What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Contact List Cleaner

Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
Contact List Cleaner
Author: Message:
Benji

every player gets a prize

36 / Male / Flag
RE: Contact List Cleaner
hehe.. ok.
~standing in the way of control
11-02-2009 05:09 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Lvarlik

O.P. RE: Contact List Cleaner
is there any resolution ?
11-09-2009 03:55 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Benji

36 / Male / Flag
other than wait it out and see if it ever fixes on it own? noope.. :(
11-09-2009 03:58 PM
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
No? This isn't controlled by Messenger Plus!. This is a server side notification issue with the Windows Live Messenger servers. It may be a temporary issue we don't know. We don't have access to it. The only information we can see about it is what is in the reverse list (which is provided by those servers. Plus! just simply puts a nice easy to use GUI around it.)
11-09-2009 04:02 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Also note that the some problems with the Contact List Cleaner, or in other words the Reverse List of Messenger itself, can be caused by manipulating the files of Messenger.

For example: removing or renaming wldlog.dll to 'fix' the problem of not being able to sign in, is one of these causes!
see -SOLVED- Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered .......

So, if you ever tried to fix a problem in Messenger by removing, renaming or hacking Messenger (like changing the version number), then please undo what you have done. Even if you did something like that in the past, with a previous version, the problem might still be there depending on how you upgraded to or installed the new version.

In most cases, this means completely removing Messenger and all of its components and files. Then download the newest version and reinstall. Using the repair function in 'add/remove programs' isn't going to work.

The Reverse List not being correct is just one example of the many underlying problems which will occur if you try to manipulate Messenger.

This post was edited on 11-10-2009 at 09:46 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
11-10-2009 09:44 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
aznmachine

RE: RE: Contact List Cleaner
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Also note that the some problems with the Contact List Cleaner, or in other words the Reverse List of Messenger itself, can be caused by manipulating the files of Messenger.

For example: removing or renaming wldlog.dll to 'fix' the problem of not being able to sign in, is one of these causes!
see -SOLVED- Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered .......

So, if you ever tried to fix a problem in Messenger by removing, renaming or hacking Messenger (like changing the version number), then please undo what you have done. Even if you did something like that in the past, with a previous version, the problem might still be there depending on how you upgraded to or installed the new version.

In most cases, this means completely removing Messenger and all of its components and files. Then download the newest version and reinstall. Using the repair function in 'add/remove programs' isn't going to work.

The Reverse List not being correct is just one example of the many underlying problems which will occur if you try to manipulate Messenger.

although I didn't manipulate any of the files apart, I will try the fresh re-install. I emailed windows live support and all they've suggested so far is to remove contacts cache and let live remake it which hasn't worked... I mentioned "reverse lists" but they didn't respond to that directly.. ^o)
11-10-2009 07:42 PM
Benji

36 / Male / Flag
When I first got the problem I tried repairing & then just completely uninstalling and reinstalling windows live and plus. tried twice. but that didn't work.

what's the contacts cache? where do i delete that?
(and if I do delete it, what will it remove?)
11-10-2009 11:43 PM
djdannyp
Elite Member

Danny <3 Sarah

37 / Male / Flag
\Documents and Settings\your_username\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Live Contacts\your_windows_live_id\
\Documents and Settings\your_username\Contacts\your_windows_live_id\

Exit WLM and delete those two folders and it will force your WLM to re-download your contacts from the server, which may or may not re-synchronise your reverse list (and therefore contact cleanup). 

All this will remove is stored display pictures and log-in names for contacts who have been online.  It's worth a try, but it doesn't appear to have worked for aznmachine

[Image: 1ftt0hpk-signature.png]
AutoStatus Script || Facebook Status Script
5225 days, 6 hours, 41 minutes, 51 seconds ago
11-11-2009 02:07 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
PS: something else which will influence the Reverse List is the fact that if contacts didn't sign in for 135 days, they are actually removed from your list.

I dunno what 'removed' exactly means in this case, but I strongly suspect they are still visible as a list item in your contact list (which migh actually be a bug), but you will not recieve any updates/nick changes/etc anymore and you will probably notice that 'they don't have you' in the Contact List Cleanup. They aren't automatically added back; you must remove the contact and add it again yourself.

More about this can be found (somewhere) on http://help.live.com/

This post was edited on 11-12-2009 at 11:20 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
11-12-2009 11:12 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
djdannyp
Elite Member

Danny <3 Sarah

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
PS: something else which will influence the Reverse List is the fact that if contacts didn't sign in for 135 days, they are actually removed from your list.

Hmm, I've just had a look through my contact list and can't confirm that.  Just found one contact who hasn't signed in since December 2008 and they're still showing as "having me" in contact list cleanup.

I think the current problem is just a server synchronisation issue and nothing to do with WLM or Messenger Plus! Live.  As I've stated in another thread, I get exactly the same feedback on aMSN as to which contacts do and don't have me in their contact list, when I know for a fact that some of the ones it's saying don't have me do have me.
[Image: 1ftt0hpk-signature.png]
AutoStatus Script || Facebook Status Script
5225 days, 6 hours, 41 minutes, 51 seconds ago
11-12-2009 12:23 PM
Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: