What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » I can't sign into Windows Live Messenger

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
I can't sign into Windows Live Messenger
Author: Message:
hallhey93

O.P. I can't sign into Windows Live Messenger
Its been a full week since I encountered having trouble signing into Windows Live Messenger.

I believe I have the most recent version of MSN, and I had been using for about a couple of months. No problems with it up until now.

When i try to sign in, everything seems to go as plan (the little msn guys spinning around in circles) until I get a noticed with following statement:

We can't sign you into Windows Live Messenger
        Signing in to Windows Live Messenger failed because the service is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later.

When I click the drop down in "Show details" it states the following:
        Error code: 8007000e

At first, I thought it was just low internet connection that disallowed me to sign in.

But it had been a week now, and am starting to get suspicious.

I just discovered recently that my brother and sister were able to sign in with their accounts on my computer. This tells me that Windows Live Messenger is working fine and the there is nothing wrong with the internet connection. WLM just won't let me sign in to my own account.

I had thoughts about removing "Windows Live Essentials" of my computer and re-install the program. But, I didn't want to do it until I get some sorta of "professional" help first. 

I appreciate any help.
Thanks (H)

(I have attached the notice along with this thread)
04-20-2009 09:46 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Blah.Kid

31 / Male / Flag
RE: I can't sign into Windows Live Messenger
Completely uninstall Messenger. Make sure there are no remnant files or folders.

Then go to Start, Run and type in %temp% and then OK. (Not sure if that shortcut works on 2000, but it should. If not, manually go to your temp folder)

Delete everything in the folder, then reinstall Messenger.

If for some reason it won't let you delete some files, do so in Safe Mode, or failing that, use something like MoveOnBoot or Pocket KillBox.
[Image: sig2take3.gif]
04-20-2009 10:00 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
hallhey93

O.P. RE: I can't sign into Windows Live Messenger
What do you mean by completely uninstalling Messenger? How do I do so? I hope you don't mind me asking for step by step details. (I'm not even sure what the "Run" program actually does) :$

This is what I have done to try to fix the problem:
1. Located the "Messenger" file under "Windows Live Essentials"
2. Attempted to delete the entire "Messenger" folder
3. Clicked "OK" for the administrative permission (This is where i feel a little uneasy)

Notice explains to me the folder cannot be deleted, and tells me several times that by deleting this folder may affect other programs.

I have no idea what you mean by "Safe Mode" and MoveOnBoot and Pocket KillBox sound like weapons of torture to me.

It would be so awesome if you can hold me by the hand and take me step by step, sorta like a mommy. (Hope that term isn't too offensive)

Thanks a bunch!

P.S Just so you know, I am currently using Windows Vista, if that affects anything.
04-21-2009 01:37 AM
Blah.Kid

31 / Male / Flag
Ok, TO uninstall Windows Live Messenger (WLM):

1. In the notification area of the taskbar, click the Messenger icon, and then click Exit. *Only if WLM is running*
2. On the taskbar, click Start, and then click Control Panel.
3. Under Programs, click Uninstall a program.
4. Double-click Windows Live Messenger.
5. Click Yes.

To install WLM:

1. Download from here.
2. Follow the on screen instructions and when it asks you which programs you wish to install only have the check box beside Windows Live Messenger checked.
3. If it asks to restart your computer do so.
4. Sign in.

If the problem is still happening, tell me and i will instruct you on the next thing you can try.

[EDIT] You could also try this

Hope that helps :D

This post was edited on 04-21-2009 at 02:15 AM by Blah.Kid.
04-21-2009 01:51 AM
hallhey93

I am loving these step by step details, mommy ;)

Ok... anyways. I am to the part where I am in the Uninstall a Program window and like you told me, double-click WLM to uninstall it.

Here's the problem: I don't see WLM as an individual program here. I think this is the main reason why I can't uninstall WLM in the first place. However, there is Windows Live Essentials which I can uninstall, and some other Windows Live Programs (See attached file). Do you think any of these programs relate to WLM?

Oh my god... I love you mommy

I'm finally able to sign back in to my account! The link you posted on troubleshooting helped me solve the problem. Apparently deleting some certain contents and folders and such did the trick. I have no idea what happened, but now that I am back in WLM, it doesn't matter. It turns out I didn't need to uninstall in reinstall to fix the problem.

Anyways, I just want to thank you for all that you have done. You are so helpful.

Is there any way I can repay you?
04-21-2009 02:26 AM
Blah.Kid

31 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: I can't sign into Windows Live Messenger
quote:
Originally posted by hallhey93
Oh my god... I love you mommy

I'm finally able to sign back in to my account! The link you posted on troubleshooting helped me solve the problem. Apparently deleting some certain contents and folders and such did the trick. I have no idea what happened, but now that I am back in WLM, it doesn't matter. It turns out I didn't need to uninstall in reinstall to fix the problem.

Anyways, I just want to thank you for all that you have done. You are so helpful.

Is there any way I can repay you?

Haha awesome!! (H) glad its working again.

Theres no need to repay me! im just here to help out.!! :D

Again glad its fixed and hope you have no ther problems.
04-21-2009 11:55 AM
reisan

I am now having this exact same problem...i have also completely deleted the Windows Live essentials from my computer three times now, and reinstalled them, but nothing seems to work.

Any further sugesstions?
05-27-2009 04:21 AM
reisan

nvm, I contacted the Windows Live Technical Support and they gave me the steps to fix the problem, which wasn't deleting it (since that didnt work for me) but I ended up having to empty a data folder that got corrupted somehow...I would post the steps for anyone who needs it in the future, but I'm waiting for the permission to do so first.

05-27-2009 05:19 PM
hallhey93

Heyy reisan,

What did it for me was deleting the Messenger Contacts Cache folder.

http://messenger-support.spaces.live.com/default....d2009&sa=995514156

Click on this link, and there's a step by step guide to help fix the problem.

Hope this helps!;)

Msg back if there are and other problems.

05-27-2009 05:23 PM
fairuz

Hello. Please help. I have Windows XP and I cant uninstall my windows live messenger. I have tried for a month now =( It started with it having error codes for quite some time so I decided to uninstall it.  These are the things I tried to remove messenger:

1. I went to Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel, well I saw Windows Live Essential in the list but when i click it to remove, nothing happened.

2. So I stupidly rashly >.< went to Start and deleted Windows Live folder. Tried installing again..it said I still have all the windows live services.

3. So I tried using Zap Messenger and it goes running and running and kept on running for hours and hours..ages.. (By this point, messenger doesnt pop up anymore when i decided to close the zap which was STILL running and restart my computer. I thought its been uninstalled. So to confirm it, I typed msnmsgr at Run and clicked Enter and out came an error box saying Windows cannot find "msnmsgr". Make sure you typed the name correctly...) So I thought it's uninstalled and how happy was I! Tried installing windows live messenger again but it said I have ALL OF THE SERVICES INSTALLED! But where are they now? Cant open! ='(

3. I browsed internet and found this website. http://www.winforumz.com/windows/Beta-windows-liv...ftopict662881.html and it said can be uninstalled manually by typing msiexec /x {B1403D7D-C725-4858-AACC-7E5FA2D72859} at Run. I pressed Enter but it said I need to install windows live first for it to uninstall. Huh??! But when I tried installing at http://download.live.com/messenger, it said I have ALL THE SERVICES INSTALLED! Waaaaaa I feel like crying now! =(

4. Went to Add/Remove Programs again. Clicked Add/Remove Windows Component. I unchecked Windows Messenger and clicked next. After it finishes...nothing happened. Tried installing, again...it said ALL WINDOWS LIVE SERVICES ARE INSTALLED.

5. Went to Regedit and disabled messenger but still..no luck.

6. Decided to manually remove windows live folder (since I still see the folder in Local Disk C) but its write protected. So I stupidly deleted one by one the components inside the folder. Well some of them are protected but some could be removed. So yea, I did that.

7. Went to Add/Remove Programs again and saw Windows Live Essential still in list. Clicked on it again to remove it and heeeey it did! It said that urmm cant remember but something like its corrupted or some files are gone or something. Not sure what it said. And I thought its removed for good! So I tried installing...but... -.- it said i still have all the services installed!

8. Searched for websites that have ways to uninstall windows live messenger 2009 but still no luck..until now still...sigh...

I hope anyone please..anyone help me!! I love messenger and all I ever wanted was to make it run again so thats why I thought by uninstalling, it would refresh the services and it would be normal again but now its all a mess! All the services (including Live Safety, Hotmail etc etc) are installed (so it says..although I have removed them..well thats what I believed I did) and I now cant install OR uninstall messenger. And theres also no folder of windows live messenger and neither can I find msnmsgr at Run. Im stucked with all these mess...its all up in the air! Pleeeease help.. I would appreciate it alot. =(

This post was edited on 06-14-2009 at 10:09 AM by fairuz.
06-14-2009 10:02 AM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: