What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Vista Ultimate OEM

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Vista Ultimate OEM
Author: Message:
Voldemort
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
RE: Vista Ultimate OEM
maaaaaaybe because its not true?
*All posts are a purely speculative hypothesis based on abstract reasoning.
Not my daughter, you bitch!
[Image: ico-mollytrix16.gif]
01-11-2007 09:56 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Kenji
Veteran Member

Previously: Dazmatic, Dazzy, :zippy:

32 / Male / Flag
shit i never put my sticker on my PC, I'm illegalz now :o
01-11-2007 10:01 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
mad dog mcg

– / Male / –
lol if you need to reload your pc and dont have a serial key then your original cd is worthless thats what i mean so oem is perfect ,  i have always used oem versions since my original cd key was lost
01-11-2007 11:44 PM
Moo

oem cds don't take normal keys
01-12-2007 12:03 AM
surfichris
Former Admin

quote:
OEM build, Can be activated once or something.

Whats the catch?

I cant change hardware in my machine? if i upgrade my PC it becomes invalid?
You can change the hardware in your machine however if you make a significant change such as a hard drive and motherboard, Windows will assume you're using a new PC and thus ask you to activate it again.

(Motherboard changes alone can cause re-activation, but a lot of the time its more if you change both)

quote:
Edit : As far as i know i can't buy OEM edition because its locked to your pc, if i upgrade a bit of hardware it break the license agreement.
No, you won't break the license agreement.

The limitations of the OEM license are that you can't transfer it between your machines - that is you can't decide you want to take it off a machine and put it on another - it needs to stay on the same machine. (This is the same as the Windows XP OEM License)

For this reason I'd say they only allow 1 activation (well, you said they do - I just haven't confirmed this yet).

If you do end up changing your motherboard or other significant hardware components and you're asked to activate Windows again then you can ring up Microsoft, explain what you've done and they'll do the activation for you manually.

Hope that clears things up for you (unlike the other posts in this thread which are completely off topic) and if you have any further questions, just ask them here and I'll get back to you.

Chris

This post was edited on 01-12-2007 at 05:22 AM by surfichris.
01-12-2007 05:21 AM
ipab
Veteran Member

Design Evolved

34 / Male / Flag
Adding to surfi's post...

They check to see if you need to re-activate it or not through something called a Hardware Hash.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457054.aspx

More info in case you want to know about it.

This post was edited on 03-09-2009 at 09:53 AM by ipab.
56656E692C 20566964692C 2056696369
01-12-2007 07:13 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Ezra
OEM version is the version that computer company's install on your computer. Like when you boy a Dell pc, with windows on it, that's the OEM version.

You're not supposed to buy the OEM version unless you're such a computer company
in some ways yes thats correct, when i had my 64bit system built the copy of WindowsXP i really wanted wasnt available at the time, or in stock at the supplier, so i installed my older 32Bit XP pro on the 64vit hardware, inna few weeks time the 64bit became available so i bought a copy but was the OEM version, with no hardware or anything,, just the software OS,  but i only paid OEM price for it,
01-12-2007 07:40 AM
Shimerstaff

Hi Guys,

ok had to post some info here as there seems to be quite a few myths floating around regarding Window OEM versions, hardware instalations, windows reactivating etc :-)
I have been working in IT Security since 1985 and as a hobbie "build" PC's for family members, friends etc, i also rebuild my own systems at least once a year !!
Firstly I always purchase OEM versions of windows as these are invariably cheaper !! I do not need to purchase any hardware I buy the programme on its own. The reason OEM software versions are cheaper is that they are packaged without all the fancy boxing and reading material, its just the disk and the serial code and thats it !! 
Activating Windows after a reload is rechecked by Microsoft within a 6 month period, ie. if you load ANY version of Windows more than twice in a six month period even though you've entered a valid actvation serial key you will need to contact microsoft again, i normally ring the number provided and have the additional serial key sent as a text to my mobile phone.
If you are purchasing software and you feel confident regarding installation always try and purchase an OEM version, you will save money, unless stated by the developers there is no restrictions regarding updates, and it keeps the cost down for postage and packaging !! Cant think of anything else to add, hope this helps a bit ...just remember not to loose your original serial key !!! GL :-)
03-06-2009 11:03 AM
Jimbo
Veteran Member

31 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Shimerstaff
Hi Guys,

ok had to post some info here as there seems to be quite a few myths floating around regarding Window OEM versions, hardware instalations, windows reactivating etc :-)
I have been working in IT Security since 1985 and as a hobbie "build" PC's for family members, friends etc, i also rebuild my own systems at least once a year !!
Firstly I always purchase OEM versions of windows as these are invariably cheaper !! I do not need to purchase any hardware I buy the programme on its own. The reason OEM software versions are cheaper is that they are packaged without all the fancy boxing and reading material, its just the disk and the serial code and thats it !! 
Activating Windows after a reload is rechecked by Microsoft within a 6 month period, ie. if you load ANY version of Windows more than twice in a six month period even though you've entered a valid actvation serial key you will need to contact microsoft again, i normally ring the number provided and have the additional serial key sent as a text to my mobile phone.
If you are purchasing software and you feel confident regarding installation always try and purchase an OEM version, you will save money, unless stated by the developers there is no restrictions regarding updates, and it keeps the cost down for postage and packaging !! Cant think of anything else to add, hope this helps a bit ...just remember not to loose your original serial key !!! GL :-)
This thread is 2 years old...
03-06-2009 01:36 PM
toddy
Veteran Member

kcus uoy

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo
Quote Quick Quote
maybe he's been busy since then :p