What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » Is australia really racist or is it a misconception

Pages: (4): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 » Last »
Is australia really racist or is it a misconception
Author: Message:
Jarrod
Veteran Member

woot simpson

– / Male / Flag
O.P. Is australia really racist or is it a misconception
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=92518
dicuss

[Image: 5344.png]
[Image: sig.png]

A.k.a. The Glad Falconer

10-09-2009 07:23 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
andrey
elite shoutboxer

– / Male / Flag
RE: Is australia really racist or is it a misconception
[Image: 2ccuxiu.png]

is it racist if i think this is hilarious?
[Image: w2kzw8qp-sq2_dz_b_xmas.png]
10-09-2009 07:33 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
ipab
Veteran Member

Design Evolved

34 / Male / Flag
I think comedy has a lot to do with gauging your audience. You wouldn't go onto a plane and make jokes about terrorists taking it over would you...

So, there is a time and a place for everything and I think in this case, it was appropriate. As far as black-face goes, it does have a bad history and I can see why people are up in arms about it.

I do however grow weary of this new-age political correctness bullshit... But on the other hand, it seems that Australia does seem have a bad rap, when it comes to being all inclusive with respect to minorities and such...

This post was edited on 10-09-2009 at 07:38 AM by ipab.
56656E692C 20566964692C 2056696369
10-09-2009 07:36 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Discrate
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Jarrod
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=92518
dicuss

I was going to make this thread, but decided not to because i have been ranting in the sb about it for the past 2 days.

The american media are just plain stupid. They say australia is backward 30 years, when infact we are 30 years ahead because we do not take race seriously. They live in a political correct society where everything you do is racist. A white person driving a black car would be racist.

The skit that was performed was meant to be humerous, it is a parody of the jackson 5. What colour are the jackson 5? black, so they wore black wigs and black face paint, i fail to see how that's racist. If they the skit was about parodying black people then that would be pushing the line.

But the funniest thing about this all is that 3 of the performers are actually indian and 2 others are lebanese. Oh the irony.

Anyway, as i see it, if you take offence to someone saying something about your race then you are pretty much saying you are ashamed of your race. For example, If a black person came up to me and said "Your a white dog" I would in no way take offence to this and would piss myself with laughter. But if it was the other way around and i said that to a black person, they would take huge offence to it. That basically says that they are ashamed of there race, and they think that there race is bad.

P.S i would love for Rolando to come into here and tell us all why he thinks what they did was racist.

It seems political correctness has been imprinted into peoples brains already. Automatically when they see someone wearing black face paint they think it's racist.

This post was edited on 10-09-2009 at 07:44 AM by Discrate.
10-09-2009 07:37 AM
ipab
Veteran Member

Design Evolved

34 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by ipab

Quick, catch this LGBT basher!!!!oneone11eleven

P.S. I do find the prospect of a black/gay batman humorous and oddly fitting. (It puts a whole different spin on why Robin is always around him...)

quote:
Originally posted by Discrate
But the funniest thing about this all is that 3 of the performers are actually indian and 2 others are lebanese. Oh the irony.

Let me be the first to tell you that minorities are just as racist as non-minorities. People are people. The debate here was whether blackface was appropriate, not whether a White person did it, or an Indian did it...

Just because a minority is racist, does not make it ironic nor does it make it appropriate...

This post was edited on 10-09-2009 at 07:43 AM by ipab.
56656E692C 20566964692C 2056696369
10-09-2009 07:40 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Discrate
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Is australia really racist or is it a misconception
quote:
quote:

Quick, catch this LGBT basher!!!!oneone11eleven

P.S. I do find the prospect of a black/gay batman humorous and oddly fitting. (It puts a whole different spin on why Robin is always around him...)

quote:

Let me be the first to tell you that minorities are just as racist as non-minorities. People are people. The debate here was whether blackface was appropriate, not whether a White person did it, or an Indian did it...

Just because a minority is racist, does not make it ironic nor does it make it appropriate...

There is no debate on whether blackface was appropriate, because it was appropriate. The performers were pretending to be the jackson 5, the jackson 5 were black so they wore black face. The debate is weather it was racist or not.

It's all political correctness, combined with the overuse of the word "racist" "oh look they are wearing black face paint thats racist"

"look he has black hair, thats racist"

People are obviously not happy with other people pretending to be a race that there not, which is utterly stupid.

This post was edited on 10-09-2009 at 07:50 AM by Discrate.
10-09-2009 07:47 AM
vaccination
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
The question of it being racist is all down to whether it was a serious tribute or they were taking the piss. [though, if they were taking the piss, you then have to split it into what they were taking the piss of to determine if it's racist]

If you wanted to be extreme you could flip the argument around and say it's racist to not allow white people to 'dress up' as black people in order to pay tribute/show respect[or even if they just want to be black, I guess]. Same as it being apparently racist for me to call my homeboys niggaz[as in good friends, the same as any other black [gangsta] man does]

[Image: zippystretch.gif]

This post was edited on 10-09-2009 at 08:09 AM by vaccination.
[Image: jumbled.png]
10-09-2009 08:09 AM
Discrate
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
The question of it being racist is all down to whether it was a serious tribute or they were taking the piss. [though, if they were taking the piss, you then have to split it into what they were taking the piss of to determine if it's racist]

If you wanted to be extreme you could flip the argument around and say it's racist to not allow white people to 'dress up' as black people in order to pay tribute/show respect. Same as it being apparently racist for me to call my homeboys niggaz[as in good friends, the same as any other black [gangsta] man does]

They were taking the piss, but not out of the jackson 5, out of themselfs. That's the whole point of the segment. People come and perform things and usually make fools of themselfs and they win prizes.
10-09-2009 08:11 AM
vaccination
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
quote:
quote:

If you wanted to be extreme you could flip the argument around and say it's racist to not allow white people to 'dress up' as black people in order to pay tribute/show respect. Same as it being apparently racist for me to call my homeboys niggaz[as in good friends, the same as any other black [gangsta] man does]

They were taking the piss, but not out of the jackson 5, out of themselfs. That's the whole point of the segment. People come and perform things and usually make fools of themselfs and they win prizes.
fair 'nuff, I didn't watch vid p:
[Image: jumbled.png]
10-09-2009 08:15 AM
Discrate
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
quote:
quote:

fair 'nuff, I didn't watch vid p:

I knew you didn't lol, as if you would.
10-09-2009 08:18 AM
Pages: (4): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: