger (with the new theme), and login using a fake email address (one that you supply, maybe?).
Yeah, that's right. but its still opening Messenger again... and then closing it again... it is OK but a quicker way would be welcome =)
02-18-2009 12:00 AM
Willz

36 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: [Suggestion] Skin previewer
quote:
Originally posted by Nathan

We can already do that ourselves :P its called a testing account. What people want is a way to do it without having to constantly launch messenger.
02-18-2009 12:04 AM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: