What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » "Save Steve's Place" Petition

"Save Steve's Place" Petition
Author: Message:
davidpolitis

O.P. "Save Steve's Place" Petition
quote:
The Steve Irwin Wildlife Reserve (SIWR) is a wetland conservation property and a tribute to Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin. The 135,000 ha property, in Queensland’s Cape York Peninsula, is home to a set of three important spring fed wetlands which provide a critical water source to threatened habitat, provide permanent flow of water to the Wenlock River, and is home to rare and vulnerable plants and wildlife.

The Steve Irwin Wildlife Reserve (SIWR) was acquired as part of the National Reserve System Programme for the purpose of nature conservation with the assistance of the Australian Government.

The Situation:
The Steve Irwin Wildlife Reserve (SIWR) is being threatened by strip mining. Cape Alumina Pty Ltd has lodged mining lease applications which include approximately 12,300 ha of the Reserve. Cape Alumina company documents indicate an intention to mine 50 plus million tons over a 10 year period commencing 2010. The greater part of this mine is on SIWR

The proposed area for mining on the Steve Irwin Wildlife Reserve contains the head waters of irreplaceable waterways and unique biodiversity which will not recover after mining operations are finished.

Sign Petition

This post was edited on 04-20-2009 at 02:58 PM by davidpolitis.
04-20-2009 02:48 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Discrate
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: "Save Steve's Place" Petition
signed.
04-20-2009 03:16 PM
Eddie
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
Everywhere has unique biodiversity. However, signed. But to be honest it does not really bother me, 12,500 out of a possible 135,000 isnt bad. Suppose i'm not much of a nature lover sorry.

This post was edited on 04-20-2009 at 03:23 PM by Eddie.
...there used to be a signature here :)
04-20-2009 03:23 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Discrate
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
It's pretty funny how the government is letting everyone mine everywhere, and then 20 years down the track when there is no where to mine, we will be fucked. plus alot of environment will be destroyed.

Another company is going to start mining on an important part of Australia's "food bowl". I bet there wont be a petition to save that.
04-20-2009 03:33 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: