What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » Design help please peeps :)

Design help please peeps :)
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Design help please peeps :)
If I may give a few pointers, speaking from experience (we need to make promotion every couple of months do reach a couple of thousand of people to promote theater plays and other activities regarding theater in a professional way):

You now already how the eye candy (with the logo and stuff), what you need now is nothing too fancy at all, a simple plain white-ish font. eg: Arial or the likes is more than good enough... Don't use black text on a white boxed background! Not with that design of a dark flyer and on glossy paper. It would be harder to read than white text on the already existing black background,

A flyer mostly needs to be readable and to-the-point. Nobody is going to read a flyer with a lot of text or a hard to read font. A flyer can of course be a piece of art, but the most important thing is the actual information on it.

---

Dunno what your business-plan is, but do actually have the money to make let's say 500 of such high quality flyers in full-color on thick glossy paper?

It may be far more sensible to make a flyer with less colors (eg: 3 colors; you could mix colors -the actual dots- if you make raster images instead) and less quality of paper (thinner, not glossy), but in a bigger quantity so you can actually reach more people for the same amount of money.

I dunno where you are going to distribute your flyers, but I can imagine it is in local stores, on the street, gas stations, on the counter, etc... For that you need hundreds of flyers as it makes little sense to simply put 5 flyers on the counter each time. You need a nice pile, like at least 20/25 per counter. So, if you want to distribute them in a couple of stores and then also on the street you'll need a lot of flyers. Meaning it will cost a lot if you have them all in such a high quality.

Remember that from the 20 flyers you distribute, only maybe 1 is actually read and 'used'. On the street this ratio is even far more lower.

So, making a big quantity of low quality flyers makes more sense. And with the money you safe from that (compared to high quality flyers), you could make some high quality posters to hang in stores and maybe a billboard or five to put in your own garden and in the garden of family and friends. Those will reach a lot more people and will get the attention of a lot more people, also from people who simply pass by...

And last but not least, I dunno how it is in the uk, but here in Belgium you can't flyer on the street just like that (it is seen as polluting in some cities). Of course it is done all over the place, but you need to be careful that the people you give a flyer to don't just throw it away on the streets. Also flyering on festivals and other events may not always be legal without having the permission of the organizers of those activities.

And it is in some countries mandatory to have the address and name of the responsible publisher on the flyer (small print), thus in this case, you.

---
quote:
Originally posted by blessedguy
quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
Also, why are you only going 10mph on your speedo, that hardly says fast service
[2]
[3]
This is indeed a very good point. There are lots of things you need to take into account when designing a logo.Just 'looking' shiny isn't enough. What does the logo actually say? Does it show what the service/company is about? Are there things which actually go against its service-plan (like the low speed - but do not overdo it either like showing max speed on the meter, be realistic. Make it like 70 or 80 for example. Also because the 70/80 is in the right upper corner, which is unconscientsly better than having an arrow pointing downwards)....

---

good luck though ;)

if there was some service like that here, carwash at your doorstep, I would surely use it as I'm a very lazy car-washer (like most people?)... actually I almost never wash my car at all, maybe once a year :D
Damn, this post is maybe one or two words longer than I anticipated :p

This post was edited on 07-22-2009 at 10:22 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
07-22-2009 10:13 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Design help please peeps :) - by Nathan on 07-22-2009 at 08:40 PM
RE: Design help please peeps :) - by blessedguy on 07-22-2009 at 08:50 PM
RE: Design help please peeps :) - by Nathan on 07-22-2009 at 08:51 PM
RE: Design help please peeps :) - by M73A on 07-22-2009 at 09:00 PM
RE: Design help please peeps :) - by Th3rmal on 07-22-2009 at 09:07 PM
RE: Design help please peeps :) - by blessedguy on 07-22-2009 at 09:07 PM
RE: Design help please peeps :) - by Th3rmal on 07-22-2009 at 09:19 PM
RE: Design help please peeps :) - by ShawnZ on 07-22-2009 at 09:24 PM
RE: Design help please peeps :) - by vaccination on 07-22-2009 at 09:33 PM
RE: Design help please peeps :) - by blessedguy on 07-22-2009 at 09:38 PM
RE: Design help please peeps :) - by vaccination on 07-22-2009 at 09:43 PM
RE: Design help please peeps :) - by Eljay on 07-22-2009 at 09:48 PM
RE: Design help please peeps :) - by vaccination on 07-22-2009 at 09:51 PM
RE: Design help please peeps :) - by CookieRevised on 07-22-2009 at 10:13 PM
RE: Design help please peeps :) - by Nathan on 07-22-2009 at 10:34 PM
RE: Design help please peeps :) - by CookieRevised on 07-22-2009 at 10:55 PM
RE: Design help please peeps :) - by Nathan on 07-22-2009 at 10:59 PM
RE: Design help please peeps :) - by Nagamasa on 07-23-2009 at 01:26 AM
RE: RE: Design help please peeps :) - by CookieRevised on 07-23-2009 at 02:53 AM
RE: Design help please peeps :) - by Volv on 07-23-2009 at 08:45 AM
RE: Design help please peeps :) - by vaccination on 07-23-2009 at 12:04 PM
RE: Design help please peeps :) - by Kenji on 07-23-2009 at 02:11 PM
RE: Design help please peeps :) - by kotjze on 07-23-2009 at 02:32 PM
RE: Design help please peeps :) - by Nathan on 07-23-2009 at 02:57 PM
RE: Design help please peeps :) - by Kenji on 07-23-2009 at 03:18 PM
RE: Design help please peeps :) - by kotjze on 07-23-2009 at 03:21 PM
RE: Design help please peeps :) - by M73A on 07-24-2009 at 10:20 PM

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites