What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Help son being accused

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Help son being accused
Author: Message:
gemski

O.P. Help son being accused
Hi my son has been accused of putting unpleasant things on MSG plus by one of my friends.She says she saw it I have checked his log with his permission and looked at the conversation and can not find anything nasty.Her computer has not logged the chat.She says he has deleted part of the conversation which he says can not be done.Is it possible to delete part of a chat once it has been sent on MSG plus and could some one of changed their profile to his name to make it seem that he has sent these comments ?Any help would be much appreciated
04-28-2009 06:38 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Spunky
Former Super Mod

35 / Male / Flag
RE: Help son being accused
A few possibilities:

1) He deleted a part of the chat log (Very possible to do)

2) He has entered his email and password into a website that supposedly checks if people have blocked you on WLM (These don't work at all and they commonly use your details to log in and send messages to your contacts, and a lot of the time they have adult themes to them or try to get your contacts to do the same as you did)

3) It is very possible someone on his contact list copied his display name and other details to fool this girl into thinking it was him. (This is possible at all times by anybody, although there are scripts out there that do this [the only thing that may appear different is the emails address])

4) He didn't do anything and she is actually lying.

This post was edited on 04-28-2009 at 10:56 AM by Spunky.
<Eljay> "Problems encountered: shit blew up" :zippy:
04-28-2009 07:33 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Discrate
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
5) Leave him alone, it's none of your business or your friends what he says to anyone. You sound like one of those intrusive parents who doesnt give there kids any privacy and just checks up on them 24/7

I said this on the irc, you should listen to it.
04-28-2009 09:26 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Discrate, if he would check upon him 24/7 he would know if his son did or didn't do it and wouldn't ask the question. Second, he asked the permission of his son to view the chat logs. I think there is nothing wrong with parents supervising their children on the net, on the contrary, every parent should learn their children how to use the net, the dangers, the pleasure, etc... instead of simply being ignorant and/or looking away. And that can only be done if you actually participate with your children using the net and talk to them. So don't accuse a parent for invading their childrens internet privacy when they simply come here to ask for advise.

This post was edited on 04-28-2009 at 10:40 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
04-28-2009 10:39 AM
gemski

O.P. RE: Help son being accused
Thanks for your help I did not want to get involved but my friend who i work with complained to me.How can you delete part of the chat log we have tried numerous things and can not delete it.Any help would be greatly appreciated
04-28-2009 11:19 AM
Discrate
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Help son being accused
quote:
Originally posted by gemski
Thanks for your help I did not want to get involved but my friend who i work with complained to me.How can you delete part of the chat log we have tried numerous things and can not delete it.Any help would be greatly appreciated

Lol this is pretty funny. Your friend complained about your son saying something unpleasant to one of his friends and you didnt want to get involved? wow this wow.

Why is your friend even watching your son on the computer typing to people? invading his privacy.

If i was you i wouldnt be worried about your son saying unpleasant things, i would be worried about your friend watching your son.

This post was edited on 04-28-2009 at 11:28 AM by Discrate.
04-28-2009 11:26 AM
gemski

My son was typing to her daughter and he supposedly said something about my friend who was watching her daughters computer but her computer has not got the chat log saved.this makes life very difficult as I work only with her.
04-28-2009 11:42 AM
foaly

38 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by gemski
How can you delete part of the chat log we have tried numerous things and can not delete it.

Go to the folder where the chatlogs are saved...
(something like:  c:\users\thisuser\documents\my chatlogs )
right click the log you want to edit en choose edit...
It's xml, it helps if you understand how that works when editting your log..
04-28-2009 11:45 AM
gemski

Thanks will try it also is there any way I can check if part of a chat log has been deleted ?
04-28-2009 11:49 AM
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
Firstly lets clarify some things:

Messenger Plus! is an addon to Windows Live Messenger. Messenger Plus! only logs the conversation; the conversation is not sent through Messenger Plus!.

If you have Vista there is a feature called Shadow Copy. This creates a backup of the file so that you can rollback changes. This will only work if System Restore is enabled. To get here you need to right click the file and click Properties then the Previous Versions tab.
[Image: attachment.php?pid=961300]

Other than that there isn't really a way of telling if the file has been altered because Messenger Plus! logs the conversation in real time. Therefore the last modified date is going to be constantly changing.

Simply put if she has no way to prove it than she has no case. I say believe your son. He openly let you read his chat logs. Also if these files are encrypted by Messenger Plus! (meaning you need a password to view them) they cannot be altered. Any manual change can render the file unreadable.

.png File Attachment: shadow_copy.png (54.15 KB)
This file has been downloaded 259 time(s).

This post was edited on 04-28-2009 at 01:17 PM by matty.
04-28-2009 01:14 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: