What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Installing a modem

Installing a modem
Author: Message:
vincerooney

O.P. Installing a modem

Hi all,

Just had to wipe my computer after being owned like a n00b with a virus. As i was installing windows xp on again it told me to plug my modem in etc. Usually it finds the modem fine and installs it for me to use straight away.

However this time it came up with an error message saying it couldnt connect. My modem is a usb connected (yeah i know its irritating)

I've tried to make a connection using the windows wizard with no luck. I've lost the installation cd so i tried googling the drivers for mototola surfboard 5100 cable modem and downloaded something but have no idea whether it works since the file just has a security catalog or a remove button so havent done anything with it.

I've connected to the internet via my wireless router (so my internet is working) and i've connected my portable hard drive (so it isnt my usb not working)

Any ideas how to get the usb modem working? im willing to try anything! any help would be appreciated
04-11-2009 11:45 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
ipab
Veteran Member

Design Evolved

34 / Male / Flag
RE: Installing a modem
You can connect that modem via an RJ45 connection also. I have that exact same modem.

Connect it directly to the computer via the RJ45 connection and then open up command prompt (Run -> then type in cmd). Then type in "ipconfig /release" then after it is done you should see a bunch of zeroes. Then type in "ipconfig /renew".

That should renew your ip address.
56656E692C 20566964692C 2056696369
04-11-2009 04:24 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: