What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » FROM PC TO MAC!???? A VIRUS that continues on without stopping!????? help!!!!

FROM PC TO MAC!???? A VIRUS that continues on without stopping!????? help!!!!
Author: Message:
hayabusa

O.P. FROM PC TO MAC!???? A VIRUS that continues on without stopping!????? help!!!!
hey guys

I contracted a virus when i went on a OLD PC of mine....

the symptoms were

1.sending crap to my msn list , links ,ect,
2.EACH TIME I LOG IN THERE'S this group of 5 o my friends that always ASK ME TO RE-ADD THEM IN A POP UP IT'S FREAKING ANNOYING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What i did so far?

switch to mac PC!!
fuck windows , fuck microsoft hehe.

then i changed all my passwords + secret questions ,

but still

im still having the : REQUESTS OF MY ALREADY ADDED FRIENDS EACH TIME I LOG IN!!!! it'S ANNOYING!!!

i get this only in msn messenger MAC , not in ADIUM ,

also some of  my friends keep telling me im always offline and my nick name doesn'T correspond to my real actual one...

HELP!!
07-24-2009 03:34 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Spunky
Former Super Mod

35 / Male / Flag
RE: FROM PC TO MAC!???? A VIRUS that continues on without stopping!????? help!!!!
Doesn't sound like a virus, sounds like a server connection problem...
<Eljay> "Problems encountered: shit blew up" :zippy:
07-24-2009 08:39 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
M73A
Veteran Member

34 / Male / Flag
RE: FROM PC TO MAC!???? A VIRUS that continues on without stopping!????? help!!!!
server problems wouldnt send crap to his contacts though. hm

[Image: lost7ru.gif]
07-24-2009 09:11 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
he is telling different things... So, better clear those up before doing guesswork....

edit: M73A also noticed it...

quote:
Originally posted by hayabusa
1.sending crap to my msn list , links ,ect,
What do you mean exactly?
Do you send links to your contacts? Or do your contacts send links to you?
In the first case, if your contacts didn't told you you send links, would you know you were sending links?

Please answer all these questions, no matter what

quote:
2.EACH TIME I LOG IN THERE'S this group of 5 o my friends that always ASK ME TO RE-ADD THEM IN A POP UP IT'S FREAKING ANNOYING!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This sounds more like a server issue at first glance and thus nothing todo with the above.

However, if the answer to the first question was "yes, I am sending links to my contacts", then the re-adding can be a result of this. More on this later...

quote:
What i did so far?

switch to mac PC!!
fuck windows , fuck microsoft hehe.

then i changed all my passwords + secret questions ,

but still

im still having the : REQUESTS OF MY ALREADY ADDED FRIENDS EACH TIME I LOG IN!!!! it'S ANNOYING!!!
This would already tell you that it has very little todo with your PC. A virus does not travel from a PC OS to a completely different Mac OS. So "fuck MS" is realy taking it too far.

quote:
also some of  my friends keep telling me im always offline and my nick name doesn'T correspond to my real actual one...
Another tell tail sign of:

Did you ever entered your credentials (Windows Live ID and password) into a 3rd party site? eg: So you could supposidly see who has blocked you, or to sign up for a new friends network? Or to see pictures of your friends?

If the answer is yes, then you most likely entered your details into a phising site. Meaning, it was fake, and were only after your login and password.

Or did you ever run a 3rd party piece of software, but it apparently didn't do much? Then I also might have been a login and password stealing tool.

And using your login and password they automatically sign in from time to time, sending your contacts links (to trick them too). They also probably clear your contactlist each time, hence the reason why you always get the add-me popups.

The first thing you need to do is to scan your PC for any virusses or trojans. However, chances are that you wont find much as such tools are usually never reconized by virusscanners.

So, you need to manualy check what programs are running in the background. You can do this by launching your Task Manager (press CTRL-ALT-DEL).

Also make sure you are running a real Windows Live Messenger version, not some fake clone or other 3rd party instant messenger.

Second thing you need to do, after you are 100% sure nothing is running in the background which is suspicious, is to change your login password and secret question. I know you said you did that already, but please do it again. And make sure the internet link starts with https://. Usually the link bar in your browser will also turn into another color (usually yellow) indicating a secure connection.

Never ever (!!!) enter your Windows Live credentials on a (sub)site which does not have the https:// in front of its address. Only legit sites will use https://. Sites which do not use that connection, even if they look very real, are not to be trusted.

-------------

So, in regards to those links: that might be the result of a phising site.
In regards to the add-me popups: that might also be a completely unrelated server issue.

This post was edited on 07-24-2009 at 11:21 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
07-24-2009 11:14 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: