What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » Mini Laptop

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Mini Laptop
Author: Message:
wacky

Chromo :wink:

– / – / Flag
O.P. RE: Mini Laptop
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Since netbooks have very small screens you wont be able to do any heavy photoshopping/movie editing/whatever anyways as it isn't very practical.
I don't do any of those anyway :chrongue:
quote:
IMHO, it is better to choose for a bit less processing power over longer battery life because the main purpose of a netbook is mobility.
So my choice would still be an Intel Atom CPU.
I'll keep that in mind (y)
quote:
Something to watch for too: Some netbooks are advertised as eg: 10", although they only have a usuable screensize of 8" for example.
eek alright, I'll watch out for that, thank you very much :happy:
quote:
- Weight: is almost always _without_ the battery. The battery can add a lot of extra weight.
oh I didn't know this.. quite good to know

I'm not going to quote everything else that I find very useful because everything you've mentioned is very very useful to me. I greatly appreciate that you took the time to write all that for me, Cookie :happy: I will be reading that post again when I'm ready to buy one
quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
quote:
8.9" screen (1024x600)
I have a 9 inch netbook too (Eee PC), but at that size I find the keyboard keys too small to type comfortable on. If you want to use it for school, where you probably spend quite come time writing documents, keep that in mind. Try one out in the store, or better borrow one from a friend, if you have the chance.
well I'm most likely going to buy it in a store so I will be looking at it there. I just want to have an idea what to go look for and where I should go (this thread is very helpful with that). So for sure I'll be looking at it prior to buying it. Unfortunately, I only know one person with a netbook. He has an HP and I don't think that's what I want to go for.
quote:
Originally posted by andrey
Consider upgrading the RAM to 2GB if possible, it's only $30 more and everything will be a lot snappier than with the default 1GB RAM.
I'll definitely keep that in mind
quote:
Speaking of which. Not all netbooks are easy to upgrade by yourself (something else I found out after I bought the PB DOT)

Some are so tiny and so 'packed', and components (eg: HDD, memory) are so tightly integrated that it is impossible to upgrade/replace them by yourself. They aren't always accessable by individual panels. So consider putting some more money on the bank now instead of upgrading later. It could safe you a lot of trouble (and void of warrenty if you attempt to do it yourself)...
well, I don't know much about computers anymore. I haven't had a PC where I had to open it to fix some stuff for years now and I forgot all the important stuff about computers a long time ago. Unfortunately, the only things I do with a computer now are homework (I don't study anything related to computers), check emails, facebook and the plus forums. Heck, I have a computer class and we were learning about Word :-/ (not that I was learning much :chrongue:)
All this to say that I wouldn't try to attempt it on my own. I KNOW I would screw it up somehow :sad:
quote:
Originally posted by Chris.
I have the Dell Mini 10, would recommend it. I just don't use it though :P.
well you 'could' give it to me if you don't use it *-) :chrongue:

thanks everyone for the help. I greatly appreciate it :happy:
10-01-2009 11:56 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
albert
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Mini Laptop
I'd recommend getting exactly what Sunshine mentioned.

A netbook is great as a secondary computer, but processing power (Intel atom, AMD neo, Nvidia tegra(i think it's tegra)) is pretty low, so usually multi-tasking slows it down. Most people think they only do one thing at a time, but think that if you are running WLM, internet explorer and word while playing music is actually a lot.

When you do go with a ultra-portable computer with a ULV processor, you put more power on your side, while still having a all the advantages of portability and battery life.

If I remember correctly and that you do live in Montreal, take a look at this machine right here :

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?l...128773&catid=25313

It's extremely similar to the one Sunshine posted, you do get an 11.6 screen size with a pretty full sized keyboard and a screen on which you can actually read stuff. Battery lasts you up to 7 hours (say more like 6 for real usage), you get 3GB of ram and 250GB HDD which is very good. And of course, since it comes pre-loaded with Windows Vista Home Premium, you get a free copy of Windows 7 as well.

The unit is currently on sale at 449$. I sold one of them to my sister's boyfriend's sister. She loves it.
10-02-2009 12:36 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Almost all offer a free (or almost free) upgrade to Win 7. So that's not realy something extraordinary.
Not entirely true.

For example, none of the Asus Eee netbooks qualify for a free Windows 7 upgrade, see http://event.asus.com/2009/windows7/. Most Atom powered netbooks are currently distributed with Windows XP. While these netbooks are capable of running Windows 7 just fine, they do not qualify for a free Windows 7 upgrade.

Same for Dell. Haven't checked other manufacturers, but I believe a machine with Windows XP won't get you free (or extra discounted) Windows 7 anywhere. You are stuck with the usual upgrade prices. Unless you buy after October 22 when there's a good chance they'll come preloaded with Windows 7.

This post was edited on 10-02-2009 at 12:54 AM by Menthix.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
10-02-2009 12:52 AM
albert
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
quote:
Almost all offer a free (or almost free) upgrade to Win 7. So that's not realy something extraordinary.
Not entirely true.

For example, non of the Asus Eee netbooks qualify for a free Windows 7 upgrade, see http://event.asus.com/2009/windows7/. Most Atom powered netbooks are currently distributed with Windows XP. While these netbooks are capable of running Windows 7 just fine, they do not qualify for a free Windows 7 upgrade.

Same for Dell. Haven't checked other manufacturers, but I believe a machine with Windows XP won't get you free (or extra discounted) Windows 7 anywhere. You are stuck with the usual upgrade prices.

Although the manufacturers are saying that they are the ones giving the upgrade, it really is Microsoft and the conditions are that the purchase has been made between June 26th 2009 and January 31st 2010, and the the computer came pre-loaded with either Vista Home Premium, Vista Ultimate or Vista Buisness, in any case, you get the Windows 7 version you got with the computer.
10-02-2009 12:56 AM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by albert
and the the computer came pre-loaded with either Vista Home Premium, Vista Ultimate or Vista Buisness, in any case, you get the Windows 7 version you got with the computer
But like I said, most atom netbooks come preloaded with XP, not Vista.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
10-02-2009 09:20 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Yeah, I should indeed have been more clear, I meant those preloaded with Vista usually all can get a (almost) free upgrade these days. Those with XP usually don't...

quote:
A netbook is great as a secondary computer, but processing power (Intel atom, AMD neo, Nvidia tegra(i think it's tegra)) is pretty low, so usually multi-tasking slows it down. Most people think they only do one thing at a time, but think that if you are running WLM, internet explorer and word while playing music is actually a lot.
Even with the slowest processor out there those will run just fine.

Processing power is simply not that much important on netbooks. You will gain a lot more working speed when you invest in a bit more memory than in a faster processor. If you can have both, then that is even better of course, but you will also pay more.

A netbook, in the first place, is simply not meant to run process intensive tasks, it is meant to be extremely mobile and cheap. Of course that doesn't mean you shouldn't buy a fast and feature rich netbook if you are able to. But the times you would realy need all the extra processing power (over mobility, as that should be the mean reason why you want something so small) would be rare IMHO. Than you're better of buying a cheaper/smaller netbook and put the saved money into a bigger and better desktop or normal sized laptop. If processing power is the most important for you, then I think you shouldn't consider buying a netbook in the first place.

For everyday notetaking work or normal school tasks you don't need that much processing power (unless you're learning media or other course which requires some powerful programs, but then you would find the small screensize equally annoying and you would end up buying a normal laptop anyways).

This post was edited on 10-02-2009 at 01:43 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
10-02-2009 01:36 PM
micheljonshon

New Dell mini Laptops are available in market. They look really stylish and performance in these laptops is really great. you can get this laptop at an affordable price not more than $500.
10-06-2009 07:12 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
wacky

Chromo :wink:

– / – / Flag
O.P. RE: Mini Laptop
quote:
If I remember correctly and that you do live in Montreal, take a look at this machine right here :

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?l...128773&catid=25313

It's extremely similar to the one Sunshine posted, you do get an 11.6 screen size with a pretty full sized keyboard and a screen on which you can actually read stuff. Battery lasts you up to 7 hours (say more like 6 for real usage), you get 3GB of ram and 250GB HDD which is very good. And of course, since it comes pre-loaded with Windows Vista Home Premium, you get a free copy of Windows 7 as well.
I've been looking around a bit to compare. I actually found that Gateway netbook at Walmart for $400 instead of $500 at futur shop but neither place told me I would be able to get windows 7 although it's preloaded with Vista. All the other netbooks had windows XP.

The Acer seemed interesting. It came in two sizes but the smaller one seemed too small. The slightly bigger one (which I believe is the one Sunshine was talking about) was only 20 extra dollars.

quote:
For everyday notetaking work or normal school tasks you don't need that much processing power
I don't need it for anything crazy. Just simple stuff. I nearly only use the internet and word

I'm still going to look around keeping in mind what all of you have told me. Thanks again :happy:

This post was edited on 10-07-2009 at 11:32 PM by wacky.
10-07-2009 11:30 PM
Nathan
Veteran Member

Yeah, "large dimensions" ;)

– / Male / Flag
I would recommend AGAINST acer. Had nothing but problems with them, build quality is crap - how else do you think they get such a low price for the performance, they cut corners, and usually vital corners.
Touch Innovation - touch friendly programs/applications for the windows mobile!

10-08-2009 12:01 AM
albert
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by wacky
I've been looking around a bit to compare. I actually found that Gateway netbook at Walmart for $400 instead of $500 at futur shop but neither place told me I would be able to get windows 7 although it's preloaded with Vista. All the other netbooks had windows XP.

I work at futureshop, trust me when I say it does include the free upgrade, you might have to pay shipping charges though.
http://www.futureshop.ca/popup/windows7_lightbox02.asp

quote:
Originally posted by wacky
The Acer seemed interesting. It came in two sizes but the smaller one seemed too small. The slightly bigger one (which I believe is the one Sunshine was talking about) was only 20 extra dollars.
If you're talking about the ones at futureshop (the 8.9 and the 10.1 screensizes), look at which processor comes with it. I know cookie said it wouldn't change much, but honestly, I'd really recommend getting a ULV processor. Compared to the atom, it's worth the price difference.
10-08-2009 12:55 AM
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: