What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Hardware issues

Hardware issues
Author: Message:
MeEtc
Patchou's look-alike

In the Shadow Gallery once again

38 / Male / Flag
O.P. Hardware issues
My local server machine is having some issues. It is almost 5 years old now, so I'm not terribly surprised its dying. On Tuesday night, I rebooted it, and it decided to not come back online. The power and HDD LED's light up (and the HDD turns off after a minute or so), and does not POST, no display on screen. I tried removing components, to see if something had failed, but no change. Went to the shop the next day and bought a new PSU to see if perhaps that was the cause. It was not. One difference with the new PSU is that the power light on the front of the case does not light with it. The old one also has a high pitched whine noise to it whenever it has power to it.

After some experimenting between combinations of components and PSU's, I finally managed to get the system to boot, and only does so randomly, maybe 10% of the time. It needs to have monitor, LAN and KB plugged in, and the psu needs to be switched on but not powered on for a few minutes before attempting to start the pc.

Anybody know possibly whats going on? Yes I know its possible hardware failure, but I mean more specifically.
[Image: signature/]     [Image: sharing.png]
I cannot hear you. There is a banana in my ear.
04-10-2009 05:25 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
ipab
Veteran Member

Design Evolved

34 / Male / Flag
RE: Hardware issues
If it doesn't POST, then more than likely it's a mobo issue. You say that it turns on temperamentally, which really could mean it's basically on it's way to dying.
56656E692C 20566964692C 2056696369
04-10-2009 05:43 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc
The old one also has a high pitched whine noise to it whenever it has power to it.
Sounds like a dying capacitor.

quote:
One difference with the new PSU is that the power light on the front of the case does not light with it.
Sure you connected all the cables? It also easy to stick the little LED connectors in backwards.

quote:
I finally managed to get the system to boot, and only does so randomly, maybe 10% of the time. It needs to have monitor, LAN and KB plugged in, and the psu needs to be switched on but not powered on for a few minutes before attempting to start the
So it starts with the new PSU, but not all the time? Then the PSU isn't the only problem. Sounds like some type of heating problem. Doesn't have to be the classic CPU overheating though, could also be another component on the motherboard wearing out as it warms up.

If you have enough spare parts you can try to isolate the problem.. Just unplugging all the cables on the motherboard and placing it all back making sure it it properly connected can do wonders too. Fixed my uncle's PC yesterday by doing exactly that :p. Although his would never POST which makes it a lot easier to troubleshoot.

This post was edited on 04-10-2009 at 05:56 PM by Menthix.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
04-10-2009 05:49 PM
MeEtc
Patchou's look-alike

38 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Hardware issues
quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
Sure you connected all the cables? It also easy to stick the little LED connectors in backwards.
No, didn't touch the connectors for the LED
quote:
So it starts with the new PSU, but not all the time?
No, it only starts with the old PSU.
quote:
another component on the motherboard wearing out as it warms up.
Possibly. But as I said, it requires the PC to be connected to power, but OFF in order to boot.

Also when it did boot it now gives a new error for "FDC Error. Press F1 to continue" and can boot normally. The floppy drive isn't connected right now either, which might be the source of that problem.

At any rate, its powered on now, but I'm afraid to reboot it again. :p

This post was edited on 04-10-2009 at 05:58 PM by MeEtc.
04-10-2009 05:55 PM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
But as I said, it requires the PC to be connected to power, but OFF in order to boot.
Oh I see. So it's the other way around, a component (probably inside the PSU) starts working properly only after it warms up.

I would consider the old PSU death and figure out why the new one isn't working. New PSUs and 5 year old motherboards might not play along well. Does it have all the same connectors, how many watts, if there is a switch on the new PSU itself is that set to on (lol)?
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
04-10-2009 06:09 PM
ipab
Veteran Member

Design Evolved

34 / Male / Flag
quote:
I would consider the old PSU death and figure out why the new one isn't working. New PSUs and 5 year old motherboards might not play along well. Does it have all the same connectors, how many watts, if there is a switch on the new PSU itself is that set to on (lol)?

Like Menthix said, make sure all your connections are made properly, there are two connections you have to make when you replace a PSU (assuming that you are using a P4 compatible mobo).

[Image: p_mps3atx25_2.jpg]

Just to give you an idea of the connectors involved.

Posting a pic of your new PSU would help also (or some link that has an image/specs).

This post was edited on 04-10-2009 at 06:54 PM by ipab.
56656E692C 20566964692C 2056696369
04-10-2009 06:52 PM
MeEtc
Patchou's look-alike

38 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Hardware issues
Yes, I'm well aware of all the connections that need to be made, and they have been made.
BTW, its a AMD Athlon Mobo.

Anyone feel like chiping in some money? (A)
https://www.robotnik.com/product.php?productid=692
https://www.robotnik.com/product.php?productid=43

This post was edited on 04-10-2009 at 06:57 PM by MeEtc.
04-10-2009 06:55 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: