What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Stop Automatic Updates from restarting computer

Stop Automatic Updates from restarting computer
Author: Message:
Th3rmal
Veteran Member

Peek-a-boo! I see you!!

32 / Male / Flag
O.P. Stop Automatic Updates from restarting computer
Is there a way to disable Automatic Updates from restarting my computer when it installs something new? It really pisses me off, because every time some new update is installed, something else fails to work. eg. pc wont start up properly, usb drives need to be re-installed etc.

Any help?

PS. I also have a problem where my pc wont start up until all the USB drives have been removed from it. Any fix for this? :S
You have the intellect comparable to that of a rock. Be proud.
02-25-2009 08:07 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
djdannyp
Elite Member

Danny <3 Sarah

37 / Male / Flag
RE: Stop Automatic Updates from restarting computer
If you want to stop it auto-restarting the computer then set the automatic update settings to download updates, but not to install them.

Then you can just install them yourself whenever you're ready and then the computer will be re-started in your presence.

As for the USB problem, what does it do when you leave a USB drive in?  Like does it give you an error message?
[Image: 1ftt0hpk-signature.png]
AutoStatus Script || Facebook Status Script
5222 days, 13 hours, 41 minutes, 8 seconds ago
02-25-2009 08:31 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Th3rmal
Veteran Member

Peek-a-boo! I see you!!

32 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Stop Automatic Updates from restarting computer
quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp

As for the USB problem, what does it do when you leave a USB drive in?  Like does it give you an error message?
No it just stays on the first Dell screen and doesnt move on, and for me to shut the computer down i have to hold down the power button for the 7 seconds, instead of just pressing it and the computer shutting down straight away like it should do at that point in startup :S

quote:
If you want to stop it auto-restarting the computer then set the automatic update settings to download updates, but not to install them.
You have the intellect comparable to that of a rock. Be proud.
02-25-2009 08:35 PM
Vilkku
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Stop Automatic Updates from restarting computer
quote:
Originally posted by Th3rmal
quote:

No it just stays on the first Dell screen and doesnt move on, and for me to shut the computer down i have to hold down the power button for the 7 seconds, instead of just pressing it and the computer shutting down straight away like it should do at that point in startup :S
Check the boot priority in the BIOS, and if USB is before HDD, put it after it and see if it helps.
[Image: signature.php]
02-25-2009 09:27 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: