What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » How can I downgrade from MSN Messenger 9.0?

How can I downgrade from MSN Messenger 9.0?
Author: Message:
cubs2084

O.P. How can I downgrade from MSN Messenger 9.0?
I'd been using 8.5 for a long time. Yesterday MSN popped up with the 'we have a new version of MSN available. So I upgraded to 9.0. But I took an immediate dislike to it; the color scheme is awful and there's just too much useless extra junk. So I uninstall it, get the 8.5 install from oldversion.com, and get 8.5 up and running again. But what happens when I try to sign in? A message of "A newer version is available. You must install the newer version to continue. Would you like to do this now?" Chosing no doesn't tell them to bug off and let me sign in....no, since I upgraded the once Microsoft is FORCING me to stick with 9.0. This is absurd and has me quite peeved. I thought maybe it was just because 8.5 was a beta version, but installing 8.0 gave me the same thing.

Is there any way to get around this? Like some system file I can mess with to erase evidence that I ever had 9.0 on here or something?

This post was edited on 03-14-2009 at 04:28 PM by cubs2084.
03-14-2009 04:17 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
knilsilooc

RE: How can I downgrade from MSN Messenger 9.0?
I'd like to know this as well. Not only are the things listed above true, but this version of MSN doesn't have Mess Patch developed for it yet.
03-14-2009 04:24 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
cubs2084

O.P. RE: How can I downgrade from MSN Messenger 9.0?
Success! I deleted the remaining program files/windows live/messenger folder remaining from the previous uninstall. Installed 8.5, still got the forced upgrade message. But changing the compatibility mode of msnmsgr.exe to Windows 2000, then double-clicking it to re-install the messenger, this did the trick.
03-14-2009 04:49 PM
jawandha

how do i do that?
03-25-2009 02:10 AM
Moh

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: How can I downgrade from MSN Messenger 9.0?
quote:
Originally posted by jawandha
how do i do that?
Go to C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger, right click on msnmsngr and then click Properties. Now, click on Compatbility at the top of the Properties box and tick "Run this program in compatibilty mode for: and choose "Windows 2000".
03-25-2009 07:45 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
shaboogamoo

that didnt work for me.. is there anything else i can do? well it got messenger to work but it got rid of messenger plus :( how do i fix that??

This post was edited on 06-25-2009 at 03:49 PM by shaboogamoo.
06-25-2009 03:42 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: