What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Windows Live Messenger 9 MASSIVE SIGN IN ISSUE

Windows Live Messenger 9 MASSIVE SIGN IN ISSUE
Author: Message:
vicky-bum

O.P. Dodgy  Windows Live Messenger 9 MASSIVE SIGN IN ISSUE
[font=Courier]Please please please can someone help me - I am being driven mad trying to fix a sign in problem with WLM 9.  I downloaded it on my PC yesterday and have since uninstalled and re-installed it.  When I sign in nothing happens, literally nothing.  The little men twirl round and then it cuts back with no error message.  I went into tools/options/connections/advanced and tested the first two connections which succeeded.  The http test, however, failed and said "unable to connect error 80072efd". 

Like I said I have uninstalled, re-installed - I have also tried to "repair" it. I am using Windows firewall which has the program allowed and I also opened port 80 and port 433 which I read to do in another forum.  In the internet explorer options, I double checked the settings against all the advice I found in various forums.

I usually use my laptop for messenger but can vaguely remember trying to install an older version to my PC a while back and I think I had the same problem.  I don't know what this means.

PLEASE PLEASE help me :) x
02-18-2009 01:37 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Moh

– / Male / Flag
RE: Windows Live Messenger 9 MASSIVE SIGN IN ISSUE
From Windows Live Help:

Error 80072efd: You cannot sign in to Windows Live Messenger
You may not be able to sign in because of problems with your firewall (A security feature designed to help protect a computer from unauthorized external access. It can be hardware, software, or both.) or proxy settings. Visit another website to confirm that you're connected to the Internet. If you are connected, check your firewall settings and adjust your proxy settings:
Check your firewall settings
1.Go to the MSN Web Messenger website.
2.Click Start MSN Web Messenger, and then try to sign in.

If you can sign in to MSN Web Messenger, but Windows Live Messenger still can't access the Internet, Windows Live Messenger may be blocked by a firewall. You may need to add MSNmsgr.exe to your firewall's allow list. For more information, see your firewall's documentation or website.

Adjust your Windows Internet Explorer proxy settings
1.Open Windows Internet Explorer.
2.On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
3.On the Connections tab, click LAN Settings.
4.Clear the Automatically detect settings check box.
5.Click OK, and then click OK again.

Note
For more information about the network ports and web addresses that Messenger uses, see Network ports and URLs that are required for Windows Live Messenger 2009 to work.

This post was edited on 02-18-2009 at 01:57 AM by Moh.
02-18-2009 01:51 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
DennisMartijn

Bump.

The firewall solution does NOT work. This is a very common misunderstanding, it isnīt related to the firewall.

I just recieved this error updating from a 2009 build to another 2009 build, an update message box recieved today. After installation, I couldnīt login anymore.

Tried reverting back to old versions, all .dll refreshes, socket refreshes, dns flushes, all the solutions found on the internet but they do not work.

So.. if anyone could help me... :(
02-19-2009 10:58 AM
TONYS

Hello DennisMartijn
I recommending you to uninstall the version that you have right now, and download the full version from http://download.live.com/messenger
the problem may be with the update.

have a nice day!
02-19-2009 11:31 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: