What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » The fan is too loud

The fan is too loud
Author: Message:
saleh

O.P. The fan is too loud
Hi every 1 this is  my first post here and i hope to get a motivated start *_^
well, lets get into my problem :(
i've been using my labtop for 8 months, and since then, its fan is too loud. I've tried many ways to slow it down with no hope. i went to labtop sittings and unmarked the option of having the fan  "on" all the time, but nothing happened.
my hand is tired on this.

oh one more problem: my labtop is getting tooooo hot after a few munites of working , I cant even have it on my  body.
can any body help with that :(

This post was edited on 09-09-2009 at 10:08 PM by saleh.
09-09-2009 10:02 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
toddy
Veteran Member

kcus uoy

– / Male / Flag
RE: The fan is too loud
clean it
09-09-2009 10:22 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Mike
Elite Member

Meet the Spam Family!

31 / Male / Flag
Open Task Manager (Ctrl-Shift-Escape). Is the CPU Usage on the bottom constantly on 100% or 50%?
YouTube closed-captions ripper (also allows you to download videos!)
09-09-2009 10:50 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Dr4g0n

33 / Male / Flag
These are both symptoms of the same problem. The fan is on so fast and all the time because it needs to be, your laptop is overheating.

8 months is a short time for vents to get clogged, was it new before that? (You said using, not bought.) Do you use it in an environment that might clog it quicker?

Follow Mike's advice also.
09-09-2009 10:55 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Phillip

c11h15no2

34 / Male / Flag
I know here you can buy compressed air in a can at electronic shops. Just use it to blow as much dust out as possible from the vents. If it's still under warranty make them fix it.
[Image: awd.png]
Drawn into the darkness here with your eyes on the prize at stake.
Faint hearts on an endless path letting go of the ones we break.
09-11-2009 07:52 AM
absorbation
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
How many fans does your laptop have? One may be broken the other maybe running fast to compensate.

I hated the fans in my old laptop, luckily my Macbook very rarely uses them because the aluminium takes away most of the heat :P.
09-11-2009 07:17 PM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by absorbation
How many fans does your laptop have?
I don't think I ever saw a laptop with more than 1 fan. Maybe some huge models with one for the GPU and one for the CPU, but those probably won't compensate for eachother.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
09-11-2009 07:34 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
YourNeibour

48 / Male / Flag
it's dust/dirt...turn off your laptop/pc and you can clean it.
09-17-2009 04:31 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Although it can be dust/dirt, or a background program which continuesly demands a lot of CPU power, it often is a problem with the cooling plates.

Because of their small component size, laptops often rely heavily on cooling plates in addition to a fan. This because there isn't enough space to have a good air circulation inside the casing. Therefor, the fan is quite often 'only' used to cool the cooling plates and not for cooling the components directly. The heat from those plates is redirected to the fan which on its turn tries to transfer it outside.

So, although it can be dust/dirt in the outlet of the fan, it often is a problem with the cooling plates and thus not so much with dust/dirt.

So I'd suggest to check all the cooling plates (or let it check). Check if they still come in good contact with the components they need to disperse the heat from. Check if, were needed, the special cooling paste/adhesive is still there. This is especially important for the CPU and graphics chips; the cooling plates need to be pasted or bolted on the chips. Even the tiniest space between the components and the plates causes hot air to build up, which is detected by the temp. sensor and thus the fan is instructed to run faster. A cooling plate only functions properly when it is directly on the component it needs to disperse the heat from.

Now, the more you 'travel' with your laptop (even picking it up and holding it in your hands counts as 'traveling') the more the casing distorts and the more chance there is the cooling plates gets distorted and thus they loose the extreme close contact with the components they need to cool.

This is quite often the number one problem concearning heating problems (except for broken or runout ball barings of fans; but if those are broken or runout you would hear a whole different sound, more like rathling, coming from your fan).

-----

Note: if you attempt to clean out your laptop yourself with a can of compressed air or do other hardware maintenance on it, take an extremely great care not to distort those plates. Even tighting a nut to strongly or 'unclicking' certain plates can distort them. And even a slight distortion of one millimiter can cause the plates to malfunction.

Also, using compressed air isn't always so good either. Spraying air also caused air friction, which on its turn can cause static electricity to build up. Especially laptops and their extremely small components are very sensitive to this. Also never ever touch chips directly or with a screwdriver or whatever (unless you know exactly what you're doing), this for the same static electricity problem.

This post was edited on 10-19-2009 at 11:29 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
10-19-2009 11:23 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: