What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » I want to go back to the previous version (8.5)

Pages: (3): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] Last »
I want to go back to the previous version (8.5)
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: I want to go back to the previous version (8.5)
quote:
Originally posted by Mike
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
Originally posted by Moh Zayadi
quote:
Originally posted by avidvd
quote:
((Any) way Avidvd , uninstall all of it.  ))
How can I do this?
You can use ZapMessenger for that. :)
You do not need ZapMessenger to simply uninstall Messenger!!

Go to Add/Remove Programs and run Windows Live Essentials. There you can select Windows Live Messenger (2009) to be uninstalled.
Afaik, ZapMessenger will attempt a normal uninstallation of WLM first?
Yes it does..., but again, people should learn that there is a normal, official, logic way of doing things instead of relying on 3rd party programs and in the end completely forgetting (or even not knowing) there is such a thing like Add/Remove Programs.

Clearest example: uninstalling Plus!' sponsor, where many people use 3rd party anti-whatever programs which actually do more damage than doing the logic way and checking out Add/Remove programs first. (you would be actually surprised at how many types of adware programs can be removed by simply going to Add/Remove Programs instead of using stuff like HijackThis and the likes)

So instead of suggesting to use ZapMessenger right away (like I see on so many forums, and like Moh Zayadi did here), suggest the proper method first. And if that would fail, then they could attempt to use ZapMessenger.

btw: ZapMessenger will not always work either!

ZapMessenger is for those situations where the normal uninstaller doesn't work. And to be honest, I never had any problems using the normal official way, even with really messed up installer settings, half installations and what not. Sure I had to execute the uninstaller twice sometimes, or reinstall a particular version first, but in the end I never failed to roll-back, install multiple versions side-by-side, updating a previous version while using a later version, etc... Simply think about what you're want to do and follow the logic steps (eg: if you want to roll back, maybe it is a good idea to uninstall the current version first?), do what the installer says or gives as an error and it will work 99/100 times....
But maybe I'm just extremely lucky (all the time)... :p

Then you might say that not all people know how to do things. And that's very very true. But that is also my point: teach them how to do the proper things so that they learn to think for themselfs so that they can fix it on their own the next time they encounter something similar, otherwise they simply keep on being 'unknowningly' (or whatever you wanna call it)...

Same with using System Restore. So many times you see people suggesting to do a System Restore instead of simply uninstalling the program (or reinstalling it again if the first removal failed because of a bad installation).

;)

This post was edited on 03-26-2009 at 06:46 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-26-2009 06:33 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Moh

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: I want to go back to the previous version (8.5)
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Moh Zayadi
quote:
Originally posted by avidvd
quote:
((Any) way Avidvd , uninstall all of it.  ))
How can I do this?
You can use ZapMessenger for that. :)
You do not need ZapMessenger to simply uninstall Messenger!!

Go to Add/Remove Programs and run Windows Live Essentials. There you can select Windows Live Messenger (2009) to be uninstalled.
Afaik, ZapMessenger will attempt a normal uninstallation of WLM first?
Yes it does..., but again, people should learn that there is a normal, official, logic way of doing things instead of relying on 3rd party programs and in the end completely forgetting (or even not knowing) there is such a thing like Add/Remove Programs.

Clearest example: uninstalling Plus!' sponsor, where many people use 3rd party anti-whatever programs which actually do more damage than doing the logic way and checking out Add/Remove programs first. (you would be actually surprised at how many types of adware programs can be removed by simply going to Add/Remove Programs instead of using stuff like HijackThis and the likes)

So instead of suggesting to use ZapMessenger right away (like I see on so many forums, and like Moh Zayadi did here), suggest the proper method first. And if that would fail, then they could attempt to use ZapMessenger.

btw: ZapMessenger will not always work either!

ZapMessenger is for those situations where the normal uninstaller doesn't work. And to be honest, I never had any problems using the normal official way, even with really messed up installer settings, half installations and what not. Sure I had to execute the uninstaller twice sometimes, or reinstall a particular version first, but in the end I never failed to roll-back, install multiple versions side-by-side, updating a previous version while using a later version, etc... Simply think about what you're want to do and follow the logic steps (eg: if you want to roll back, maybe it is a good idea to uninstall the current version first?), do what the installer says or gives as an error and it will work 99/100 times....
But maybe I'm just extremely lucky (all the time)... :p

Then you might say that not all people know how to do things. And that's very very true. But that is also my point: teach them how to do the proper things so that they learn to think for themselfs so that they can fix it on their own the next time they encounter something similar, otherwise they simply keep on being 'unknowningly' (or whatever you wanna call it)...

Same with using System Restore. So many times you see people suggesting to do a System Restore instead of simply uninstalling the program (or reinstalling it again if the first removal failed because of a bad installation).

;)
Agreed, I should have introduced the normal way first. But, I thought that uninstalling it normally would still leave some traces not making the older version work "which seems to be wrong as you have cleared out and said that you had no problems downgrading to 8.5 so, thanks. ;)".
03-26-2009 08:50 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: I want to go back to the previous version (8.5)
quote:
Originally posted by nimicitor
This article might help:
http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2009/03/27/do...ssenger/#more-4084
There are a lot of inaccuraties and even wrong info in that article. So not for the newb whom doesn't reconize those inaccuraties and wrong stuff.

It also (again) suggests to use ZapMessenger while there is no real need for it. It suggests to download from OldVersion.com which has mostly depricted beta versions, while all the older versions in all the languages are still available on the official Microsoft Download Center.

And the 'trick' it explains to workaround possible updates will brake proper protocol workings and makes developping future protocol stuff harder.

Not a realy good article I would recomend reading (if you're a 'newb' that is).

This post was edited on 03-27-2009 at 07:22 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-27-2009 07:17 PM
CJ2

RE: RE: I want to go back to the previous version (8.5)
quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp
quote:
Originally posted by m0406
quote:
Originally posted by robert_dll
You will be forced to update anyway, I don't know why many people doesn't like WLM 2009, there are some changes that I didn't like, but yeah, you get used to them.

I have not updated as of yet.Please can you explain what people do not like about it?

basically, people don't like change

they get used to something......and then moan when something new comes along that's slightly different......then in a couple of year's time they moan when something else new comes along because they want to stick with the thing they were moaning
about before

not entirely true... i hate WLM 2009 because it totally f***** up my sign in assistant and  rendered  it useless . In fact  it removed my desktop shortcut and link in the start menu WLM folder ! Also unlike 8.5 when you quit out of hotmail the stupid WLM icon stays in the sytem tray instead of closing. Its  just crap compared to 8.5 . Nothing to do with change. ;)

This post was edited on 03-30-2009 at 12:10 AM by CJ2.
03-30-2009 12:08 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (3): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: