What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » [Suggestion] From another addon ...

[Suggestion] From another addon ...
Author: Message:
Alex131089

– / – / Flag
O.P. [Suggestion] From another addon ...
Hello,

I have some suggestions to propose to allow me switching to WML9 (not supported by the dead stuffplug) ; mainly (by order) :
-conversation nick
-send messages to blocked contacts
-make some DEL blink on fullscreen received message (I know there is a script doing it but don't know if it work)
-disable transfert limit
-5000(+) chars by message
-content stealer
-action text / false invitation
-default emoticon replacement

And some other cool features :
-contact adding by the search box
-group block
-edit nick by clicking on

I know that many of theses features will be ignored .. but I expect an answer (with the reason ?) at least :)

Thank in advance (H)
05-25-2009 07:46 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
blessedguy
Skinning Contest Winner

31 / Male / Flag
RE: [Suggestion] From another addon ...
I won't make a quote box to each one, sooo,
-conversation nick >> And I thought you could do that without any add-on (Right click > add nickname)

-send messages to blocked contacts >> they still won't be able to reply, and that'd be used for spamming. (Since the spammer wouldn't be replied)

-make some DEL blink on fullscreen received message (I know there is a script doing it but don't know if it work) >> didn't get it.... And if there's a script that does that, why to add in the main program?

-disable transfert limit >> posible with scripts I guess. (Cookie may have the answear, I guess =P)

-5000(+) chars by message >> I can't handle all that. Currently, there's a limit, and when that's exceeded, everything is sent as a plain .txt file.

-content stealer >> scripts

-action text / false invitation >> scripts

-default emoticon replacement >> skins

-contact adding by the search box >> It'd be nice =P, would be possible if commands were allowed in the search bar, then some other nicey things would work too.

-group block >> I think there's a script that does that... Anyways, it is possible.

-edit nick by clicking on >> Possible?

quote:
Originally posted by Alex131089
I know that many of theses features will be ignored .. but I expect an answer (with the reason ?) at least :)
There you've got, answears for all them =)
Anyways, Patchou doesn't like copying features from other add-ons, so taking the title in consideration.....
[Image: Empty.png]
05-25-2009 08:32 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: [Suggestion] From another addon ...
For convenience I'm going to quote blessedguy to give some more comments about the points.

quote:
Originally posted by blessedguy
I won't make a quote box to each one, sooo,
-conversation nick >> And I thought you could do that without any add-on (Right click > add nickname)
"Right click > add nickname" is not what he meant.
He means the ability to have another nick when you actually chat to someone than what your contacts would see in the main contact list (which is your screenname).
Messenger's nickname feature for contacts has got nothing todo with this.

quote:
-send messages to blocked contacts >> they still won't be able to reply, and that'd be used for spamming. (Since the spammer wouldn't be replied)
I fully agree. Although it might seem handy, it would probably be abused by some people too. In fact, now that I think about it, why would you block someone if you also want to talk to them? The only reason seems to be indeed spamming or annoying the contact.

quote:
-make some DEL blink on fullscreen received message (I know there is a script doing it but don't know if it work) >> didn't get it.... And if there's a script that does that, why to add in the main program?
I think he means blinking one of the status LEDs (numlock, shift, scroll) when you recieve a message when the conversation is hidden (because of a fullscreen application). This is easy for a script todo. And there are indeed already some scripts which can do this.

quote:
-disable transfert limit >> posible with scripts I guess. (Cookie may have the answear, I guess =P)
If he means the limit of sending a maximum of 5 files at the same time then it probably involves 'basic' patching. Which means it can be done with scripts too.

quote:

-5000(+) chars by message >> I can't handle all that. Currently, there's a limit, and when that's exceeded, everything is sent as a plain .txt file.
Correct. There is also a lot of stuff written about this request in the past. Patchou has explained a few times before that increasing the limit even more might result in loss of text in some cases, hence the current limit in Plus!.

quote:
-content stealer >> scripts
indeed scripts.
But you even don't need script for that. You can 'steal' all the stuff without any additional tools since everything is already on your computer to begin with. Again explained several times before. (Of course it is convenient if you have some nice UI, but if you know where the content is you don't need any fancy UI)

quote:
-action text / false invitation >> scripts
I think you misunderstand this one. 'Action text/false invitation' is not the stuff what the /me command will do in Plus!. A false invitation can't be done directly with a basic script unless you have access to the protocol (meaning you need a proxy). It is not impossible, but is is very hard to do (and to make it work 100% of the time for all people).

quote:
-default emoticon replacement >> skins
indeed.
Or he might mean the ability to send custom emoticons when you use standard shortcuts. In that case this can't be done with skins.

quote:
-contact adding by the search box >> It'd be nice =P, would be possible if commands were allowed in the search bar, then some other nicey things would work too.
I so agree with that. It is also a _very_ longtime feature request for Plus!.

quote:
-group block >> I think there's a script that does that... Anyways, it is possible.
Not completely possible with scripts though since they do not have access to group features. There are some crappy workarounds and other halve working things, but to make it properly you first need access to the Messenger object (to know which contacts are in the group). And according to Patchou the group object has serious flaws. Hence why the group block was removed a long time ago from Plus!. Second, if you want to implement it in the proper way you need to have access to the contact list window so you can add it to the right click menu for groups. Again something which is not possible with scripts.

quote:
He means editing your screenname by clicking on it in the "me" area in the main contact list. With scripts this is not possible. Maybe it is with skins I dunno. But it might be perfectly possible for Plus! though.
(although you will loose the one click drop down menu in all those cases; of course there are other ways to have both)

quote:
Anyways, Patchou doesn't like copying features from other add-ons, so taking the title in consideration.....
Not only that, but some stuff StuffPlug does is considered 'unsafe' (for the lack of a better word) by Patchou. Other stuff can be done by Plus! but doesn't exactly fit in its 'policy' (again for the lack of a better word). Also, Patchou tries to avoid stuff involving pure patching as this will actually increase the chance of side effects and incompatibilities. He also tries to avoid messing with the protocol messages. And last, it is not because something is possible, that it is a good thing to implement (sometimes you must protect the user from himself, or protect the contacts which might get abused by some feature). Patchou has a stricter policy in those things than TB.

;)

This post was edited on 05-25-2009 at 09:25 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
05-25-2009 09:19 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
blessedguy
Skinning Contest Winner

31 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
quote:
Not completely possible with scripts though since they do not have access to group features. There are some crappy workarounds and other halve working things, but to make it properly you first need access to the Messenger object (to know which contacts are in the group). And according to Patchou the group object has serious flaws. Hence why the group block was removed a long time ago from Plus!. Second, if you want to implement it in the proper way you need to have access to the contact list window so you can add it to the right click menu for groups. Again something which is not possible with scripts.
I didn't really mean the contact list's groups, but something similar to what Mnjul has done with Hopper, wich will block and unblock selected contacts to send them some pop-ups.

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
quote:

He means editing your screenname by clicking on it in the "me" area in the main contact list. With scripts this is not possible. Maybe it is with skins I dunno. But it might be perfectly possible for Plus! though.
(although you will loose the one click drop down menu in all those cases; of course there are other ways to have both)
Yeah, I knew that =P But it doesn't look like it's possible with skins, the max we've got to was to make a shortcut wich would lead to that Personal part of the preferences window, since there's a CmdId for it. Although it is possible to change the line limit from the PSM... so I still have a little hope about that.
[Image: Empty.png]
05-25-2009 09:50 PM
Alex131089

– / – / Flag
O.P. RE: [Suggestion] From another addon ...
Seems you have translated good all my think :bananaxmas:
-blocked contacts : yep ok, I just listed it because I saw it in the StuffPlug options ; but it's always cool to joke with a friend ;)
-Transfert limit : and no existing script ? :(
-5000 chars : ok ; btw I personally don't like the .txt file ; send chunked messages instead ? (part1, part2, part3)
-Actions/Invitations : same as blocked contacts
-group block : same(-joke +may be useful)
-content stealer : i'll take a look for scripts
-convo nick : what about it ?

Edit : "Anyways, Patchou doesn't like copying features from other add-on" : stuffplug will probably have no newer version, so .. (version for 8.5 was chance IMO)

This post was edited on 05-26-2009 at 12:58 AM by Alex131089.
05-25-2009 10:35 PM
foaly

38 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Alex131089

-Transfert limit : and no existing script ? :(
-convo nick : what about it ?

Messenger Discovery has these... so if you really want them you can check that out...
05-26-2009 11:15 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Alex131089

– / – / Flag
O.P. RE: [Suggestion] From another addon ...
I'll look at it, thank =)
05-27-2009 05:39 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: