What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Help me choose a monitor

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Help me choose a monitor
Author: Message:
ipab
Veteran Member

Design Evolved

34 / Male / Flag
O.P. Help me choose a monitor
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N8...c=AFC-C8junctionCA

What do you guys think of this? Apparently if I use coupon code CEMCLPNS44, then the price is 129.99.

Right now I have an antiquated 17" Flat Screen CRT and I'm looking to upgrade. Do you guys think there are any drawbacks to one of these?

If you guys think that this isn't worth it, perhaps you can recommend another monitor, please bear in mind that I'm a student who is broke, so my budget for this is around ~200.

Some links of local Big Box Retailers:

www.bestbuy.ca
www.staples.ca
www.futureshop.ca
www.thesource.ca
www.tigerdirect.ca
www.ncix.com
www.a-power.com

If any of them ask for a postal code, use V3J7N8

Thanks in advance :).
56656E692C 20566964692C 2056696369
03-27-2009 01:13 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
blessedguy
Skinning Contest Winner

31 / Male / Flag
RE: Help me choose a monitor
I like Samsung's 732NW+ (17'' wide, there is also a 19'' I think...), but:
This one is better, with HDMI and 23'' ($229), or this same monitor basically but 20'' ($195).
But... yeah, I think that monitor you linked to is rly nice, although people didn't find it's speakers worth (but it is a monitor after all...) and they didn't like the buttons. Yet it doesn't come with drivers, so you have to stick with Microsoft's. In common, everyone liked it's colors, and I still think it's a nice option.
[Image: Empty.png]
03-27-2009 01:32 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
albert
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
If you're looking for something around the 19", get this :
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?s...4&logon=&langid=EN

Although I suggest you to get minimum 22, 19 on a widescreen is way to small, that's the one I sell the most to my clients :
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?l...0FS10119037&catid=

Although, if you're getting it from futureshop, maybe getting a samsung monitor would be an advantage, since we do exchange over the counter in case anything happens, that being for the full 3 years of warranty that's included with the monitor.
03-27-2009 07:54 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Something which is often forgotten: bigger isn't always better.

I mean, it depends on how close you sit to your monitor. A wopping big ass LCD might be far worse for your eyes (rapid tiring from looking all over the place) than a smaller "normal" sized LCD. You also would see a lot more of the "pixels" if you're closer to the LCD than on a smaller LCD (with the same resolutions). :p

I would say 19" is minimum if you're like 1m away from your monitor. But 24" is way to big for many desk layouts though (sure it looks awesome, but it isn't very healthy and you will get tired quicker from staring at that big screen)!!

To test this distance from the screen yourself, do normal computer stuff and after an hour or so, freeze your head and body and take a ruler and measure the distance from your eyes to the screen.

The reason I suggest to do it after 1 hour of normal PC use is that this would be the most 'natural' position your body is in and the measurement would be far more correct than when you explicitly get behind your PC to measure the distance. Unconsciencly you would position yourself to a bigger distance from the screen than when you don't think about it (and the difference can be very big).

You can use a alarm clock to sound an alarm after 1 hour, or let your mom/friend/whoever come in after 1 hour and do the measurement.

;)

This post was edited on 03-27-2009 at 08:16 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-27-2009 08:09 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
blessedguy
Skinning Contest Winner

31 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
But 24" is way to big for many desk layouts though (sure it looks awesome, but it isn't very healthy and you will get tired quicker from staring at that big screen)!!
It sure is. Mine is 17'' and I already think it's waaaaaaaay too big...
maybe because of my -6di miopy...
[Image: Empty.png]
03-27-2009 10:10 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Adeptus

As with all things in life, you get what you pay for.  It may be a good value for $129, but I'd be lying if I were to tell you it sounds like a great monitor.

Looking to spend only ~$200 you are not going to get much, but the one feature I wouldn't compromise on is height adjustable stand.  The center of your screen should be at the eye level; you don't want to have to look down. 

A decent choice close to your price point would probably be this.  I've used one myself and it's acceptable.

Another thing you need to know is that anything in your price range, including my suggestion, will be using TN panels.  It's a flat panel technology that is substantially cheaper to produce, but suffers from relatively inaccurate color reproduction and limited viewing angles (meaning that the colors and brightness will change some if you view the panel from an angle and not straight on). 

TN panels are perfectly fine for gaming and typical web browsing/office usage, but not so great if you are working with photography or desktop publishing and need color accuracy.  If you are not, you will likely find a TN panel satisfactory -- the color inaccuracy isn't something that strikes you whenever you look at it, but more of an issue of your printed work not looking like what it did on the screen.

IPS and PVA panels offer more accurate color reproduction and wider viewing angles.  However, they are more expensive and generally slower, which could be a disadvantage if your primary use is gaming.  If you are doing color-sensitive work, you might be better off keeping your CRT until you can afford a monitor using one of those.

This site offers good information about all of this and detailed reviews.
03-28-2009 03:05 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
NanaFreak
Scripting Contest Winner

32 / Male / Flag
i have This - BenQ E2200HD and it rules!
but yea... thats just my opinion... i would buy another one of these if i had the money...
03-28-2009 03:18 AM
ipab
Veteran Member

Design Evolved

34 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Help me choose a monitor
WOW, you guys gave me a lot to think about. I really appreciate it :).

I was initially thinking of an impulse buy, but it seems like I need to do thorough research before buying one and perhaps save up a little bit.

If you have any other suggestions, let me know.

Thanks again.
03-28-2009 06:18 AM
ipab
Veteran Member

Design Evolved

34 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Help me choose a monitor
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N8...s-_-L4B-_-24236053

Opinion on that?
04-03-2009 08:11 AM
NanaFreak
Scripting Contest Winner

32 / Male / Flag
i wouldnt say no to that screen, its pretty much the same as my BenQ and i love it so yea... and Asus is also a good brand plus their stuff with better images is superb (Y)

but yea, if you like the design of that screen it should do you good!

:)
04-03-2009 08:15 AM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: